Flashing, Step/pan/wall - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Flashing, Step/pan/wall

Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodel / repairs / Certified Mold inspector, Remediator
Rewards Points: 250

Flashing, Step/pan/wall

Here is something I not seen much on here, yet with all the different locations each is from, just interested in knowing what most use or see.

What is the typical type of flashing you see on homes you work on?
That cheesy aluminum foil flashing
Flashing made from coil stock
Copper
Stainless steel

For overlaps, such as on deck to wall flashing & turning corners
What is the avg overlap you run and or find?
Do you apply or find others have applied the proper caulking at these joints?
If so, what type do you apply or believe you find?

Finally, when applied or discovered, is the flashing installed under or over the moisture barrier on the house?

Never judge another by one's own intelligence

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Flashing, Step/pan/wall

Here's a link to some of my albums. If you have any questions about anything, let me know the album title.

The site went php and I cannot link to individual photos, nor can I edit.

Advertisement

Last edited by tinner666; 12-22-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

1-roof meeting side of house, usually packets of aluminum step flashing
2-chimneys, copper, step with counter flashing, (all copper)
3-caulking? i have found everything from blackjack (tar). to painters plus.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Here's a link to some of my albums. If you have any questions about anything, let me knoe the album title.

Great photos Tinner & I would not expect less from you in the time I have read your post & seen some of your pics on here.

The reason for my post is to see what is being applied today with all the knowledge that is out there about improper products & installation.
Today more so than not, there is no excuse for the damages discovered on to many homes.
I can trufully say I have "never" used that cheesy reynolds wrap flashing in over 30 years in residential construction. But that is because I was taught not to from day one and that does make a difference.

You know the only difference between proper & improper materials & installation is experience & pride in what one does.

Improper flashing & installation is the cause of so much wood decay damage.
One of these days ABC roofing & best distributors will stop carrying that reynolds wrap flashing just to stop hearing me rag on them each time I walk in the stores, hahaha. I keep on telling them thy need to stop competing with homo depot & lowes with that nassy stuff..

With this forum like with so many others, trades people can learn from to better their business while reducing their liability. And both are good things.

Merry Christmas to you & yours Tinner

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
1-roof meeting side of house, usually packets of aluminum step flashing
2-chimneys, copper, step with counter flashing, (all copper)
3-caulking? i have found everything from blackjack (tar). to painters plus.
Copper is great
As long as the packets of step flashing is the heavy alum, not the reynolds wrap that is good as well.
If you work with roofers in your area and give work back & forth, ask them if they have a machine to cut out their step flashing, if so you can work out a deal with them to cut your copper step flashing as well.
I have a maxi brake to bend my pan & valley flashing when I use copper or 305 SS, The roofer I have do any roofs I still get calls for, he has the machine for all their flashing cuts, I give him the material and he brings me back my cut list.

And ya, when I do find caulking was used, it is typically latex painters caulk. More than not, I find none, no caulking at all and lucky to find an inch overlap.

Most flashing I see around here is that cheesy reynolds wrap flashing & here in the Southeast on the coast the salt eats it up in no time. Even inland it should not be sold, in my opinion. For the limited work I do now, it keeps me as busy as I want changing it out & repairing the wood decay or selling the jobs to ones I know use proper materials & installation methods.

Merry Christmas to you & yours G

Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Here's a link to some of my albums. If you have any questions about anything, let me knoe the album title.

I don't see the link Tinner.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
I don't see the link Tinner.
It's the links in his signature area below his post Neo, he has some great pics of fidnings & causes as wll as his work.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

some of the builders use either a 20'' roll of galvinized or ice shield coming up the wall a foot some use bolth some use that paper backed coil whatever junk dont even bring it up the wall pass the decking i counter flash the ledger 3'' over top 8'' up the wall i use tyvek tape to isolate the aluminum from the treated ledger i dont over lap i do a interlocking hem seam filled with sealant then wrb if the decking is on i either see if i can pull the first pc if i cant i flash the deck board lately ive been useing pvc trim as a water table on the decking then starting my siding ontop of that gets the j off the decking where it always filles up with junk
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Pro

My bad. this is the link I musta omitted; http://rcs.si-sv2628.com/photo_album_list.asp?u=30

As I noted before.
Here's a link to some of my albums. If you have any questions about anything, let me know the album title.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Pro

And a Merry Christmas to you Burby.

PS, After seeing the missing link, it must have looked like I was advertising. Glad you liked my work though.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Pro

great craftmanship tinner
Old 12-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Don't Eat Yellow Snow!

Trade: Pro Slater and Roofer
Rewards Points: 254

Hi All, In England we use mainly lead as a flashing, it is fairly easy to use and can be dress in to place where say aluminum can't.
I also weld pieces together to get around say the corner apron or back gutter of a chimney, occasionaly you will come across chimneys flashed in copper or zinc as for caulking we used to use a cement mortar mix but with the thermal movement of lead this tends to fall out so we use a product called 'Leadmate' which is a flexable mastic.
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing, step/pan/wall-hillberry-lower4.jpg   Flashing, step/pan/wall-church3.jpg   Flashing, step/pan/wall-haydock-st10.jpg  
Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
Pro

Nice work Dave. I always weaved my tile and lead or copper, though the specs called for a channeled flashing. With a weave, I didn't have those openings where the lead steps down. Looks good though!

Last edited by tinner666; 12-23-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Pro

The last picture is an example of why. Look closely and you can see the side lap of the front term flashing sticking out beyound the first side piece. It's catching water.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
Pro

wow beutiful
Old 12-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #16
Pro

Dave, a helpful tip. Whenever you have to lap pieces like that, taper the overlapper piece so the top corner is about 2" under the next one. Water can't catch it then. Same as shingles over a channel flashing.
None roofers don't taper shingles over channel flashing. Thye cut them square so the channel can clog up in 3-5 years and need cleaning, at which time I taper them. Much harder at this time, but good money in the repair work!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #17
Pro

Shortly after I moved here to SC, I was having breakfast in a local diner & this guy hear me talking to one of my guys about work & he came to our table & after intro asked me if I had any roofing he could do. He had been in business for 15 or 16 yrs, but his area had just died out and he as well had moved here to Charleston. He said, I will work for you one day, if you don;t like my work or think I earnt my money, simply don;t pay me, no questions, no hard feelings, I just would like a chance to try.
I could not refuse an offer like that, he had to have great work ethics and know his work.
He only hand nails and yet can put most to shame that use a gun, no joke. He was in his early 40s and if he was talking to you, he was twirling roof nails in his fingers, on the roof he never wasted a move, all you heard was tap bang, tap bang as fast as I can say it he did it. Each coarse was as straight as one could ask for. Only a few squares of shingle were ever allowed roof top, he prefered to carry his up the ladder or on larger jobs his electric rig on his ladder to send them up there. He worked for me for about 6 or 8 years til I think it was hurricane floyd that went thru Fla an dhe grabbed his tar kettle and went there as he did a lot of commecial as well. I hated to see him go, but at the same time I was glad to have met him & had the chance to have him work for me all he did.
One thing that surprised me was here in SC the vent pipe flanges typically used are the metal one with the neopreme boot, the sun kills them in a few years. I picked up lead flanges like I had always used up North, instead of changing them every few years, I like to see longer out of them than that. He had me return them and he would not install them.
No ****, even at ABC when I returned them and mentioned why I needed the typical disposable ones, another salesman heard me talking and agreed, the grey squrriels here eat the **** out of the lead ones. They die later but they will eat the lead like it is some kind of nut.. I had never heard of that before.
Needless to say I still have a roll of 8 inch lead in my shop I have had since moving here to SC in 1989. It's in a safe to keep it from them dang squrriels, hahaha, not really, to many cats here to worry out that part.
But serious on the squrriels and the lead though, that just amazed me.
So now it is copper or the cheapies, good for service calls a few years later.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Pro

When I use the disposable ones, I get the tall black PVC boots, silicone it, then after install, I cut the flat base off another one, silicone it, and slide it down over the first one. Should last 20 years, hopefully. If not, the simple fix is to cut the base off another and replace the upper one.
You cannot do this with the metal/rubber ones. They have no 'stack' between the base and the rubber seal. When they go, water can pour in.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
Pro

Oh yeah. Squirrels do love lead in Va. I've gone on leaks and found nothing but the base!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
Don't Eat Yellow Snow!

Trade: Pro Slater and Roofer
Rewards Points: 254

HI Tinner, and thanks for the comments, yes i know what you mean about the apron lead (bottom peice) we usually leave it longer than the side flash and lip it back over to stop wind lift.
I think you mean a secret side vally running down the side of the chimney? any way that photo wasn't my best work and only a repair(i didnt do the tileing) i will try to post some others when i have time to up-load them.
any way hope you all have a good Christmas.
Dave

Advertisement