Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

It finally happened

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  JenniferTemple 
#1 ·
I dont have a clue how many times Ive been crawling around in attic space but it finally happened today. Im blowing in insulation on 6 duplexes built in the 60s. Im about 3 hours into crawling around on ceiling joists in the dusty darkness and I get to the point where Im over the garage and blowing it above the kitchen. There was a small strip of plywood I could kneel down on. So Im on me knees and my toes were touching the drywall and at some point I must have put some weight on my toes. It was 1/2 on 24" so it didnt take much. Plus these places are in a wet hole so everything is damp in them. I caught myself and got out of the hole, otherwise I would have ended up on the hood of a pontiac vibe. I was hoping to be done early today but instead had to work late patching the ceiling.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I got lucky there, it was right in front of the car so nothing hit the car and it wasnt one of the unit where the tenants have the garage packed to the ceiling with junk.

Why doesn't somebody design a robotic, 3 foot long tracked blower, directional spout, with a camera on it.

Have a remote controlled deflector like on a snow blower so you can put it where you want it?

That way you wouldn't have to crawl around up there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ive thought about that but then again you have to drag the robot up there. Then it will get hung up or the hose will so you have to get back up there.

#8 ·
That happened to me twice in the same house. This was a long time ago when I first got started.

The HO and his dad put up all new drywall, paint, texture, the whole nine yards. Ceiling, walls, you name it. Then he calls me to come in and replace all the knob and tube wiring :censored:

Plus he had an unpermitted rental in the old garage. Everything was run off a fully loaded Zinsco panel.

I needed the job and the money (after all this, I think I ended working for $20 an hour tops on this POS job).

120 degrees in the attic crawl. All unmarked, not to code wiring installed by some handyman. This was all wire nutted to K&T.

Slipped off the joists, cracked the cracked the kitchen ceiling. Same in the bathroom, although there, my leg went through. Probably lost 20lbs just in sweat on this job. Luckily, he was getting such a cheap deal from me, he just went ahead and patched it all himself.

#15 ·
I used to do a lot of attic work in apartment buildings. A co worker went completely through the ceiling and landed on his feet, did not smash his face on the 16 oc joists. He was very lucky.

We also had a guy who would walk directly on the plaster and lath not on the joists. He lasted 2 days.

#16 ·
There was roofers at the wifes dads house and one guy went through the roof and through the ceiling into a bedroom. Took out a ceiling fan and landed on a bed. He said he ankle felt like he might have sprained it. Not sure how he managed to miss all the framing to make it all the way into the house.

#20 ·
Makes me love my really old house! :thumbup: My whole attic is boarded over with some boards removable. The insulators had no trouble at all. If you could stand up you could walk all over it. (You can not stand up, its a low ceiling)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.