Finally, California Cracks Down Hard On Businesses With No Permits - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Finally, California Cracks Down Hard On Businesses With No Permits

Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

Finally, California Cracks Down Hard On Businesses With No Permits

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 at 4:52 pm
California Lemonade Stand Shut Down: Business Permit Required

By Shannon Bell

An eight year old girl wanted to go to Disneyland she had a good idea; open a lemonade stand. The California lemonade stand was shut down. The reason? No business permit. I kid you not.

Lemonade
Daniela Earnest thought selling lemonade might just be the ticket to get her to Disneyland. Her father, trying to instill in her work ethic and a lesson about earning your way, suggested to her that she sell lemonade to earn the money for Disneyland passes. The city of Tulare thought different. The California lemonade stand shut down without permit.

The Tulare city council says that the location of Daniela’s lemonade stand was too dangerous. They say if she had opened the stand in her yard there would have been no problems. Unfortunately for Daniela there isn’t as much traffic in her neighborhood.

A Tulare code enforcer, happened to be at the same intersection that Daniela and her mother set the lemonade stand up at. He told her that her stand was in a dangerous area and that she needed a permit to sell lemonade. How ridiculous; I understand the safety part, but a permit?
Fortunately for Daniela, after taking her case to the Tulare City Council and getting nowhere, a local radio station managed four passes to Disneyland. I hope for Daniela’s sake this will in no way hinder the little entrepreneur in her.

California Lemonade Stand

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Crash Test Dummy

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Finally, California Cracks Down Hard On Businesses With No Permits

Hmmmm...

I think I'll hire a neighborhood kid to open a fruit stand on the corner to sell fruit so "daddy can get a truck to go to work and help feed us".

Then I'll call the local council and report the unlicensed fruit stand.

Then I'll call the local news and inform of the council's bully shakedown tactics on the kid.

So...what kind of truck should I get?

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,244

I think the city had a point...she could have contributed to an accident while people were stopping for a drink...The intersection looked real busy and as the PO said, their was no shoulder....

But at least they didn't tase the little girl....

[Rodney king]Can't we all just get along[/Rodney King]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

They're just mad she wasn't kicking up cash to the state...
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnettica For This Useful Post:
trptman (08-07-2009)
Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
They're just mad she wasn't kicking up cash to the state...

Get used to a lot more of that.

They're really ramping up on the tax collections here.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I'm confused, so why is it not acceptable to expect your kids to play by the rules that adults are playing? Where does this mentality of innocence come from from? I am not trying to be an ass about this. But I don't get the "because your a kid the rules should be changed, but we don't know what they should be so we will post this type of question on CT and hopefully a consensus will take place and the majority will rule in my favor. Why are parents not taking this issue more seriously? Why are we governing by TV, the masses etc… and allowing others to determine our fate? As opposed to arming our kids with the Darwinian thinking that just because you’re a kid doesn’t mean that you can ride on that thought for the rest of your life. I own a business. It is not easy and I don’t get hand outs. I could work for someone else, but like everyone else on CT this chat board is about being independent. I hope that we are sharing our vast knowledge base with our kids and being patient with them and explaining that you don’t have to work for “the man”, but remember, "you got to serve somebody”. So listen kid, this is the way it works. There is a game going on here and you need to know the way it’s played. Rule no. one…….. on your way up the ladder you will meet people going down. Be nice to them cuz, on your way down you will meet them again. Kids are intuitive and knowing. Your feelings are manifested around them. They know what’s going on. Tell them the rules. Be brave. Be calm and wait for the signs.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: scab
Rewards Points: 500

Tulare County is a very small county as far as population and tight on resources. I have a friend quit the Tulare County Sheriffs to join Fresno County..Tuluare County pay sucks.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Same was true when I lived in WA. Even if it was at your own place. Business permit also required for a yard sale. You needed a business license if you sold goods, plain and simple. That's how the state looked at it.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 08-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
You needed a business license if you sold goods, plain and simple.
It's such a scam. I applied for a business license for "Bob's Marijuana Store" and got raided and thrown in jail.

How dare they treat business owners like that!

Not to mention the crap I got from the Highway Patrol after I got the truck lettered. I had my DOT#, warning triangles, and fire extinguisher.

Maybe I needed a HazMat placard?

Last edited by HusqyPro; 08-08-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
Same was true when I lived in WA. Even if it was at your own place. Business permit also required for a yard sale. You needed a business license if you sold goods, plain and simple. That's how the state looked at it.
WOW! That's a new one on me.

A few years back in Duval county a local news station did an uncover story on "beggers". The ammount of money the people acting as homeless made prompted the city to require a peddler of services license.

St. Johns County tried the same for street performers in St. Augestine.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

What comes around, goes around. A month or so ago, we were having a garage sale. My wife went and posted signs everywhere and we set up shop. Within an hour, a cop shows up with ALL our signs and told us we were breaking local reg's on signage use. Needless to say, we didn't do that well since no one knew we were open.

Now, pocket book wise, it was a good things because all the building materials I didn't sell, I donated and got a BIG tax write off but the whole idea of them dicks being pricks with nothing better to do, irked me a tad bit.

I took my complaint to the next township meeting and they basically told me I broke the rules so I had no reason to complain. So, me being a good citizen, took it upon myself to further their agenda.

I now, daily, patrol my township and take pictures and notes of all the rules broke locally. There are quite a lot and some pretty costly mistakes sitting out there.

Now, the board cringes when I appear before each session to show everyone the violators but I sure have the police so busy, they have no time to mess with the average citizen who's having a weekend garage sale.

I also propsed they reduce their headcount and save money on those saleries because I'm UNOFFICALLY, doing some people's jobs for free and they haven't been doing a very good job it seems. In fact, a bunch of locals have started a recall signing to get these scum off of the board.

Nothing worse then people in power abusing their authority. Some of us will stand up and fight back.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

Looks like I'm gonna have to take my lemonade buis. underground. Pssst, meet me round back I just made some good stuff. It will make you feel good and you can't get addicted the first time. I do it all the time and i'm not hooked...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
Painter/Rehaber

Trade: Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10fingers View Post
I'm confused, so why is it not acceptable to expect your kids to play by the rules that adults are playing? Where does this mentality of innocence come from from? I am not trying to be an ass about this. But I don't get the "because your a kid the rules should be changed, but we don't know what they should be so we will post this type of question on CT and hopefully a consensus will take place and the majority will rule in my favor. Why are parents not taking this issue more seriously? Why are we governing by TV, the masses etc… and allowing others to determine our fate? As opposed to arming our kids with the Darwinian thinking that just because you’re a kid doesn’t mean that you can ride on that thought for the rest of your life. I own a business. It is not easy and I don’t get hand outs. I could work for someone else, but like everyone else on CT this chat board is about being independent. I hope that we are sharing our vast knowledge base with our kids and being patient with them and explaining that you don’t have to work for “the man”, but remember, "you got to serve somebody”. So listen kid, this is the way it works. There is a game going on here and you need to know the way it’s played. Rule no. one…….. on your way up the ladder you will meet people going down. Be nice to them cuz, on your way down you will meet them again. Kids are intuitive and knowing. Your feelings are manifested around them. They know what’s going on. Tell them the rules. Be brave. Be calm and wait for the signs.
It's a child's lemon aid stand for God's sake. What is wrong with you? You also don't score runs for a bunch of 5 yr. olds playing t-ball. You start with the basics.
HusqyPro (08-08-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

So your argument is it's kids? Is that the best you can do?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
Painter/Rehaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10fingers View Post
So your argument is it's kids? Is that the best you can do?
Do I need more?

The only real problem here is that she was selling on a busy intersection. That is a no no. When our officials decide that children selling lemonaid and people having a garage sale need permits that's a freaking problem.

Yea. I guess the little girl should have formed a corp. and hired an accountant too before she set up her stand.

Children need a starting point. First you teach them how to sell and they learn the rewards for doing so (Monatary gain). You work your way up from there. Does a 7 year old really need to understand government intervention before she understands rewards for her efforts? If so, then this is a very sad sad society that we live in.

Do you pay your children an allowance? If so, I hope they all have their work permits and that you have all the necessary tax forms filled out. Are they considered subcontractors or do they punch a clock before they do their chores?

Remember, you learn the alphabet before you learn to spell words. From there you move on to form a sentance. From there a paragraph. and so on.

I can go on and on, but I think you all get my point.

Common sense has been thrown to the wayside and these kind of actions by gov't officials really piss me off.
HusqyPro (08-09-2009)
Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
Crash Test Dummy

yeah...they're just kids.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022008...her_104649.htm

A group of Georgia third-graders concocted an elaborate revenge plot to attack their teacher during class with an assortment of weapons - including a broken steak knife, handcuffs and a crystal paperweight, police said.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #17
Painter/Rehaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawCharlie View Post
yeah...they're just kids.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022008...her_104649.htm

A group of Georgia third-graders concocted an elaborate revenge plot to attack their teacher during class with an assortment of weapons - including a broken steak knife, handcuffs and a crystal paperweight, police said.
Teacher was probably a beioch. Been there. I can relate with those children.

Hopefully they had their permits.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #18

So when do they start cracking down on those darn girlscouts?

Advertisement