Felony Background Checks - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Felony Background Checks

Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
RFN 4A LVN

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Felony Background Checks

I perform a background check on my crews and anyone employed by me prior to hiring.I Know and understand that everyone is not perfect.My focus isn't so much on alcohol or marijuana offenses as much as it is on serious felony crimes.Robberies,thefts,methamphetamine,cocaine,he roin,homicide and rape.

I do alot of daycares,and we are always near a school.Almost every home that I roof or sub out contains children.About a 1-1/2 years ago I started running everyone through the Missouri sex offenders database.

I am really paranoid about the effects it could have on my business having a convicted sex offender employed by me.Does anyone else run its crews and employees through your states sex offender database?

Do you think convicted sex offenders have a place within your business?
meaning.,they did their time for the crime and its time to move on,and let the past stay in the past?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 710

Re: Felony Background Checks

Background checks are getting to very common in residential work.

Certain commercial & PW jobs they are mandatory.
Out here, if you do any work on a school, when kids or preachers I mean teachers, are present fingerprinting of crew is mandatory.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

I view people on an individual basis. Due to our "justice" system being in reality, a "legal" system written by and prosecuted by politicians, I learn more. It's amazing to me how small things can be felonies. I've learned to take restraining/domestic cases with a grain of salt as they are often used as a weapon in relationships. I can't prove it, but one of my ex girlfriends was trying to set me up for "rape" once--I weaseled my way out of the house w/o any physical contact.

If someone pushes/threatens/cusses out my wife, I'm going to pound him and I'll probably wind up being guilty of a crime. Yet illegals walk every day for things like, dealing heroin and stealing cars.

I've worked with former criminals that I could trust and choir boys that couldn't even be honest when you asked them what time it was.

Glad I don't have to play that paper game as I know what "justice" is and what's right and wrong. However, neither I, nor anyone else knows what the "legal" system is.

unsolicited input over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

I volunteer teaching behavioral modification classes for ex-offenders. So I am naturally biased.

I have the advantage (disadvantage?) of knowing far more than the average person about sex offender classification mismanagement. You would be surprised at how many people never should have been so classified...... AND how many of us sitting right here in our chairs would also have been labeled sex offenders for what was considered "growing up" a few generations ago.... if our actions had occurred today.

That being said, however, YES, it will negatively affect your business if someone outs a sex offender you've hired.... even if he (or she) was guilty of no more than peeing on a tree in public. (Ever do THAT on a job when there was no Port-O-John?)

Last edited by Willie T; 03-02-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,062

That is a KEY point to differentiate your employees compared to your supposed equal competition.

Do you utilize the fact that you process these background checks to make the consumer aware of other potential unsavory subs or employees working at competing companies?

How much does your service charge and how long before you obtain results. Also, if you do not mind giving your company you use a plug, please include a link to them here.

Ed
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

An ex-offender needs employment. And it is something that I would take on a case by case basis. And my sentiment is the same as CO762's in that not every person with the label "sex offender" on their record is necessarily a threat. I had an employee who was previously accused of exposing himself to a young child in the public restroom. It turned out to be a misunderstanding and the whole thing was dismissed without any further incident except for the fact that he had to be put on the list until he could file a lawsuit to get himself off of the list. Essentially the justice system preferred to err on the side of wrongly accusing this guy to ensure the safety of the child but for the most part, they ruined the reputation of a guy who was an honest, hard working, responsible citizen in his community.

And then I also take into consideration that lets say that I were to employ a guy who is the classic example of a sex offender.. where he actually did the crime, he wouldn't be a threat to the children because he would always be under the supervision of myself and the children will always be supervised. Child sex offenders usually do their crimes in secret in familiar settings where the child knows and "trusts" the offender.

Now all things considered, there are some really bad people out there that I wouldn't hire to collect my trash, much less hire for a full time gig. And because of that, I think that bringing up the topic about background checks was very good because I don't think that enough of us are doing it as often as we should.

We shouldn't use it as a sole form of pre-screening but I think that it can be used to open a dialogue to ask the employee about his side of the story and/or what's different now than what took place back then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedanderson For This Useful Post:
a1propertyclean (03-03-2011), CO762 (03-03-2011), UALocal1Plumber (03-08-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

If I was a roofing contractor I would be very concerned about marijuana and alcohol offenses. If they can't keep their habits under control after hours, they probably won't be able to on the clock.

I see where you're coming from, I'm sure the line for people who want to do brutal dangerous work does run around the block. One fall could put you out of business though.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
If I was a roofing contractor I would be very concerned about marijuana and alcohol offenses. If they can't keep their habits under control after hours, they probably won't be able to on the clock.
Right on man. Marijuana is a dangerous drug and could cause somebody to start raping or killing. Can't have that in the workplace. I'm sure there aren't any roofers who smoke pot anyway.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

I run background checks, there problems are not mine.
http://sacramentomillworks.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scribbles For This Useful Post:
J L (03-06-2011), TNTRenovate (03-05-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post
An ex-offender needs employment. And it is something that I would take on a case by case basis. And my sentiment is the same as CO762's in that not every person with the label "sex offender" on their record is necessarily a threat. I had an employee who was previously accused of exposing himself to a young child in the public restroom. It turned out to be a misunderstanding and the whole thing was dismissed without any further incident except for the fact that he had to be put on the list until he could file a lawsuit to get himself off of the list. Essentially the justice system preferred to err on the side of wrongly accusing this guy to ensure the safety of the child but for the most part, they ruined the reputation of a guy who was an honest, hard working, responsible citizen in his community.

And then I also take into consideration that lets say that I were to employ a guy who is the classic example of a sex offender.. where he actually did the crime, he wouldn't be a threat to the children because he would always be under the supervision of myself and the children will always be supervised. Child sex offenders usually do their crimes in secret in familiar settings where the child knows and "trusts" the offender.

Now all things considered, there are some really bad people out there that I wouldn't hire to collect my trash, much less hire for a full time gig. And because of that, I think that bringing up the topic about background checks was very good because I don't think that enough of us are doing it as often as we should.

We shouldn't use it as a sole form of pre-screening but I think that it can be used to open a dialogue to ask the employee about his side of the story and/or what's different now than what took place back then.
Those are some of the wisest comments I've read anywhere in a while.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Being a former drug user myself, I can tell you that reefer is about the WORST drug there is due to people think it doesn't change/affect them and they "can work" high, unlike working drunk. Long term usage makes people stupid too, but that stops a few weeks after they quit.

We need to figure out how to penetrate the teachers unions as they protect serial sex offenders on their payroll.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
RFN 4A LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
That is a KEY point to differentiate your employees compared to your supposed equal competition.

Do you utilize the fact that you process these background checks to make the consumer aware of other potential unsavory subs or employees working at competing companies?

How much does your service charge and how long before you obtain results. Also, if you do not mind giving your company you use a plug, please include a link to them here.

Ed
To be honest the reason I posted this is not to get ammo on anything or anyone.I have never talked bad to a customer about another company.,but then again why would I?

I don't understand the question obviously.And why would I say anything to a potential customer about any crimes let alone sex offenders.Thats weak.I know alot of contractors who talk down about other companies.I refuse to follow the Bullsh** that floats around the contractor back stabbing and belittling.

The reason I posted this is my family is flipping me an unbelievable amount of sh** because I won't employ my brother who is ....yep a sex offender.He lives 200 miles away and I refuse to employ him.I wanted to know if I was being a di** or if I had valid reasons.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 514

I vote valid. Your company, your choice. If he was an employee, he'd be treated as any other employee. No special treatment for being family.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Tough one for the op. For example, was he lied to about someone's age and got charged with statutory? Or was it something more sinister, perverted?

No need to answer, just something maybe to think about.

You could still be hurt if it got out he had been labeled "Sex Offender" regardless of the circumstances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
tedanderson (03-11-2011), Willie T (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
RFN 4A LVN

Honestly when this all came about was 1-1/2 years ago.Precisley when I started the convicted sex offender check.I has not told about this till after charges were filed.I was sick....puking sick,then came rage.I could have killed him.With as many whores and prostitutes,,,why an innocent child?

I can't look at him and I have not spoke with him since hearing this.I am disgusted with the whole situation.It hurts me not that my family chooses to be irrational.I am not doing this sex offender check for me,or to save my reputation as a contractor.I am doing it so basically for the lack of better words,Not on my watch.

I refuse to be a part of anything damaging to a child.If someone did anything to my girls.I will kill without remorse.The sex offenders have to have their lives disrupted or inconvienenced by registering but that baby has to live with that terror for the rest of they're lives.Permanantly scarred and for what?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
a1propertyclean (03-03-2011), Ayerzee (03-05-2011), boman47k (03-03-2011), [email protected] (03-08-2011), thom (03-04-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

We do it on all employee's for the same reason Griz states. And I would add DUI and drug busts to your list of no no's. Construction sites are not offices. They are accidents waiting to happen and if a guy shows up high or dunk either he or someone else is going to get hurt. When is just a matter of time. Our general rule is that if there is a 7-10 year period where there are no follow on charges or if it was something the guy did when he was 18-20 and he's now 25 with a clean record and some time to mature a bit then we take that into consideration.

Except for sex offenders. We do allot of work with schools because of grant money they get for our line of work and we absolutely cannot under any circumstances have any registered sex offenders on site. I personally realize and agree that there are mistakes and degrees of offense but I didn't make the rules but if I want the job I have to play by them. Except for kiddie diddlers. There is zero tolerance in my book for that. That kind of person deserves zero extra chances. They are like a wild animal that develops a taste for human flesh... Nonredeemable and should be put down hard.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Child?

He** no!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,469

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Child?

He** no!
Yeah, That's a deal breaker right there.
NO Exceptions!!!

-Paul

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 70,000 Subscribers and over 11,000,000
My Latest Video: https://youtu.be/E23Y-fw4KCM
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

Trade: Complete termite repair
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
To be honest the reason I posted this is not to get ammo on anything or anyone.I have never talked bad to a customer about another company.,but then again why would I?

I don't understand the question obviously.And why would I say anything to a potential customer about any crimes let alone sex offenders.Thats weak.I know alot of contractors who talk down about other companies.I refuse to follow the Bullsh** that floats around the contractor back stabbing and belittling.

The reason I posted this is my family is flipping me an unbelievable amount of sh** because I won't employ my brother who is ....yep a sex offender.He lives 200 miles away and I refuse to employ him.I wanted to know if I was being a di** or if I had valid reasons.
In my experience hiring family can be bad mojo anyway, you cant fire them if they mess up, you decrease their pay, you cant lay them off, and the rest of your crew gets pissed if they get anything deserved or not. I wouldn't give special treatment to him. If you wouldn't hire him if he was a stranger. NO WAY should you hire him cuz he's family. Its your business, your reputation and your income.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkie For This Useful Post:
a1propertyclean (03-03-2011), concretemasonry (03-08-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 710

A background check can be an invaluable tool. IF YOU GET ALL THE INFORMATION. Often times all you see is booking/arrest info. Convictions is what you really want to know. But unless you read the case file this can be somewhat misleading also. This thread seems to be leaning towards Felonious Sex Offenders. If as potential employers you realized how many individuals running around out there have been convicted of misdemeanors, you'd likely be working alone.

I used to employ a few guys on work furlough. I have found a few guys fresh out of state prison that actually turned out to be decent guys. Sometimes the only difference between you & them is that they got caught.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
brunothedog (11-20-2013), Jaws (11-20-2013), Willie T (03-04-2011)