The Family "Expert" - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

The Family "Expert"

Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,200

The Family "Expert"

You guys ever get this line when you get to an ongoing jobsite in the morning: "Hey, my (friend/brother-in-law/dad/dude I know from work) happened to stop by last night, and he said what you're supposed to do for your project is *insert un-solicited advice from some non-professional weekend handyman type here*.

Hey lady, if you want it done that way, hire your [email protected]' brother in law, not me, ok? I'll pack up my $20,000 in specialized tools, my sixteen years of full time construction experience doing everything from hanging pictures to building additions, and all the planning that I have already done for your job, and I'll move on.

That's it. Rant over. It's just happened to me a couple times in a row lately and I know how to deal with it, but it gets annoying.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (11-21-2019), jproffer (Yesterday)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,021

Re: The Family "Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
You guys ever get this line when you get to an ongoing jobsite in the morning: "Hey, my (friend/brother-in-law/dad/dude I know from work) happened to stop by last night, and he said what you're supposed to do for your project is *insert un-solicited advice from some non-professional weekend handyman type here*.

Hey lady, if you want it done that way, hire your [email protected]' brother in law, not me, ok? I'll pack up my $20,000 in specialized tools, my sixteen years of full time construction experience doing everything from hanging pictures to building additions, and all the planning that I have already done for your job, and I'll move on.

That's it. Rant over. It's just happened to me a couple times in a row lately and I know how to deal with it, but it gets annoying.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I was just one of those guys that caused the trouble, but I was asked for my opinion by my client. She had a new double wide garage door replaced, and she asked me to take a look because something looked "janky" to her.. I figured it would be nothing, but she was right. The installer used a short piece of 1x6 pine as blocking for the center track, and it was tucked in at an angle, not flush, between an iron beam and the header with some drywall screws. It would have cracked and fallen on her nice car in no time. So I wrote something for her to email to the company before she would send final payment. Wish I took a pic of it.

Anyhow, if you know what you're doing, there are lot of ways to not let that get to you. Try to have some fun with it. "Hey, no kidding?...Let's get that guy over here and put him to the test on a few other things! I could use another guy...."

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 694

if they give me that line you mentioned , i just answer whether i feel their right or not , and let it roll off my shoulder .
what are you gonna do?
look at it from a customer point . a person who has no understanding or our trades .
so he has a buddy , or relative comment on our work.
you got to admit theres a lot of hacks out there .
how does this client know your not a hack , and trying to get over on them?
don`t let it bother so much.
especially if you have the answer on why you did your job that specific way.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodspike For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (11-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,260

Ask them what they do for a living, then proceed to tell them how wrong they are doing their job.
Ohio painter (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Ask them what they do for a living, then proceed to tell them how wrong they are doing their job.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 686

No telling how I respond, depending how professional I feel like being.

Sometimes I'll just listen attentively without saying anything. Once they're done I'll just stand there for a moment, day "Hunh" , pause, and go about what ever I'm doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Pro

You can always say "That's another way to do it..but it's a waste of time...old school...internet b.s...hacky....unnecessary....basic...
. ___(fill in the blank)____.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,828

Along similar lines i hear "I was looking on youtube last night" or "i was looking on Pintrest". Some days i let it roll off other days i find it irritating.

I had a customer who was all about a particular product and method be used on a particular project i was doing for her. She really is a great customer and I do a fair bit of work for her. But this day it was all about what she had read online.

I responded "we could do it that way but i am unfamiliar with what you suggest, I will only stand behind my work if I use the primer and paint i feel is best."

She didn't bring it up again.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

I had a customer I worked for a few times she was starting to get on my nerves with every snarky comment any time money came up. This particular project I was replacing tools left and right, help that was useless, just not happy at all.

One morning she tells me she had another contractor look at my job in progress, she starts telling me what the contractor said, I cut her off don't even remember what I said but it included several 4 letter words.

Then she wondered why I refused to speak to her at all. She text me asking why her final bill was so much "Because I don't know what I'm doing, you have 7 days to pay me", She paid and actually contacts me again for work WTF?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,736

Maybe she learned her lesson.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 522

I just say "It's okay to be wrong sometimes, you can let them know that"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-22-2019), KAP (Yesterday), Ohio painter (11-22-2019), TheConstruct (Yesterday)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter

Just had one go the other way. Friend "If your moving the half bath, why not add a shower in case the stairs become too much later on?"

Just sold a curb less shower with lineal drain.

Some of you guys seem a bit edgy, maybe a decaf coffee after the 3rd of the morning?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastjoe For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (11-23-2019), SmallTownGuy (11-22-2019), TheConstruct (Yesterday)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastjoe View Post
Just had one go the other way. Friend "If your moving the half bath, why not add a shower in case the stairs become too much later on?"

Just sold a curb less shower with lineal drain.

Some of you guys seem a bit edgy, maybe a decaf coffee after the 3rd of the morning?

I believe that's very different from what we're talking about here. I had an old lady telling me how to do exterior paint prep.

It's my job, and I have to deal with any call backs.

I just told her it sounded like she wanted to do the prep.

Every situation is different. Sometimes it's a case if explaining more, sometimes it's better to ignore it, and sometimes pushback is in order. It all depends.

How you handle it is all part of how you market.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
Pro

A friend if mine is an askhole. He'll ask 6 people that have no clue how something should be done, then he needs 2 professional opinions agreeing with each other to counter the clueless input.

Then you have the people who are just using a gambit to learn something. They'll say it should be done some other way, and argue until they think they know enough to do it themselves, and present themselves to their friends as an expert on the subject. Go down that path with them once, and they'll keep coming back for more.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #15

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter

[QUOTE=hdavis;7657885]I believe that's very different from what we're talking about here. I had an old lady telling me how to do exterior paint prep.

Not really, had an expert give their opinion and worked out well. Just giving a different perspective of the narrative.
The Following User Says Thank You to eastcoastjoe For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (11-22-2019)
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,710

I occasionally get that, but I'm getting something else, the last few years.

I noticed people started asking me odd questions. I figured out, they were researching on the internet and then quizzing me, to see if I was going to do what the internet said.

Now, I get people wanting design ideas from Pintrest. They are pretty up front about it.
I'm not going to build anything out of a pallet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (Yesterday), TheConstruct (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
I occasionally get that, but I'm getting something else, the last few years.

I noticed people started asking me odd questions. I figured out, they were researching on the internet and then quizzing me, to see if I was going to do what the internet said.

Now, I get people wanting design ideas from Pintrest. They are pretty up front about it.
I'm not going to build anything out of a pallet.
"Did you pour that slab at a 3 slump?"

No Steve, they only do that on bridge pours with huge truss screeds that have to actually hold up 18 wheelers.

Mixing it to a 6 isn't going to affect how well it holds up your BBQ grill.

****ing internet man, everyone knows how to do your job, despite never having done your job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
hdavis (Yesterday), onmywayup (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #18
Pro

I run into internet idea issues all the time. Give someone a detailed how-to installing interior doors the fool proof way, and next thing you know they followed some internet advice and want you to tell them how to fix it.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,134

i was watching Tom Silvia do a deck with what looked like trex .he used seemly nontreated framing lumber ,no joist tape .had solid wood under on horizontal space between boards and when he used miters at the edge he butted them up tight .
Reginal thing?? I do not get away with butts . Why use a 50yr deck product on a much less frame .

Sometimes these TV shows are not good guides .
Old Today, 07:36 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
i was watching Tom Silvia do a deck with what looked like trex .he used seemly nontreated framing lumber ,no joist tape .had solid wood under on horizontal space between boards and when he used miters at the edge he butted them up tight .
Reginal thing?? I do not get away with butts . Why use a 50yr deck product on a much less frame .

Sometimes these TV shows are not good guides .
My wife was watching Fixer Upper one day and I was listening.

She was going over the budget and says something like "The new walkway and driveway is going to be $5000"

Yeah right, 5k in material maybe.

Advertisement