Facebook Pictures - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Facebook Pictures

Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 80

Facebook Pictures

I have recently come across a company in my area via Facebook that posts pictures of their work that they are so proud of, problem being that there are so many issues with the work it makes me twitch. The first picture I seen was shared by one of my good friends showing of work recently done to their in laws house. The picture was, upon first sight, very disturbing to me. This company built a deck on the house and was clearly never inspected. We live in northern Indiana and the posts were only set 2' deep. Our frost line it's 32" second they installed a ledger board on top of the siding third there is no flashing against the house. After seeing those pictures I looked into their pictures on their Facebook and there are many projects similar to this. I found siding being installed over black 6mil plastic gutters installed that have downspouts directed toward the foundation. What would you guys do in this situation. I have owned my business for the last 4 years and have never seen people this proud of their shoddy work. It id's clear that they either do not pull permits or they never call for inspection. I hate seeing work like this proudly displayed. I will be going to inspect the deck this week to fix it for the homeowners but looking at pictures we are going to have to basically start over. What to do? What to do?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Re: Facebook Pictures

You can't do anything... Maybe just make a living following them around and cleaning up after.

My guess is that they won't be around for long anyways.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TaylorMadeAB For This Useful Post:
spazman (06-27-2015), tedanderson (07-01-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMadeCon View Post
You can't do anything... Maybe just make a living following them around and cleaning up after.

This right here. I don't get into competitors business practices. I just always hope that these things work themselves out in the long run. In my area, bad work is an easy way out of business. People talk about your bad work and the work dries up. So, in your situation, just do the repair the right way or no way at all and don't give another thought to the original hack. They probably won't be a problem for long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradingCon For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-27-2015), TaylorMadeAB (06-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,234

Paragraphs, man, paragraphs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-28-2015), Evan1968 (06-27-2015), Jaws (06-29-2015), j_sims (06-29-2015), TNTRenovate (06-29-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,620

32"?? why have I been digging them 52"?.

Oh, don't bother with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-29-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,584

Contractors are like Doctors. Just because a person is one, doesn't make him a good one.....
Old 06-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post
Contractors are like Doctors. Just because a person is one, doesn't make him a good one.....
Yep, somebody has to graduate last in the class---

To the OP--smart people make enough money to hire good craftsmen--and smart people will see the bad work on their face book page.

He's not your competition ---I hope---
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
brickhook (06-27-2015), pinwheel (06-28-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,322

Quote:

Sorry, but there's a bunch of dead Irish kids in Berkley, California, from that attitude. I'm betting bad flashing killed those kids; you don't have to wait for any to die in Indiana before you do the right thing.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,124

That story jumped from seeing it posted by one of your proud friends on FB to you being hired to fix it. Is this just by chance or did you rip at apart? I wouldn't touch it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

I let then know about the deficiencies and they asked me to take a look... I'm not touching it yet just going to let then know what needs done... Basically build it totally over
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 962

My advice is, take the work that comes your way, and stay the heck away from facebook.

www.gebcon.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Frank Castle (07-01-2015), SmallTownGuy (06-29-2015), Tom M (07-01-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTCONSTREMOD View Post
I let then know about the deficiencies and they asked me to take a look... I'm not touching it yet just going to let then know what needs done... Basically build it totally over
There are good reasons to keep your moth shut. The best reason is because you are to busy to fix it any time soon because of your backlog. If that's not true for you here is another reason.

Imagine they here you out but don't fix it. A few years go by. Then ten years. They have had no trouble and love their deck. You look like a crook. It could happen.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSmith View Post
There are good reasons to keep your moth shut. The best reason is because you are to busy to fix it any time soon because of your backlog. If that's not true for you here is another reason.

Imagine they here you out but don't fix it. A few years go by. Then ten years. They have had no trouble and love their deck. You look like a crook. It could happen.
I never thought about it that way... I'm still going to look at it but more than likely week not touch it... Tell them to get another expert opinion as well
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
Sorry, but there's a bunch of dead Irish kids in Berkley, California, from that attitude. I'm betting bad flashing killed those kids; you don't have to wait for any to die in Indiana before you do the right thing.

I get what you're saying, but are we supposed to roam the neighbourhoods looking for shoddy work? If I'm at a job and I see something unsafe you bet I'll mention it to my client, and I'm sure most of us here would do the same. But there is crap everywhere and people don't usually want it to be pointed out.
The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMadeAB For This Useful Post:
tedanderson (07-01-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,910

I do a fair amount of work for ho's who just got burned with a crappy job. Friends or strangers all get treated the same way. I come in do a inspection, write a report that includes codes, manufactures recommendations and photo document every issue. This is most valuable if the ho intends to sue the original contractor.
Its been my experience that in most cases the ho's are ignorant to the building process and not necessarily cheap sob's.
My last comparable project the ho was able to sue the original contractor ( nation floors direct ) and recoup all of their money. I finished looking like a super hero and got many, many referrals.
IMHO the hardest part of these jobs is dealing with the ho. After getting burned they tend to be emotionally fragile.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAH For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,322

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but are we supposed to roam the neighbourhoods looking for shoddy work? If I'm at a job and I see something unsafe you bet I'll mention it to my client, and I'm sure most of us here would do the same. But there is crap everywhere and people don't usually want it to be pointed out.
If I see your kid playing between the berm and the guardrail on the expressway, you're going to have a problem. That would be what I'd call a "non-starter". Each of us has to be comfortable with where we draw the line. When I see crap work that could eventually be deadly, I'm going to say something, regardless of who gets pi$$ed.

Which reminds me:

Years ago, I lived in a racially mixed neighborhood. I watched a very little guy come out his front door, down the sidewalk, and standing on his tip-toes, flip open the fence gate. Nuh-uh.

I left my porch, caught up to him on the sidewalk and he gave me the pick-me-up open arms gesture and that's just what I did. You should have seen his mom's face when she answered the door and there is a white guy holding junior.

Last edited by Kowboy; 06-28-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 19,772

People have the right to be stupid without me interfering. It's not my place to police anyone for that matter. No more than its my place to try and prevent traffic violations even though people will die.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
tedanderson (07-01-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
People have the right to be stupid without me interfering. It's not my place to police anyone for that matter. No more than its my place to try and prevent traffic violations even though people will die.
That's silly. Are you not a citizen of your community?

you have the right to be stupid and endanger yourself...no one else
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-01-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post

Don't care
Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post

I don't give a flying flip if people are stupid And kill themselves. I really don't. Now if they are family or friends I'll help them with advise to stay safe. Or even labor

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (06-29-2015)