Expanding Business - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Expanding Business

Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 10

Expanding Business

I've been in business over 20 years as a painting contractor. I have added other services to my business that I personally due or subcontract out. My employees are used primarily as painters. I install windows, doors, trim, glass block, drywall, etc. I recently finished a couple small remodeling jobs and now acting as a GC on a fire job. Some of the work I'm doing hands on and other I'm subcontracting out. I'm no shoemaker either or some amateur. I've worked all high end work and have been surrounded by quality tradesmen for 20 years now. I also recognize my limitations and when to use more knowledgeable people. My question finally. People see my work and are impressed but when the business card says I'm a painter I feel it hinders my advancement for larger jobs and GC work. Most of my work is painting. I have a partner and employees and 20 years invested in it. Can I do business as a general contractor with a new name on a business cards but still run things through my painting business. Checking account etc.? My business is painting dynamics and I was going to have cards printed as P.D. contracting. I know checks would still need written to painting dynamics. Any suggestions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Re: Expanding Business

You will need to talk to your accountant or business attorney to get a good answer---

Things vary by state--(and you didn't fill out your profile)

I think it would create an awkward feeling writing a check to a painting outfit if I were getting major reconstruction on my home----Just a thought.--Mike---

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
cmagg (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Nepster

Trade: general contracting
Rewards Points: 150

Register a trade name. After you register the name with your county or state you go to the bank to get approval to accept checks for the trade name. I have a parent company with 2 trade names. "Doing business as"...
cmagg (02-19-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks. I feel kind of funny being the GC when my building permit says painting dynamics. I enjoy building and running jobs. 20 years of painting is boring me. We do some large scale high end jobs and it pays the bills. I like finishing custome dens and big projects but there's something about blue jeans and a tool belt that feels more gratifying than whites. I'll read your post again and get moving in that direction.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I understand 20 years and boredom---The spirit needs to be challenged to stay alive.

Talk to your accountant--what you want to do is as common as paint chips---You could have that done in a week.----Have fun---Mike----
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
cmagg (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

Ya I started my business when I was 23. Relying on street smarts, hustle and God. Haha. Not as thin as I was back then but just 44 without the bad habits unfortunately most painters have. An entrepreneur spirit needs to keep burning and new horizons.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmagg View Post
Can I do business as a general contractor with a new name on a business cards but still run things through my painting business.
In the past I would have said no problem in PA, since there's no licensing for GCs. But your contracts would need to be written with the painting business name in order to be legal--unless you register the second name as a business and pony up your $50 HIC registration for that name.

Are your customers going to be comfortable doing business with someone flying two names in that manner?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

In Michigan you can get as many dba's as you want. I have two, one for commercial and one for residential. I started my commercial company first and then when I finally got my residential builders license I started another company. In my case there two seperate entitys but I'm sure you could set up multiple names for one like multiple domain names for the same site. I think there is allot to a company name. You want something with name recognition, something that will resonate. Dynamic is cool I like it, Dynamic Construction.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #9

Something else to look into. The PA license #. Kind of a joke but needs taken care of. If it were easy everyone would have their own business. I have a partner, 20 years now, so the painting business will run as usually. Actually a GC/builder I paint for just recommended me to a guy to do all the renovation work. We been working together for 10 years now and he see how I run a crew and he even will ask my input on design issues and scheduling maters.

Advertisement