Equipment Transport - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Equipment Transport

Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Builder
Rewards Points: 12

Equipment Transport

Does anyone have recommendations for an equipment transport company? I'm looking into purchasing a 2000# pull behind brush chipper from seller in NW Michigan and need to get it to me in Western North Carolina. (about 850 miles).

Last edited by Shelter's Edge; 08-30-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added info

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,854

Re: Equipment Transport

Maybe check out RV haulers. They would probably do it.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,034

you don't necessarily need an equipment hauler.

to me that implies a lowboy.

all you need is a forklift, trucker with a flatbed & some room.

contact a couple of trucking companies and tell them what you need.
Calidecks (09-01-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,697

Send a trusted person up with a 3/4 ton Pick up or better a flat bed?

With a pair of new tires.... if towed.

About 2.00 a mile LTL? ~1700 dollars 12 mpg + wages or 55 Cents for a pick up and 33 cents for driver = 88 cents a mile X 2 = $ 1.76 x 85 and a motel? 120.00$

Call dispatchers at BOTH ends if you go Pro.

You might get a deal if you can wait till another part load comes the same way....
fjn (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 146

2,000# chipper could probably go LTL Freight.

Just call your local freight company.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
mrcat (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 674

That could go on a mixed load. I had my skidsteer shipped from Tennessee, it came in a van trailer with a bunch of other stuff.

I didn't arrange the shipping for it, but I know there are load boards that you can post what you need hauled, and the appropriate shipper can contact you about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

Wow! Many great thoughts right off the bat. Thank you all.

Everything is down until Tuesday now for calling for estimates, but the seller swagged a $600 delivery estimate - which would seem to be better than me going to get it which is what I was initially thinking. Last winter I had an inoperable F450 shipped to NC from AZ and shippng cost more than the truck did. I'm thinking my point person didn't even try to find a better deal, and now, trying to learn from that one, I'm looking to see if there are known places to look for those deals than just the "shipping calculator" websites. It definately could be a partial load, could be towed, and does not need a lowboy...
Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,697

Stick the seller with the promised 600.00$ freight.... just make sure its in the next 30 days or less....

love to hear back on actual costs and terms.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,722

https://www.uship.com/LandingPages/c...utm_term=uship
Old 08-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,930

2000#? You can tow that behind a yugo. All you guys using a kenworth tractor to tow your tool trailers? Sheeesh. But for my time and wear on my truck I’m paying the $600 to have it delivered.

Where is (city) the chipper?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
2000#? You can tow that behind a yugo. All you guys using a kenworth tractor to tow your tool trailers? Sheeesh. But for my time and wear on my truck Iím paying the $600 to have it delivered.

Where is (city) the chipper?

Here's my Powerball rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Equipment transport-screen-shot-2019-08-31-09.20.50.png  

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,550

not a kenworth, but this is my towing rig

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donohue Const For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-01-2019), Randy Bush (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post

Here's my Powerball rig.
Hereís mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Equipment transport-6a5e1b8c-dce9-4a55-9b44-bd2ad56acaac.jpeg   Equipment transport-a9832f3a-18e0-42a6-8396-e44439cf47b1.jpeg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (08-31-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-31-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #14

Update:

So I've checked out everything about shipping that I can check out that I know of at the moment.

Replying to comment about Yugo could tow it - maybe not quite a yugo, but my 1/2 toyota can do it if I need to , and yes I agree that its not worth the stress and trouble if I get a shipping quote for 600. (I'd spend $300 on fuel and at least $100 on food and camping, and blow at least 3 days...)

The deal is still not sealed, but eminent - so its not about "sticking the seller" with anything. I want the lowest overall price possible including shipping (dealing w/ a "professional sales person" who is using all the cheap salesperson tools - demonstrating that they are willing to walk away from the sale & playing good guy/bad guy as in everything has to get approved by his manager.) But, trying to work on the best possible shipping price from both ends and not stick anybody with anything. (particularly since I'd inevitably be the one getting the stick)

Details to factor in: If I have this machine shipped, I'm buying it "as is" without checking it out in person - risky! And the seller shot basic pictures and video but unwilling to invest time to take pics and videos that I've requested to verify condition of all working components of machine - working as they should & level of wear for a machine with the claimed hours. So, there are some benefit besides cost of shipping for me to make the trip myself and check out the machine before sealing the deal. I've done my best attempt at homework from long distance, and the machine looks favorable, but still some risk. Considering trying to hire someone local to the machine to go get me information...

So back to finding a freight quote:
1) I checked w/ Estes, a local freight carrier/ trucking company (Std enclosed 18 wheeler) who has a convenient hub near me that I've picked up freight from before, but wasn't involved in choosing the shipping. Their initial cold call on the phone quote was $4,500! I said you've got to be kidding, how do I get a better quote than that. Answer: Contact "inside sales". I contacted inside sales, and got a quote for about $2,000. These quotes are based on some sort of "freight class" (not sure if that is the exact term), and the freight class of this shipment was not ideal to say the least. This inside sales person then looked at a different route he called "volume shipment" (look for an otherwise empty space in a truck headed this way). That quote was $784. Now we're in the ballpark. Further investigation however revealed that their insurance covered 10 cents per pound and my machine weighs 2,000 #, so if they got in wreck or machine mysteriously disappeared in shipment, the I would be compensated w/ $200. I could increase the insurance through my own business insurance policy which I don't have one... (As a military brat, my family moved a lot and we had many experiences w/ large moving companies. Inevitably the drivers would offer to sell us things out of the truck that were not ours, and inevitably some of our stuff would always disappear - wonder why??? The experience did not leave me with the greatest impression of shipper integrity.) Fully insured shipment is a must for me.

2)uShip - this site is a little scary. Profiles of the bidders show how long they've been w/ uShip, whether they "say they have" insurance, and reviews from previous customers. I got better bids from 2 providers - both of which showed they were only with uShip for about a month and only had one shipment / 1 review under their belt. (One claimed he had insurance, and one did not appear to have it.) What this says to me is that they likely had received a poor review and cancelled their previous uShip membership and started over. The one without insurance even wanted 1/2 of the shipping quote up front. What's to say these guys were not going to take that machine to Kentucky and sell it in the black market (That would certainly get them a bad review worth cancelling their membership over...), and I'd be left hanging dry... One of those guys dropped his bid to 500 at the end of the bid period and said he just got a load nearby and could therfore do it for less. Could have even been true. (Urgency tool of the bidding process.) He was the one without insurance and wanted 50% up front... Nice price, I'd rather make the 1700mile drive and get the machine myself than risk never seeing the machine.

I did get some bids from a few providers in uShip from providers whose history was a few years, good reviews, insurance, but the bids were not good enough that I would choose it over going to get it myself.

3) FR8Star is another bid (sort of) site that just appears to have more integrity designed into their system. The carriers are pre screened as insured and reputable, and the bidding is primariy done by "brokers" who watch over several providers and know who has empty space going in that direction and when. Their bids were reasonable and insured, and reviews and number of loads of carriers were shown. The best bid I've received so far was $1000 (which is a good bid for this shipment, but I found something better which I'll get to.) I called back to FR8Star and had my bid request pulled and re-entered with this statement for brokers to review: "Willing to wait a few weeks for shipment for shipper to balance their load and trip and get the best quote possible". We'll see if this gets something better.

4) My local equipment yard has some experience w/ shippers and I have a relationship w/ the local equipment yard, and they have a connection w/ a trucker w/ a low boy that they have used and will use again. It's only been 2 days, but a promising candidate has my load info and is looking into the possibility of getting a good quote by optimizing his load and route somewhere in the next 2 weeks.

5) The seller is a high volume seller, and they have experience with shippers. By being willing to wait a couple of weeks for load /route optimization, they have a fully insured quote for $700 pending ("pulling in a favor" sort of thing with a carrier they have used and trust, and his brokers are in a lul at the moment". Its not confirmed quite yet, but it sounds like its going to be, and I can wait 2 weeks. Note: The deal is not sealed yet, so they are more willing to make a call or two. If the deal were sealed (I've had this experience), they'll make one call through the standard bid route, and not be willing to do anything more than what is easy - "That's just what it costs"...
Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,854

How much are they selling this for?

If you are worried on condition, then I would just hop in my truck and take the drive.
Leave Fri. come back Sun.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,034

how about hiring a local equipment mechanic to go look the machine over?

I've done it a couple of time buying equip out of state, or in state.
mrcat (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #17

When I talk to the salesperson who has the machine, he seems a little "too" interested in my buying "as is" and having it shipped - when he and I speak, I'm weighing in on options of me checking out the machine for final approval before handing over the cash (If I come up there...) I also have contact with the previous owner of the machine (via info from the manufacturer) who is a home builder like I am, and no longer has any stake in the machine so nothing to gain by pulling anything over on me. He says the machine worked perfectly for him when he had it - mechanically sound, visually old - has ample rust, which I'm okay with. He was the last to use it before he traded it in to this dealer for a skid steer, simply because he wasn't using it much. I'm looking into equipment yards near the machine to see about having a mechanic look it over, and when I talk to the previous owner I feel like hiring a mechanic or making the trip would be a waste of time and money.

So at the moment, I'm back to thinking just get it shipped if I get a good price w/ insurance, history, and decent reviews. I've now received a 700 bid on uShip from someone with multiyear history and good reviews, but does not appear to have insurance, and I don't think I want to ship without insurance coverage in case "they lose it". Still hopeful of a couple of "low boy" partial load quotes that are pending at the moment - not confirmed yet, but they have insurance, and references...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelter's Edge View Post
When I talk to the salesperson who has the machine, he seems a little "too" interested in my buying "as is" and having it shipped - when he and I speak, I'm weighing in on options of me checking out the machine for final approval before handing over the cash (If I come up there...) I also have contact with the previous owner of the machine (via info from the manufacturer) who is a home builder like I am, and no longer has any stake in the machine so nothing to gain by pulling anything over on me. He says the machine worked perfectly for him when he had it - mechanically sound, visually old - has ample rust, which I'm okay with. He was the last to use it before he traded it in to this dealer for a skid steer, simply because he wasn't using it much. I'm looking into equipment yards near the machine to see about having a mechanic look it over, and when I talk to the previous owner I feel like hiring a mechanic or making the trip would be a waste of time and money.

So at the moment, I'm back to thinking just get it shipped if I get a good price w/ insurance, history, and decent reviews. I've now received a 700 bid on uShip from someone with multiyear history and good reviews, but does not appear to have insurance, and I don't think I want to ship without insurance coverage in case "they lose it". Still hopeful of a couple of "low boy" partial load quotes that are pending at the moment - not confirmed yet, but they have insurance, and references...
Where is it?

Advertisement

Tags
equipment , equipment hauler , equipment transport , hauler , transport