End Of Year Employee Review - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

End Of Year Employee Review

Old 12-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Trade: framer
Rewards Points: 108

End Of Year Employee Review

Any of you guys do some kind of year end review with your employees? I want to do something like this for my guys. I'm not sure how to go about this, what type of questions to ask etc.

I think it will be good for them and me to get and give some feedback on how we are performing at work. I feel like I would have appreciated that when I was an employee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Rhoades For This Useful Post:
Fixed (12-09-2018), Tinstaafl (12-09-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 70

Re: End Of Year Employee Review

We do reviews (peers and managers) on people's hire dates. That spreads it around the year, so you don't have this wall of unpleasant work to deal with all at once. We also have the employee fill out the same review that everyone else does. We happen to have a numeric scale and room for comments. (Comments are supposedly anonymous, but one kinda knows where comments come from, and it's not perfect. I'm not sure how that can get fixed, frankly.)

The reviews tie back to the job description. (You have those, right?**) Ie, if job description says, "you will act professional" and have a few key indicators (dressed right, behave around customers, etc), then all you have to do is decide if they fall short/ meet expectations/ exceed expectations. If they fall short, suggest for improvement. If they exceed, pat them on the back. If they meet expectations, pat them on the back as well, and maybe encourage them to try to exceed. (But be clear that 'meeting expectations' is good; we seem to have devolved into a culture where less than 5 stars is a fail.)

**If you don't have a job description that says things like 'you'll act professional', you can hardly blame a guy for interpreting norms however he wants.

Advertisement

Last edited by Defenestrate; 12-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,808

When I was working for a bank we did yearly reviews.

It was a form that asked what you thought you did well what you thought you could improve on what major projects you completed things like that.

The employee would fill it out then a manager would add their comments then you would sit down and discuss.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 345

Excellent idea, Justin. About the only reviews I got in my employee days were an occasional pay raise, and it drove me nuts not having some sort of feedback outside of that.

I could even see doing it bi-annually. As you say, it can provide valuable feedback on both ends of the paycheck.