Employee Problems/work Ethics - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Employee Problems/work Ethics

Old 01-23-2010, 02:06 AM  

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Employee Problems/work Ethics

I don't know about youguys,but in the Cleveland Ohio area we cant get decent help to save our asses.We pay a DECENT wage,offer a ton of perks and we keep our guys working well.Then these younger guys want to call off once a week,and seem to expect the same thing on day one that we have now after busting our asses for the last 30 years.We need workers to run our bussines. The b-s we put up with is enough to make a man sick in contrast to how we were raised in our time.What the h--- is it going to be in another 10 years?

Last edited by rossi inc.; 01-23-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 AM  
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Employee Problems/work Ethics

Calling iin once a week may be indicative of a substance abuse problem.

Good help is out there. The trick is finding it. Do you advertise when you need an employee? Maybe you could try networking? Do you belong to a church or any business organizations? Maybe you could call a nearby school and ask to talk to the Building Trades Instructor. Tell him what you want and see if he has a student that would be a match.

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 AM  
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 13,028

Maybe it's time to quit busting your ass and get a job working for someone else.

If your slacker employees are running your business, you ain't doing it right.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 AM  
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

It worked for a friend 30+ years ago, you might try it.

Everyone on the crew knows the deal. Every Friday is someone's last day, every monday there will be a new guy on the job. The question each man must ask himself is, is it worth being the guy who gets terminated this week.

After a couple months, you should have a decent crew again.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 AM  

Rewards Points: 150

(sigh)

its like i dont exist.

Incentevise Motivation. have performance reviews regularly, and praise good work often.

Lots of communication and be available to them, employees need to let their boss know where their head is.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 AM  
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Everyone on the crew knows the deal. Every Friday is someone's last day, every monday there will be a new guy on the job. The question each man must ask himself is, is it worth being the guy who gets terminated this week.

Who wants to work for an employer that fires someone every week?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 AM  
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleoh7 View Post
Who wants to work for an employer that fires someone every week?
Who wants to employ people who aren't hard working and dependable?
The Following User Says Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (01-23-2010)
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM  

If you want to motivate people you have to make them want to do something for themselves and their own reasons. The younger generation expects everything to be handed to them for the appearance of making an effort, because this is what Mr. Rogers taught them (not to blame him personally, it wasn't just him, but it's the idea that "you're special, just the way you are" that started with him and went everywhere in society, especially schools and other educational institutions).

If you want somebody to become a good worker, praise the hell out of 'em when they do something good, point out the good work they did to your client and let the client praise it too. If the person is satisfied with a good job that they've done, this will motivate them to do it again next time, and if they're not satisfied, they'll be embarassed by this and never make the same mistake<s> again.

Don't flatter. If you're going to praise, praise them for what they've honestly done well.

Don't scold. If they do something wrong, take them aside, show them how to do it properly, let them figure it out, or let them watch you do it a few times so they get the idea.

Last but not least, if it's an attitude problem and not a question of ability, don't put up with any of their $#|7. I've heard it said that some managers only regrets about firing anybody is that they didn't do it sooner. Above and beyond any problems they cause (which others have to fix), it's bad for the morale of the group to leave them there and keep paying them. Everybody starts to think "hell, if he gets that pay for that kind of work, I should get the same pay for the same effort".
The Following User Says Thank You to Choscura For This Useful Post:
donky (01-23-2010)
Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 AM  

Trade: solar contractor

I am very straight forward with my guys,
you want to be here or not?
I'll call you when i need you again.
I don't mess around with their pay,
I have no problems,
aloha, Ivan
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 AM  
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to interview them before hiring. The last time we hired a carpenter, I interviewed 13 guys before I found what I was looking for.

Attitude is everything. I can teach technique, but I cannot teach attitude. And believe me, you won't change a persons attitude. Waste of time trying.

There are good people out there, you just need to search them out, and be more selective about who you hire.

On the job, you either step up, or be gone.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 AM  
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Embarrassingly, I have to admit that I did things similar when I was younger. But as I said, I was younger then... I'm not so all-knowing anymore.

Basically, I was a punk with power. I've grown into a man who can manage. With experience comes the awareness that there are responsibilities on both sides.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM  

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Right now I have me, my father, a friend of mine that I grew up with in the trades and my brother. The youngest one of us is 38. Every time ive hired a younger guy in the past (18 to 25 years old), ive had nothing but problems. Even the ones that were sent to me by family or friends ended up thinking that I was pushing them to hard, one called me and said he had the ****s and he would be spending too much time in the bathroom so he was stayin home, one had his girlfriend call me and say he was sick and the list goes on. Im in the Chicago area and have a hard time finding good young laborers. I can always find good carpenters, but I think the young guys today must be stickin with retail.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 PM  

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 29

Hire some mexicans,they never call out..And work their asses off..
The Following User Says Thank You to njcarpenter For This Useful Post:
Ben of Hyde (01-23-2010)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM  
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,766

Are you drug testing? If not you need to start.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: