Economic Recovery Where? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Economic Recovery Where?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Trade: Excavating
Rewards Points: 10

Economic Recovery Where?

Just curious, if things are turning around, did somebody forget to clue northern Nevada in on the recovery. 2012 is so far the worst start for us in 3 years. Confused about what the media is reporting. Possibly a Democratic political maneuver.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmcqueary For This Useful Post:
d-rock (03-15-2012), HARRY304E (03-17-2012), I Mester (03-15-2012), jamestrd (03-12-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 450

Re: Economic Recovery Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcqueary View Post
Just curious, if things are turning around, did somebody forget to clue northern Nevada in on the recovery. 2012 is so far the worst start for us in 3 years. Confused about what the media is reporting. Possibly a Democratic political maneuver.
Ya think?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Lenny Ambrosino

Trade: General Building, Maintenance & Repair
Rewards Points: 75

Sorry to hear things are slow for you there. We are in Las Vegas and this year is starting out great, we are swamped right now things look great for the rest of the year.
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterBuilt For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (03-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Trade: Excavating

maybe I will have to load up my backhoes and head south.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

seems to be a slow period around here right now as well..
January leading into February was great...
then the bottom fell out..
hearing it across the board..suppliers,other contractors..etc.

was talking to a diesel mechanicneighbor of mine who oddly said the same ...usually mechanics and plumbers stay busy..

something wierd in the air i guess..
www.flortechardwood.net
The Following User Says Thank You to jamestrd For This Useful Post:
d-rock (03-15-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Trade: General Contractor's Wife
Rewards Points: 25

Work is picking up in Utah
The Following User Says Thank You to AContractorWife For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

*your results may vary*
this is kinda like saying global warming is a hoax because it snowed one time in october. these national and global numbers are much bigger than our backyards. ultimately all that matters to you is what's happening in your neighborhood, so vote accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
Gary H (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,986

It's tax time... people are tired of not spending money... the true test will be May forward...

I wouldn't put any weight into what I have to say on this topic... I honestly though that spring 2010 would be the turning point based on the savings rate shooting up during 2009 and pent-up demand and the supposed "end of the recession" in June 2009. But it's back down again, and people are using their credit cards/lines. From what I've been reading, it's for necessities (i.e. - food, electric, etc.) and not as much for the things that help an economy. Inflation is much higher than they are reporting, and from what I understand, if the government used the same method to determine unemployment in 2009 today, unemployment is more like 11%.

It's Orwellian at best... 2+2=5

That said, I don't care who is in office, I hope things turn around for everyone... because IMHO, they are all one feather of the same bird... very few of them are interested in fighting for what this country was founded on - Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness and limited government...

When people who are positions of power who have no experience in business are micro-managing businesses, it can spell nothing but trouble for business and the economy... I read that only 8% of Obama's cabinet has any business experience. This is in stark contrast to all previous administrations, Rep or Dem, who averaged in the mid-40's to mid 50's...

IMHO, all regulation should be required to have the authors noted as part of the record.

Last edited by KAP; 03-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
catfish (03-15-2012), J F (03-20-2012), TNTRenovate (03-19-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Michigan is picking up. But you will not make much doing it. Reroofing is down to $20 a square for labor. Concrete went up to $130 a yard and contractors are still doing the work for 1998 prices, when crete was $60 a yard. So there is work and alot of it, but you will work for wages, even though you are busy.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Thanks to our Governor, WI is back on track!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (03-17-2012), MSLiechty (03-23-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

There are some hot spots.

The Williston Basin area in ND is undergoing an oil boom in major construction and long term development.

Facilities are being built to provide long term jobs for new employees in the operation.

The problem that there is not place to live. A minimal one bedroom apart was $500/mo a year ago and it is now $2000/month (site unseen) if you could even find one. Many workers are forced to live in campers and trailers and pay through the nose for rent, utilities and hook-ups.

Land has become costly because of the need for long term housing, so there should be some residential construction.

I lived in a similar situation for 2 years that was the first phase of a long term plant construction. We could not find any place to live for one month, but fortunately my employeer paid for housing (month in a hotel) and we found an efficiency apartment surrounded by retired teachers for another month. Finally see went to the newspaper office and got a paper off the press and drove to a duplex with a 2 BR unit and a garage (-40F in the winter and -52F one day) and rented it without looking since there were other people coming up the sidewalk. When you move from Los Angeles to northern MN, you do what you have to.

That is an example of what can happen when you get 2,500 new people in a town of 20,000 plus all the others is related businesses. Somce people moved in or rented trailers and they paid over $100/month for water when it had enough pressure to use it. You always pay a lot more than you can imagine you would, but it is an adventure.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 492

a lot of the "recovery" is government and media propaganda. and they try to base the recovery on what the manipulated stock market does. kinda funny when the big banks are getting loaned billions at essentially zero %.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: lawn maintenance
Rewards Points: 250

No it's coming back... Housing's starting to bump back up, Rates are still unbelievable.. Peoples refi savings are starting to kick in. the stock market IS back.. People are traveling more IE destinations that's up.. The weather can also have major impacts and the weather's all in all been awsome..Spring fever is coming very early here in the northeast.. Has the potential to be a nice long season for myself, could be a record breaker.. Gas is my only worry... 4.00/+ a gallon will kill a lot of markets momentum, including some of our own..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 348

Best start to a year since 2004 for me. Although i had to move 900 miles to make it happen.

Any state that is an oil producer will do good as long as oil is high. Just remember that can bust also. I got caught in that one in the early 80's.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 102

I feel fortunate to live where I live. We've not felt the downturn that so many have. We're in rural ag country & our local economy has stayed pretty strong throughout. We've had the busiest winter we've has since going on our own in 2000 & have work booked through May right now, with the phone still ringing.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

it's a snail here right now..

All I am hearing form foloow ups is,we are looking to do it in June..or Late paril..May..etc..

or "we are budgeting"

"the project has been out on hold"

'we had something come up more pressing"

" I need to organize a few things, and will be in contact when ready"

"proposal looks good, let me talk it over with my husband...we are going away..thinking middle summer..

or of course...the winner.."we got someone cheaper"

and when i say cheaper..some of the pricing I have heard is just ridiculous.

its driving me crazy..
www.flortechardwood.net
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing/Hydronic and Steam Heating Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestrd
it's a snail here right now..

All I am hearing form foloow ups is,we are looking to do it in June..or Late paril..May..etc..

or "we are budgeting"

"the project has been out on hold"

'we had something come up more pressing"

" I need to organize a few things, and will be in contact when ready"

"proposal looks good, let me talk it over with my husband...we are going away..thinking middle summer..

or of course...the winner.."we got someone cheaper"

and when i say cheaper..some of the pricing I have heard is just ridiculous.

its driving me crazy..
Its a roller coaster here in central Connecticut.

I worked 32 hours between Monday and Tuesday.

Now I'm flat....a couple of service calls here and there.

The lack of a heating season here is really taking its toll and I'm getting underbid on almost every plumbing project.

No fun, that's for sure
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

I judge the economic signs of recovery based upon how the shopping malls look, restaurant parking lots, etc. Here by me these places are packed on the weekends. Now granted people might be buying on credit but there is cash out there. Also in my travels, I see several home developers building houses in areas that had been stalled for the last three years. So they are pumping money into the economy down here as well.

I've been really slow with the warm winter here in FL that we have had. I know people in HVAC and they are hurting as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,248

Died out here too. After 6 months of regular calls and business, it stalled the last 2 months. I have been catching up and have little ahead. Even getting cold calls from suppliers.

April price increases will sting as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
a lot of the "recovery" is government and media propaganda. and they try to base the recovery on what the manipulated stock market does. kinda funny when the big banks are getting loaned billions at essentially zero %.
... and loaning it back at a profit... and we wonder how banks can essentially be "bankrupt" but still afford to pay out bonuses...

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (03-15-2012), SC sawdaddy (03-20-2012)