Dumpster - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Dumpster

Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 6

Dumpster

Dear industry experts,

I had a contractor do some work for my house in Westchester, NY. He's done with the job now and has not been coming back for more than two weeks but the dumpster he was using is still sitting on my driveway. I asked him to remove it multiple times but he is not responding.

So I called the dumpster company at the number on the dumpster. They say they cannot remove it unless I pay them out of pocket, or they'll put a lien on my house for taking it away without payment. Obviously, I never asked the contractor or the dumpster company to put it on my property. The contractor probably got into a rental agreement with them.

Based on the contractor's behavior so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes no action for months. Now one of my choice is paying the dumpster company out of pocket for removing it from my property. In this case, aside from the immediate monetary cost, can there be any problem later on because, after all, the contractor is the one who is renting it and have some legal binding/ownership to it? I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on my options. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,686

Re: Dumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iposter View Post
Dear industry experts,

I had a contractor do some work for my house in Westchester, NY. He's done with the job now and has not been coming back for more than two weeks but the dumpster he was using is still sitting on my driveway. I asked him to remove it multiple times but he is not responding.

So I called the dumpster company at the number on the dumpster. They say they cannot remove it unless I pay them out of pocket, or they'll put a lien on my house for taking it away without payment. Obviously, I never asked the contractor or the dumpster company to put it on my property. The contractor probably got into a rental agreement with them.

Based on the contractor's behavior so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes no action for months. Now one of my choice is paying the dumpster company out of pocket for removing it from my property. In this case, aside from the immediate monetary cost, can there be any problem later on because, after all, the contractor is the one who is renting it and have some legal binding/ownership to it? I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on my options. Thanks.
This is actually rocket surgery on how to take care of that problem... Contact Space-X... They can undoubtedly fix it.

Or call any official in NY and file a report someone is actually trying trying make money... Done and done.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,078

I'd decorate it so it's less unsightly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dayexco (02-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 566

When I have a dumpster dropped off I have to prepay. as a contractor your self what is your normal way of ordering and paying for dumpster service ?.

You could put a for sale sign on it, start charging the company storage of a container

Last edited by sunkist; 02-26-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,050

Home owner...
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,333

Why don't you tell us a bit about what you do in the electrical trade? This site is for contractors, but honestly you sound like a homeowner--thus, we have no incentive to help you out as a professional courtesy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by iposter View Post
Dear industry experts,

How much money do you still owe the contractor?
A&E Exteriors (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 6

I work in electric hardware but not "electrician". I was hoping for some advice but had no intention to pretend to be a contractor. He hasn't even submitted his full invoice but it'll be around 10 grand.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,778

Pay the dumpster company and take it out of his final invoice.

Sheesh.

Andy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
griz (02-26-2019), iposter (02-26-2019), tgeb (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 898

^^^^
Problem solved.

www.gebcon.com
Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Pay the dumpster company and take it out of his final invoice.

Sheesh.

Andy.
young local rocket scientist solves problem.....
A&E Exteriors (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #12
Capra aegagrus

Rewards Points: 1,333

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement