Dryvit? Stucco? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Dryvit? Stucco?

Old 08-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,130

Dryvit? Stucco?

I've seen this stuff on maybe three or four houses in my sixteen years in this business. Got a quote to write for doing a lot of exterior rotten wood replacement (which we do at least once a week), and also found rot/damage to this stucco-looking crap on this house.

Is this stucco? Can you even tell from pictures?

If it's simple enough to mix up a batch, trowel it in, and scrape a similar texture into it, I'm on it. But if this stuff requires a more specific skill set, I'll find someone around these parts that I can sub the repair work to.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 74

Re: Dryvit? Stucco?

Looks like the stuff(forgot what it's called) that comes on 4 x 8 sheets. Repaired a bunch of it. Matching the pattern is the worst part.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 410

You need to move very fast with it. You work in sections to a break or a joint and can't stop until it's complete, it will flash dry in the sun or wind.

You do a brown coat first with a product that I'm pretty sure is just thinset and fiber mesh, then once that is cured you can apply the finish coat. You use a hawk and trowel like regular stucco, but it's more like trying to trowel paint, there is a learning curve.

Once it's on you have to use a plastic knockdown float to get your desired finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 587

That is Masonite stucco sheets. It is no longer available. LP Sartside is pretty darn close to the old Masonite pattern. Most people can't tell the difference.
As far as patching, I do it with Wood hardener prep, & Bondo for fill/pattern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-10-2019), onmywayup (08-10-2019)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,290

I dislike stuff like that on a house , it is never flashed correctly and down the road end up with rot behind the trim boards.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Rio (Yesterday), rustyjames (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
I dislike stuff like that on a house , it is never flashed correctly and down the road end up with rot behind the trim boards.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
Same with EIFS on wood frame structures. There's been a lot of problems with flashing details cause rot. In some instances it's difficult to get insurance, for a homeowner, or contractor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (Yesterday), Rio (Yesterday), rrk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Same with EIFS on wood frame structures. There's been a lot of problems with flashing details cause rot. In some instances it's difficult to get insurance, for a homeowner, or contractor.
A lot of years ago my insurance was going to go through the roof because of EIFS problems. But because I don't install it was able to find insurance a good rate. A lot of EIFS is done around here , and I see problems al the time where it is not flashed correctly.
Old Today, 04:51 AM   #8
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,130

I appreciate the tips and info. The repair spots are all relatively small.... Five or six inches across, etc. The woodpeckers went absolutely nuts for his wood trim, so there is much more of that to replace.

I think given the height the repairs are off the ground, we should be able to fake the pattern good enough to pass visually. He's not going to go for replacing all of the siding on the house (as he said it, "I won't be around to see it rot again"), so hardener and bondo will do here.

Advertisement