Discovered Some Mold - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Discovered Some Mold

Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 243

Discovered Some Mold

I have a property that I purchased to fix up and rent. Over the winter when things were slow I worked there a-lot. I did not see any moisture in the basement from September to May, when everything was exposed. The board and plaster were completed and I have not been there much cause of other work.

I am noticing a little moisture at the bottom of front basement wall, of a walk out basement. There is also small amount of mold. I am thinking the problem must be from all the humidity we are having and the fact there is no air moving in house.

I am running a dehumidifier and fans trying to get the moisture to go away. I a going to talk to HVAC company about finishing install so I can get the AC going. Once it is dry I was going to clean the areas on the face of plaster to remove that mold. What are my options for mold I can see on the back side of blue board? Can I cut a few small sections of blue board out and fog the dead space between wall and foundation? Any suggestions to save me from having to remove all the sheetrock?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,952

Re: Discovered Some Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontgom View Post
I have a property that I purchased to fix up and rent. Over the winter when things were slow I worked there a-lot. I did not see any moisture in the basement from September to May, when everything was exposed. The board and plaster were completed and I have not been there much cause of other work.

I am noticing a little moisture at the bottom of front basement wall, of a walk out basement. There is also small amount of mold. I am thinking the problem must be from all the humidity we are having and the fact there is no air moving in house.

I am running a dehumidifier and fans trying to get the moisture to go away. I a going to talk to HVAC company about finishing install so I can get the AC going. Once it is dry I was going to clean the areas on the face of plaster to remove that mold. What are my options for mold I can see on the back side of blue board? Can I cut a few small sections of blue board out and fog the dead space between wall and foundation? Any suggestions to save me from having to remove all the sheetrock?
Thanks

Drywall or blue board and plaster are paper encapsulated gypsum. They do not behave very good in damp environments A better choice down there would be the yellow board,it has a fiberglass coating that does not promote mold growth.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontgom View Post

Thanks

If it were humidity wouldn't it be other places besides the bottom of the wall?

Mike.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 243

I just notice dampness on floor right along front wall. Minimal mold scattered everywhere on basement walls. Nothing on first floor.

We had a very wet fall last year and I did not see any moisture leaking in through foundation or floor. The basement has all new framing, closed cell spray foam around entire perimeter, blue board and plaster. I dont know if I should of had AC on or dehumidifier on once humidity went up. I hope this isnít one of those expensive lessons.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmontgom For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,088

The first thing to know about basements us they stay cooler than outside for quite some time. High humidity outside, and it will be condensing conditions in the basement.

You can fog it. If there is a smell, it won't go away. You can also seal the walls with Shieldz. I automatically do both.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,088

Run a dehumidifier next time.

Advertisement