Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program

Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Trade: dump truck & hauling; excavating
Rewards Points: 22

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program

Hello everyone hope you are having a great day. I am new to owning a dump truck. I live in the Texas area. One question this DBE program I seen people say have a woman be the owner of it to keep it running better. Should she be the only Owner name on it or can it be her name and her husband name? Would having both names on it affect the outcome as far as getting work thru this program?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program

Don't trust your wife?

Sorry I can't add to this or answer your question, I do have a problem (not saying you are doing it) with people scamming the system by having a minority as the face to solely benefit, thats a 'Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program' there alone.

Advertisement

tgeb (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

I am new and trying to get some advice on this program anyone willing to give me some advice Please respond. I am trying to research to look into other ways to keep my truck moving. What does a picture have to do with anything? I just signed up to this forum today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

What picture are you referring to?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

I am confused to your reply what are you referring to? I am just looking for some pointer's and advice from anyone who is familiar with this program that is all. Thanks to all to take the time to reply.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

Trade: Metals
Rewards Points: 114

I believe your wife will need to be at least a 50%+ owner but you can be as well. Then depending on the agency there is a lot of paperwork that you will need to fill out and then they will come interview you to get proof that you are a legitimate company and that she is a legitimate owner.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 926

I'll follow up on chris' line of questioning a bit...

Are you what would be considered a minority owned or otherwise disadvantaged business owner?

The DBE/WBE programs were setup to "Level the playing field" for those who may have at one time been discriminated against.
In this day and age I believe there is not a lot of discrimination based upon a persons sex or race, and these programs should be eliminated as they create an unfair advantage for those that loophole their way into Gov. contracts.

My preference is to run on reputation and ability to do what is needed for the price quoted.

These preferential treatment schemes do nothing but divide society into different classes based on race and gender, and pit us against one another......

www.gebcon.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Chris Johnson (07-10-2014), pinwheel (07-11-2014), rselectric1 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 384

DBE's aren't nothing more than the minority (women, non-white) business not having to compete with the average everyday company. In VA we has something called SWAM. "The Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned Business (SWaM) certification program is a state program of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The purpose is to enhance procurement opportunities for SWaM businesses participating in state-funded projects."

Much better than "I'm disadvantage, give me an advantage nonsense"

Some gov jobs are only available to SWaM registered companies so we don't have to compete with the big companies for the small jobs.

If you claim to be a Women Owned Company, the women needs to own 51%, collect 51% of profits, have 51% of the risk, and paid a salary proportionate to other officers in the company.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

You should have a black, gay, transgendered, one legged overweight woman as the sole owner and threaten to sue the living daylights out of anyone that dares to not hire you. "Use us... or else!" has a nice ring to it for a tag line.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
rosethornva (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Architectural historian
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
My preference is to run on reputation and ability to do what is needed for the price quoted.

These preferential treatment schemes do nothing but divide society into different classes based on race and gender, and pit us against one another......
AMEN to that!!!

In 1991, I started my *own* appliance repair business and enjoyed a fair amount of success without resorting to and/or relying on government programs. I really was the true owner, but I did NOT want the government involved in my life, so I went forth and prospered, and built a reputation built on honesty, hard work and good value.

To hell with the government.

Oh, did I say that out loud?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosethornva For This Useful Post:
RobertCDF (07-11-2014), tgeb (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

HAHA!! Yes you said that out loud. That is funny. Thanks for that inspiration I know I can run without them all up in my business. Time for me to get my reputation up on my own heck with the no good gov. Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

Your front woman (wife) has to be 51% owner or greater. I'm in Texas too. I tried telling one GC that asked if I was DBE/WBE I am disavantaged: I'm a white, non-disabled, educated male (in Texas that is a minority...). It's all a bunch of crap to me. Reverse discrimination. Hiring someone solely based on the fact that they are not white, or male.
When I submit a bid for demolition, or roll off service, I do not make a note at the bottom explaining that I am white, or male. The GC is looking at my bottom line compared to the next bidder's.
My advice: work your ass off, provide better service than your compeditors, and never deviate from your goal to have the best (fill in the blank/trucking) business that you can build.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ESSaustin For This Useful Post:
RangoWA (07-14-2014), tgeb (07-13-2014)