Deck Construction @ Winery: Review Our Plans? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Deck Construction @ Winery: Review Our Plans?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Deck Construction @ Winery: Review Our Plans?

I am looking for feedback on the footing/framing plans for a deck going up at an Iowa Winery.

Poured concrete footings will be 12" diameter & 48" Deep with an assumed frost depth of 42" in Central Iowa.

Posts will be PT 6x6 Sourced from Lowes.

Girders will be three Top Choice #2 Prime Pressure Treated 2x12s sourced from Lowes that are lagged into notched 6x6s. The joists will also be these same 2x12s.

The decking to be used will be AC2 Pressure Treated Pine Decking sourced from Menards. Deck screws will be used as fasteners.

The upper deck joists will be fastened to the girders using joist hangers. The lower deck joists will set on top of the girders.

The plans are depicted below. Thoughts?

Last edited by dutchswan; 05-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Deck Construction @ Winery: Review Our Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan View Post
I am looking for feedback on the footing/framing plans for a deck going up at our Iowa Winery.

Poured concrete footings will be 12" diameter & 48" Deep with an assumed frost depth of 42" in Central Iowa.

Posts will be PT 6x6 Sourced from Lowes.

Girders will be three Top Choice #2 Prime Pressure Treated 2x12s sourced from Lowes that are lagged into notched 6x6s. The joists will also be these same 2x12s.

The decking to be used will be AC2 Pressure Treated Pine Decking sourced from Menards. Deck screws will be used as fasteners.

The upper deck joists will be fastened to the girders using joist hangers. The lower deck joists will set on top of the girders.

The plans are depicted below. Thoughts?

My thoughts? Ditch the wood framing and go to a steel frame, it'll last longer and be a much better frame. Ditch the wood decking as well and do a cap layer composite board like Fiberon Horizon or DuraLife.

You didn't mention railing... Go with a custom welded railing with some accents that tie in with the wine theme. Put in a welded spiral staircase while you're at it.

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,534

They will be all liquored up on wine, they will think anything looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
My thoughts? Ditch the wood framing and go to a steel frame, it'll last longer and be a much better frame. Ditch the wood decking as well and do a cap layer composite board like Fiberon Horizon or DuraLife.

You didn't mention railing... Go with a custom welded railing with some accents that tie in with the wine theme. Put in a welded spiral staircase while you're at it.
This is the final project of the renovation of an old church into a winery. At this point, only the foundation and frame are original to the building. All of the electrical, plumbing, roofing, stone exterior...everything is brand new. $300K later, there is limited budget for building the decks. I need to keep the cost of materials below $4k. Hence, would must be used.

I think the feedback I need is more related to live/dead loads and whether or not the footings depicted will be sufficient.

Last edited by dutchswan; 05-23-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

A contractor should be able to help you out

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessQuality View Post
I am a general contractor, but decks are not my expertise. There simply is not enough money left in the budget to subcontract this portion out. Believe me, I would love subcontract it out. But if one does not have the scratch to do so, one does what one can do get the job done.

Last edited by dutchswan; 05-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessQuality View Post
Yea...

These are some seriously basic questions that anyone with experience should know. AND it should be noted on the approved plans, you do have a permit right?

So let me get this straight, you invest money in the renovation and then just say "Ah screw it, let's just slap some garbage up and call it good" when it comes to the deck. Seems like poor planning to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

Your design is plenty structurally adequate, do not notch 3x beam into a 6x post. And one other thing is, you're going to need to quadruple that budget
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan View Post
I think the feedback I need is more related to live/dead loads and whether or not the footings depicted will be sufficient.
Can't Johnny's Store (Menards) give you calcs on loads and resulting deflections based on your drawing?

What is your load criteria?
Soil conditions/geology?
Silty river bottom or Moraine or...?
Typical hard pan in the upper midwest comes in above 3200-3600lbs/sqft. Probably need something a bit more than 12" diameter footings on the upper deck

An Engineer's paid opinion would be advisable, if you the GC, are not confident
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Yea...

These are some seriously basic questions that anyone with experience should know. AND it should be noted on the approved plans, you do have a permit right?

So let me get this straight, you invest money in the renovation and then just say "Ah screw it, let's just slap some garbage up and call it good" when it comes to the deck. Seems like poor planning to me.
As professionals, condescension does not become us. This is located in a town of 900 in rural Iowa. The permitting process only required the dimensions of the deck. Load calculations were not required, nor will inspection be required. Scary ... I know.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Can't Johnny's Store (Menards) give you calcs on loads and resulting deflections based on your drawing?

What is your load criteria?
Soil conditions/geology?
Silty river bottom or Moraine or...?
Typical hard pan in the upper midwest comes in above 3200-3600lbs/sqft. Probably need something a bit more than 12" diameter footings on the upper deck

An Engineer's paid opinion would be advisable, if you the GC, are not confident
Apologies. I knew I was leaving out some information.

Assume 50psf live/dead load.
Assume soil is sufficient for 2,200psf.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,188

If you are going to build decks, you should print this out and read it. Even if it has not been adopted by your AHJ, it is still very good guidelines.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Plans by Marcy (05-29-2016)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
Your design is plenty structurally adequate, do not notch 3x beam into a 6x post. And one other thing is, you're going to need to quadruple that budget
I thought of setting it on top of the post, but also thought that perhaps the 1" of wood remaining from a notch could only aid in beam stabilization. I believe I don't really even need 3x beam construction with less than 5' spans. I am a creature of overkill. Perhaps I should just back off to 2x 2x12 beams and then notch out the beam.

Last edited by dutchswan; 05-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.C. View Post
If you are going to build decks, you should print this out and read it. Even if it has not been adopted by your AHJ, it is still very good guidelines.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf
No doubt. With the exception of electrical, none of the work during this renovation even required a permit in the first place...and that is only because a 2009 Iowa law required areas without an inspection process to go through the state. I should note that everything was built to code even though permits and inspections were not always required. You want the building to last at least another 100 years before its next renovation
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement