Database For Non-paying Customers?? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Database For Non-paying Customers??

Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Database For Non-paying Customers??

Hi folks. Does anyone know of a website that lists customers who haven't paid their contractors? If so, please advise!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Re: Database For Non-paying Customers??

Last one I knew of was www.deadbeat.com and I thaink it got sued for slander by somebody who could pay a lawyer but not his subs.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

if I dont get paid then the paint comes back off, your wife gets pregnant, and the kids will get their lunch money taken at the bus stop.
BobsLandscaping (07-09-2009), Darwin (07-28-2009), Magnettica (07-29-2009), rbsremodeling (07-09-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

I'm looking to start a site that will be legitimate, yet give you the heads up that you need. My brother is a contractor and this was his idea. He gets ripped off a lot so I thought I'd do some research and see what I could do.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
semi-skilled laborer

How do you get ripped off alot ? You should learn after a couple of times and change the way you write up contracts and schedule payments so that it will avoid these types of things.
I would definetly make sure I had a disclaimer if I was starting that website you are talking about.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

You are entering some shark infested waters with this one.... Might want to think about investing in prepaid legal. A "legitimate" site like this will equal a "legitimate" lawsuit. All great contractors have customers they would rather not ever see again. Instead of wasting energy and valuable time on trashing them consider this.

Its Business, it is not personal.

If I am the contractor and the homeowner thinks I am an idiot and is difficult, why is he giving me money? Who is the idiot?

That is why we have forums like this, so we can tell the story here, laugh and move on.

The class act contractor has standards and work ethics that no matter what, the right thing is done for the right reason. Anger drains the soul and sinks the ship.

Last edited by Proud Plumber; 07-09-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
How do you get ripped off alot ? You should learn after a couple of times and change the way you write up contracts and schedule payments so that it will avoid these types of things.
I would definetly make sure I had a disclaimer if I was starting that website you are talking about.
This is about my brother as a contractor and another business where he works. I pretty much know what you need to do ahead of time, but sometimes it still doesn't work out. I also know that this type of a website would definately have to go thru a lawyer before I'd ever proceed. I'm just looking for any sites that may already be out there to see how they set it up and so forth.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
My brother is a contractor and this was his idea. He gets ripped off a lot....
BOY!!!
Now there's a curious comment if I ever heard one. I would think your energies would be better spent appraising your brothers conduct and procedures and helping him to morph himself by developing some new methods.

In thirty three years of construction contracting I have been stung only three times. Once for $225.00, once for $1800.00 and once for $31,000.00. There was a lesson in that last one. It has never happened again.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
$31,000.00. There was a lesson in that last one. It has never happened again.
LOL!!! sorry Bud I am laughing with you, not at you. In the toughest and most extreme lessons there is a positive side to the experience gained as painful as it is to admit. Just came to the end of a $21,000.00 lesson. A laugh I am sure you understand.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Well that was almost twenty years ago and now I have it filed in my "Chit Happens" file but back then it was a real a$$ kicker as you can imagine.

I know you'll believe this part of the story.

On that job I was a third tier subcontractor working in Texas under a GC from Mississippi. The Super and his three foremen allways carried a Bible on their dashbords. We were expected to be on the job at 6:30 each morning so that we could all participate in a group prayer. I had the filthiest mouth on the job and proved it one day when they were two weeks late with my draw and wouldn't address or sign any of my ongoing change orders. I exploded in that CS's face and called him everything but a Mississippian. Inside of an hour I had moved all of my equipment off the job and sent everyone home. Then they sued me.................never made it to court tho.

Bless you my son!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
semi-skilled laborer

$21,000 .....
$31,000 .....
I am glad I dont operate on that large of a scale, I would definetly be in prison.
There is a painter that goes into the loacl paint store that ripped off another painter I know for $15,000. I asked the guy arent you gonna say something to him ?
His answer was what good would it do.
I told him you are already into this guy for 15, you give me another $1000 and I will drag his little a$$ outside and pound him in the face with a quart of paint untill you want me to stop. He declined my offer.
You guys kept your cool though and are still free men so I have to say your business sense far outweighs anything I have to offer.
cabinet runner (07-09-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
General Contractor

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 81

contractordefense.com
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #13

that was exactly what I was looking for!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
$21,000 .....
$31,000 .....
I am glad I dont operate on that large of a scale, I would definetly be in prison.
There is a painter that goes into the loacl paint store that ripped off another painter I know for $15,000. I asked the guy arent you gonna say something to him ?
His answer was what good would it do.
I told him you are already into this guy for 15, you give me another $1000 and I will drag his little a$$ outside and pound him in the face with a quart of paint untill you want me to stop. He declined my offer.
You guys kept your cool though and are still free men so I have to say your business sense far outweighs anything I have to offer.
I don't operate on that large of a scale, I am actually a tiny little contractor, and although I won't bore you with the details, don't think my head didn't go there a time or two. But the people involved were simple minded and it really wouldn't have made a difference... I have a good wife who is very supporting of me and we got through it. Energy at times like that is best served on solutions and keeping my side of the road clean no matter what. Besides, to waste a perfectly good paint can on people like that... just not worth it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
Commercial Estimator

Trade: Insulation, Drywall, Fighting Insurance Adjusters
Rewards Points: 16

Since "Contractor Review" sites are becoming popular for homeowners. I think someone should start up a "Homeowner Review" site where contractors can write up their experiences with Homeowners.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
The Old Master

Trade: Plumbing & Heating
Rewards Points: 83

First sometimes my brain gets warped. I used this one time
mailed the instruction (see attachemnt) to he customer.
When I showed up out side his property with a old bag cell phone
he gave me a check. I left ROTFLMAO
Attached Files
File Type: doc wontpay.doc (23.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 25

I like that.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
General Contractor

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 81

I agree that a Homeowner Review site could be very helpful to contractors. During these tough economic times a bad client can do more damage to your company then they could have done a few years ago.

I can spot a trouble maker pretty quick, but these days it's not so easy to simply walk away because I have a bad feeling.

I have been giving this a lot of thought over the last year. I actually have a website in the works, but it's just a Home Page with some thoughts on it at this point.

Maybe some day I will follow through with it.

It's not about getting even with a homeowner, or humiliating them on the www. It's about protecting honest hardworking contractors from real bad clients. A bad client doesn't just hurt a small companys owner, or employees when they refuse to pay. They hurt whole familys, including children, and pets.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: High Pressure Air
Rewards Points: 30

I recomend you send all info you can about them to the ex wife of the prime minister of oil for nigeria. Then maybe they can afford to pay their bills!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailhemby View Post
Hi folks. Does anyone know of a website that lists customers who haven't paid their contractors? If so, please advise!
Interesting concept but I dont think anything like that exists.

Advertisement