Damn Thieves - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Damn Thieves

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,030

Damn Thieves

Had my truck broken into in front of the house this week.. Most likely teenagers...

They broke out the drivers side window & took my ipod, dock & about $1,200 in tools.

And with copper salvage rates up--jobsites all over are being stripped of wire, downspouts, plumbing, etc.

#*#$ing sucks...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder, Additions, large remodels...Lately also s
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Damn Thieves

That ***** drives me nuts. I'm worried about everyone, my workers, my subs everyone. My cousin had someone break into some of his houses and they took about 25k in appliances and tools.

They were smart.

They took a pry bar and stuck it in the top of the overhead door then bent the top panel down, reached in and grabbed the red cord that releases the door from the track and just lifted the door up.

I think it was an inside job because they only hit the houses that had the appliances in and there's no way to tell that from the outside of the homes (painters plastic on the windows still).

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackman View Post
They took a pry bar and stuck it in the top of the overhead door then bent the top panel down, reached in and grabbed the red cord that releases the door from the track and just lifted the door up.
I fix broken GDOs like that. Drill a 3/4" hole into the centre of the door, stick a coat hanger in and yank the release. Then I install the emergency release kit for them. Getting into a garage is quite easy if you know where to drill.

And it sucks that you got broken into. I'm always afraid of something simular, but my neighbourhood seems to be pretty good.. yet I still have a couple of cameras on my driveway just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

That sucks. Not enough of a loss to offset the deductible and increased rates too. So I I guess you're not going through insurance?

Was you ipod in plain view? Van or pickup? Think about getting an alarm, and tell the guy you want it to make the most noise possible, (neighbours will hate you....but not too much reaaly), not just some little beeps. After two thefts, I had an alarm and cage put in my van. Two big sirens, full horn, lights. It sounds like ocean freighter when it goes off, but it does appear to be working.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I had my entire van stolen from my driveway few years ago, while out of town for my daughters wedding. It had an alarm on it too, loud one, but nobody saw or heard anything. Figures. Nice thing to come home to.

By the time the insurance company got through depreciating the tools and equipment, I lost about $6,000

The next truck had a LoJack and alarm.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Builder/Remodeler

I've been way too complacent up to now... I'll be adding an alarm & probably a camera on the driveway.

We all pay in one way or another for these losers. I like the way they deal with thieves in the middle east...The recidivism rate would go way down if thieves had to forfeit a hand for the crime.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

Dogs....big barking dogs... works every time. You will need to fence the yard though and put a simple lock on the gate so the little ones do not get in.
Cameras, alarms and shot guns are good too, but fences and dogs work the best.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Yup, still there.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper
Rewards Points: 250

This is my alarm . They even caught my kid sneaking in past cerfew. Caught him sneaking into the shop too.They re good dogs I just wish I could bring them to work and keep everyone out. Sorry about your loss I had all my tools stolen from a job site just a couple of months ago. They only got my hand tools but they still added up too $1200
Attached Thumbnails
Damn Thieves-img_0001.jpg  
Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
Builder/Remodeler

I've got the dogs... Two very large, very loud great danes...

I doubt anyone would ever touch the house. I'm fairly sure whoever it was got spooked when the dogs started barking--they only took what was close to the driver's side.

They got two bags of hand tools, too. You really take for granted how much you have tied up in all that, until you have to start replacing them.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrWright View Post
You really take for granted how much you have tied up in all that, until you have to start replacing them.
Good Point! I just finished taking photos and making an inventory of all my equipment. If anything should happen, I will have a complete list for the insurance co. I did this for my home as well.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPainting View Post
Good Point! I just finished taking photos and making an inventory of all my equipment. If anything should happen, I will have a complete list for the insurance co. I did this for my home as well.
I have a home inventory program that I got from the insurance institute that I like pretty well. Lets you put the picture of the item or receipt with the item along with all the information related to it. I keep it on the computer and update as I get or get rid of different stuff. Also keep a copy on a flash drive that I keep in the safe deposit box just in case something happens. Actually I have two flash drives that I rotate since I figure that sure as I bring the one home a tornado or fire will happen and I will screw myself anyway.

http://www.iii.org/

Off to the upper right of the page is the software download.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Memorial Weekend 2006. Me and my wifes 6 month old GMC Serria 4x4 ext cab get's stolen out of my drive way. It was totaly my fault. Me and the wife both had our keys on us and she said she wanted to drive, I said sure you can drive. So I took my keys and threw them in the glove box, (I don't like getting poked by the keys) We got really late home that night I notice the out side light is burned out again and my kids are pastout in the back seat age 5 and 3. The wife goes and opens the house door and we each carried a kid in and put them to bed. Closed the doors on the truck and locked the doors. But I think we forgot to close the sliding rear window? Not really sure there was no broken glass. 2 other vehicles stereo's got stolen the same night. Man I was pizzed off! 28 days later the police found in one piece off in a bad neighborhood. We went to the pound to get it out out side looked great even got new set of 22" rims with it probaly stolen too. The inside was trashed!!!!!!!! We took it home and cleaned it out took us 6hrs to clean the carpet and the things we found were needless to say we have a new vehicle which replaced our truck.

Michael

Advertisement