Customer's That Swear - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Customer's That Swear

Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Customer's That Swear

Did it ever strike you odd when you meet a potential customer and pretty soon they are using swear words around you? Ever think about what it means?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Customer's That Swear

Context.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 427

Depends on the volume. I would generally think this means they are comfortable with you, or they think they are "fitting in" with us construction types by using profanity.

Easy Gibson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
MAD Renovations (12-17-2009), stp57 (12-17-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Depends on how soon and for lack of better terms, the degree and frequency they are cursing we're talkng about. If it is withen minutes after the initial meeting yes I do think it is odd, and could be a very good indication of what sort of personality they have. If it is after we have had a chance to talk for a little while they may just feel comfortable around you. Some people do curse alot, but just after meeting you is not appropriate IMO.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

I curse a lot, but as a rule, I never curse in front of someone unless they have already done so multiple times. Are you sure you are not letting some slip?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

"Profanity is an effort by the feeble minded to express themselves forcefully."

Thanks Rudy, I knew that comment would come in handy some day.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakzaag For This Useful Post:
A W Smith (12-18-2009), carpentershane (12-18-2009), JumboJack (12-18-2009), MAD Renovations (12-17-2009), Magnettica (12-19-2009), rselectric1 (12-17-2009), stp57 (12-17-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

It is also a crutch, like saying, "Uh", "Like", and "well". It is also a bad habit and can be changed, as I should. @##@ that! I like's me curses!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Making Everyone Happy

Ya it has to make you wonder about the person and their character. I dont mind a few three letter words here and there. But when they go into the four letters constantly I just want to roll my eyes.

On a side note a friend of mind has recently stopped swearing and in its place he says shut.... the front door.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Depends on the volume. I would generally think this means they are comfortable with you, or they think they are "fitting in" with us construction types by using profanity.
This is how I take it. It's usually always somebody who lets you know they have some sort of affiliation with tradework in some way or another.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Quite a few years ago, I go on a call and meet the husband. Been there like 10 minutes, we're outside talking about what they want done, and his wife pulls up.

She gets out of the car and starts asking him about this or that. He turns and yells at her "shut your c***sucker".

I couldn't believe what I had just heard! Gave him a look to kill, and just walked to my truck and drove away. I wanted to pound him into the ground, but just walked away.

How anyone could speak to their wife like that is beyond me. And I sure don't want anything to do with someone that would.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
bwalley (12-18-2009), Joasis (12-18-2009), stp57 (12-17-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
Quite a few years ago, I go on a call and meet the husband. Been there like 10 minutes, we're outside talking about what they want done, and his wife pulls up.

She gets out of the car and starts asking him about this or that. He turns and yells at her "shut your c***sucker".

I couldn't believe what I had just heard! Gave him a look to kill, and just walked to my truck and drove away. I wanted to pound him into the ground, but just walked away.

How anyone could speak to their wife like that is beyond me. And I sure don't want anything to do with someone that would.
Glad you got out when you did. Sometimes you find out after you have taken the job. Nothing is more akward than working on someones house when a family fight breaks out.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

I make sure to never swear on the first meeting. Homeowners that swear right away always make me take a step back and usually after awhile when they realize I am not saying any of the words back, they sort of just stop saying it. Afterwards, depending on the homeowner, I may let a few words slip. Its all about professionalism. I wouldn't want to go to a doctor that says looks like you need a friggen (replace with choice word) stint in your heart.

If I interview people and they begin to swear, it actually makes me feel awkward. Here I am, in a position to give you a job and you just want to cuss right away. Is this something that is going to be said in front of the homeowner or what. IMO, people who constantly cuss just seem sloppy to me.

However, it is much different if you hit your thumb with a hammer and you swear. Thats understandable.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post

Holy cow! That is all jacked up!

I ran into a simular, very strange and awkward situation once myself, however the story didn't come out until after the contract was signed.

It was a remodel on a house that had some water damage, the husband had recently returned from Afgan to find that his wife had spent allmost all of his combat pay and apparently had a boyfriend.... I know, sounds like a freakin soap opera episode.

I was only doing the estimates at that point, but even when I was there checking out some uncovered damage the husband was telling me the new boyfriend was on his way to pick up his wife when he got there he was going to kick his....you know what... I told him, for everyones benifit I'm leaving. Felt sorry for the crew that had to go back there to do the work, but as far as I know nothing ever happened....

Crazy some of the stuff we wind up in the middle of.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,882

I don't mind if the person is using swear words in normal g**-d***ed conversation. Some people just f***ing talk that way.
ACPINTER (12-19-2009), carpentershane (12-18-2009), ibarnes (12-18-2009), thom (12-18-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I don't mind if the person is using swear words in normal g**-d***ed conversation. Some people just f***ing talk that way.
Especially all those ***dam contractors !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,136

Im like Tscar. If someone has swore multiple times, I will in turn start using some expletives. Its just the way I talk for the most part. I can explain myself and describe things without using the harsh language, but for the most part I just dont. Most of the men on my Dads side of the family were in trades or worked on the railroad or in a mill. Swearing just becomes part of an everyday thing.

I personally think some folks put too much emphasis on it being 'bad'.
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Pro

Here's another one. Go to see a local couple about a bathroom remodel. This is about 3 yrs ago.

I'd seen them about, but had never met them. Well we're in the bathroom, talking about what they want done, and the energy in that room was something I can't really describe. Very bad vibes.

So, I listen to my gut instints, and tell them I'm just too busy right now to do their job.

Well about 3 months later, she puts a rifle in her mouth and pulls the trigger. She lived, but lost part of her face, and suffered brain damage.

Sometimes you just have to listen to your instints, they're rarely wrong.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason View Post
Im like Tscar. If someone has swore multiple times, I will in turn start using some expletives. Its just the way I talk for the most part. I can explain myself and describe things without using the harsh language, but for the most part I just dont. Most of the men on my Dads side of the family were in trades or worked on the railroad or in a mill. Swearing just becomes part of an everyday thing.

I personally think some folks put too much emphasis on it being 'bad'.

In the field working:
  • IMO, it depends on the situation. When I'm on NC jobs and the only people there are guys like us, we let it fly.
  • However, in an occupied home on a remodel, I always just assume there might be kids around.
As the GC or on a sales call, etc.
  • Never
Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #19

Trade: Custom Home Builder

I have a mason that almost every sentence he uses in conversation is some thing f**k or this s**t. One would think he is a moron, unsuccessful or possibly not well educated. No matter what you add up about him he lands huge jobs both residential and commercial. He came to this country 20-25 years ago from Poland. Maybe he just learned the wrong way. His house is not far from mine and in this "down" market it's still about $1.5 mil so he did something right.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 250

I usually try not to cuss until the HO lets a lot of sh*t fly

Advertisement