Curious: Why Hire Union? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Curious: Why Hire Union?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Master of Rocket Science

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 123

Curious: Why Hire Union?

I wanted to start a separate thread for this since all the other union threads are more geared towards opinions and debate. Me and s co-worker were wondering this the other day and couldn't find a logical answer.

What's the purpose of a contractor becoming union? If he could easily hire non-union labor and increase his profit? In this case how would unions even survive aside from govt projects?

Id like to hear it from the bigger commercial contractors who deal with union and non. I understand there are tax write offs and etc but what else? Is it the pressure? Perhaps some networking, fringe benefits?

Please respond only with straight facts. If this turns into a thread like the last union one the mods are likely to shut it down.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Re: Curious: Why Hire Union?

well rereading the whole union thread, you will see that there are many facts for a union contractor and for not being a union contractor. There has been many seasoned contractors from both sides of the fence that has added their experices. Almost all of it is true. Also many carpenters have addded their experice. I doubt any of us could add more to it other then starting another war that gets no where.

You could PM the members that you have serious questions about thier stand point.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
falcon1 (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

I work for a large commercial gc. We only hire union contractors in cities where the union presence is very strong, and even then only on certain projects. We have done mixed jobs (union and non union) and it is a pain the butt.

We build mostly apartments, nursing homes, senior apartments, etc. Mostly wood frame.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,840

Why Hire Union?... If for no other reason to show you that you can charge more than you are now...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 12,998

To show that you pay a living wage and use legal work force.
These things still mean something to some people.
JDavis21835 (03-11-2012), KAP (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

I own a union company and bid on both union and non union work.
Its less of a head ache to hire union employees imo
My guys have there osha 30 and ingersol rand hardware certs they dont miss time there reliable. Theres a big difference when paying someone 46 compared to 25. And thats union or non union.
I really dont see a benefit to go non union maybe my profit margins would go up maybe. But i would definetly lose my core group of guys. And then im down to dealing with the problems of a carpenter whos willing to work for 25 an hour and no benefits. This is the benefit for me a small contractor im sure there are benefits to the larger companys
Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,616

Can't you go non-union and still pay 45 a hour?
Gary H (03-12-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I hired a union guy to do some drywall for me since I have been pre-occupied and all I can say is wow. Cleanest work I have ever seen.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
Pro

Yes and some of my guys would like that but my forman would say fu and go work for some one else to get his 85 points so he can retire.
And there are not that many non union applicants out there that meet my requirements. Certs drug tests commercial back ground. They either own there own co or are a forman elsewhere. And the little amount of work i get from signatory union gcs i wouldnt.
The apprenticeship program here is good.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
There is also the savings of not having to train your work force, a call to the hall will get you a journeyman that is already trained to do his trade. There is also the benefits, you as an employer pay one a weekly figure to the local per employee and they have all the benefits offered by the local, as opposed to you either not providing benefits, or paying much higher premiums for small group insurance.

Being union allows you to only staff the number of people you need at any given time, if times are slow you send them back to the hall as opposed to trying to scramble to find something for your guys to do to prevent them from quitting on you from lack of work.

Other benefits from hiring union are going to vary by location, in cities with a large union presence a lot of the larger jobs are going to be union only jobs out of necessity, so it can open up more bidding opportunities.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
Pro

I wont hire people from the hall in my opinion you get the bottom of the barrel
Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 13,672

You usually get well trained carpenters, and can call from the hall for more if needs it. They are like any other group, some have work ethic, some don't. The one issue I saw that was common with ones I worked around, was that they were very particular about not doing work that was not what they thought they should be doing. Also if it got over 101 degrees they roll up?? They usually worked from 7 to 330, so usually wasn't a problem.

Here union boys get 500$ health insurance and 23$ an hour for journeyman, 24$ for crew foreman's, 25$ for section foreman's. Not 45$, not even with benifits. Most companies had paid holidays and NO vacation. I am non union and have paid holidays and vacation.

One thing I didn't like was that you could bypass much of the four year apprenticeship. Could just be regional though. Union doesn't have any pull here.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpider View Post
There is also the savings of not having to train your work force, a call to the hall will get you a journeyman that is already trained to do his trade. There is also the benefits, you as an employer pay one a weekly figure to the local per employee and they have all the benefits offered by the local, as opposed to you either not providing benefits, or paying much higher premiums for small group insurance.

Being union allows you to only staff the number of people you need at any given time, if times are slow you send them back to the hall as opposed to trying to scramble to find something for your guys to do to prevent them from quitting on you from lack of work.

Other benefits from hiring union are going to vary by location, in cities with a large union presence a lot of the larger jobs are going to be union only jobs out of necessity, so it can open up more bidding opportunities.
Thank You very well put
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #14

Trade: Residential contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy
As if private contractors don't pay well and only hire illegals. People don't usually care what you do as long as long as you get the job done on tie and on budget. We're not social agencies. We actually use our own money and need to make a profit to survive.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,304

Quote:
So non-union contractors only hire dead aliens?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
Doug

Trade: roofing, remodeling & painting
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Why Hire Union?... If for no other reason to show you that you can charge more than you are now...
The Union fights for employees rights for a better wage and has a great apprenticeship program with on the job and classroom training....I was Union back in NYC but now here in Charlotte NC there is no Union and I have to train my own employees........."Anyone can pull a Tooth out but it takes Schooling to become a Dentist" lol...

Charlotte Roofing, Remodeling and Painting Contractors - NC

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
There is also the savings of not having to train your work force, a call to the hall will get you a journeyman that is already trained to do his trade.
That's not true

Quote:
It's the same thing. Lay people off is just that laying people off.

Quote:
Other benefits from hiring union are going to vary by location, in cities with a large union presence a lot of the larger jobs are going to be union only jobs out of necessity,
Not true. It's called a Project Labor Agreement which restricts free & open competition for projects. It's the only way unions can survive in a free market

Quote:
so it can open up more bidding opportunities.
That's not true. Private sector unions continue to lose market share all over the country. More & more states are passing Anti-Project Labor Agreement laws which means even less market market share for union contractors.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
That's not true
Yes it is

Quote:
It's the same thing. Lay people off is just that laying people off.
But when your in a union your family gets to keep their health inc. for the next year or so till your reemployed

Quote:
Not true. It's called a Project Labor Agreement which restricts free & open competition for projects. It's the only way unions can survive in a free market
Yes it is, but your free and open really means pay as little as possible and treat them any way you want to. And pay the illegals cash on Friday. I really am tired of hearing of this so called free market place when we all know it's rigged from the top all the way down and the ones that profit the most are the fat cats on the top. Take your free market and tell it to someone that doesn't know any better. In your free market place, Red Lobster buys shrimp from Thailand and China at 2.50a lb. and resales them for 24$ a lb. with huge pics of gulf shrimping boats all over their walls Man could I go on an on good thing I can't type !

Quote:
That's not true. Private sector unions continue to lose market share all over the country. More & more states are passing Anti-Project Labor Agreement laws which means even less market market share for union contractors.
Yea your right again, because the crooks in government want the illegals vote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,304

Quote:
Yes it is
So if you ALWAYS get a JW, where do the union apprentices work for the first five years of their careers?

Last edited by 480sparky; 03-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Gotta love the unions:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

You guys can keep your unions!

http://influencepeddler.blogspot.com...-industry.html

http://www.examiner.com/conservative...-auto-industry

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
A-1 Interiors (07-08-2012), CO762 (03-11-2012)