Create An Over $100,000.00 Per Year Position - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Create An Over $100,000.00 Per Year Position

Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

Create An Over $100,000.00 Per Year Position

You all run adequately successful contracting companies.

You are keeping your head just above water during this recession.

Then, A Magic Contractors Fairy appears, stating that you can do one of two things.

A. You get to pick the most talented person you know, either in person or from knowing them on the Internet or other sources, even without having any current position for him/her to add onto your company.

This person must get paid a minimum of $104,000.00 per year, or call it $2,000.00 per week, plus incurred expenses that would be typical.

What position would you create for this individual to grow your company and thrive in this economy instead of just staying above water?

Who would you pick? Why? What do you see in them that you would feel confident in going forward with this new position created and hire.

or

B. You are the individual being considered for this newly created position. What would you do and what would you need to achieve total success?

How would you become the biggest asset that this company could have ever comprehended utilizing?

What skills or special talents do you bring to the table?

Yes, you can select a member from this forum that you would wish to offer this opportunity to. Who will it be?

What will it take for you to not only get this individual to jump in, hook line and sinker to consider this as a viable opportunity for both them and you? What growth would you expect for your company and also for them in the future?

I figured this might be interesting to see what the ideal candidate would be like.

Ed

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Re: Create An Over $100,000.00 Per Year Position

This person works for a huge (possibly international) General Contractor that has the ability to sell multi-billion dollar Mall and Office Park projects to city governments in CSAs and MSAs with populations over 1+ million.

Advertisement

Last edited by Max Nomad; 12-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Nomad View Post
This person works for a huge (possibly international) General Contractor that has the ability to sell multi-billion dollar Mall and Office Park projects to city governments in CSAs and MSAs with populations over 1+ million.
Then, for you, a Salesman who already has the connections would be the ideal candidate.

Why would he want to leave such a position to become a pert of your team?

What financial or emotional advantages can you provide for this individual that he does not already have?

Would this type of person be someone you could count on remaining loyal to the new company?

Besides his previous sales connections, what else is he bringing to the table?

What tasks would you want this new employee/team member to be able to be adept at?

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

This will require thinking... I may come back once my brain is fully engaged...

~Matt
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #5

Trade: Lead Nail Bender....
Rewards Points: 95

good question, and since we are the framing business - I would love to have another 20 something in not only phyiscal shape, but mental aswell. Good with lifting heavy walls and good at math. Someone that loved their job as much as I do, and would be here for the long haul and someone that is nimble, adaptable, and prepared to participate in my organization at the same level of competitiveness as the rest of us. Some one that sets and accomplishs goals. A hard working motovated employee that would be rewarded for his hard work.

I would love for him to start a new crew and would start him at a competitive salary with competitive vacation/holiday pay. I would let him have almost complete control of "his" crew and he would only need very little supervision. I would give him a leadership position, but have performance evaulations every once in awhile and increase pay according. I would like to think if I treated him the way I would want to be treated as an employee he would be greatful and a long-lasting employee. If he felt like a owner I think he would show it in his work.

I am sure my dream of an employee is totally different than some, however, we are all in different fields.

With a employee like this it would "re-light" the flame underneath us and help bring new attention to our company thru speed and quality workmanship. Expand our company to tackle bigger and more projects. Divide respnsiblity and more focus on ways to make us more efficent,deisgn work, meeting with clints, and advertising, etc.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

The Contractor Fairy? This thread is comical.

I won't take a salary. Give me 7.5% of what I sell, 5% of the company's gross sales, plus 10% of the gross sales that exceed the company's average gross sales for the past 10 years, and I will earn about $500,000, or I won't take the job.

Before I take the job, the owner would have to relinquish all his authority to make any desicions. The owner would have to sit back and watch, or take a sabbatical.

My first task would be to look at the history showing the type work the company did and the profits. Look at the past advertising and crunch numbers. Crunch numbers for the past payroll, and change the payroll to a system that gets more production, and allows the employee to earh higher wages. Weed out the deadbeats and cut the fat even if it means terminating the owner's relatives. Reduce all costs by setting up better systems to run the office more efficiently. Cut costs by negotiating with suppliers. Design and implement more effective advertising campaigns. Put on my tool belt and work alongside the employees, to train and motivate them.

Hire me!

I'm waiting for my phone to ring! Okay, I'll take $450,000

Last edited by pcplumber; 12-30-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenrty, remodeling , residential
Rewards Points: 75

the ideal company .. having motivated employees or every aspect of residential construction .. all with in 5-10 yrs exp .. why then becouse there in there prime about that time eager to work and effiecent . having the abilities to to anything at anytime with minimal downtime .. with a complete team of electricans ,framers roofers ,siders drywallers , ect that know each other and respect other s work creates a great team .. and with a unbeatable team needs a confident salesman that has the backing to do anything ....

for me to run the operation will easlt make desired amount of money
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

You would pick a salesman, also someone who has professional associations and is active in their community. This person would be likable and easy to be around and also would have a thirst for knowledge. Soon after starting this person would know you better and could or would approach you and ask what would they have to do to become a partner, being a realist they know they must bring something to the table, something you don't or won't do yourself.
Salesman
Pro
Unselfish
Easy to like
Student
Teacher
Understanding
Motivated
Realistic
Hardworking
Who do you know like that?

So, what are you driving at Ed?

Last edited by silvertree; 12-30-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
You all run adequately successful contracting companies.

You are keeping your head just above water during this recession.

Then, A Magic Contractors Fairy appears, stating that you can do one of two things.

A. You get to pick the most talented person you know, either in person or from knowing them on the Internet or other sources, even without having any current position for him/her to add onto your company.

This person must get paid a minimum of $104,000.00 per year, or call it $2,000.00 per week, plus incurred expenses that would be typical.

What position would you create for this individual to grow your company and thrive in this economy instead of just staying above water?

Who would you pick? Why? What do you see in them that you would feel confident in going forward with this new position created and hire.

1) I would choose a salesman that could sell crotchless panties in a Nunnery.

I am going to hell for that aren't I?

2) I would feel confident in someone that was young, single, with a type "A" personality and that had no soul.
People like that are better at doing what it takes to make the sale every time.

Thank you Magic Contractor's Fairy!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
You would pick a salesman, also someone who has professional associations and is active in their community. This person would be likable and easy to be around and also would have a thirst for knowledge. Soon after starting this person would know you better and could or would approach you and ask what would they have to do to become a partner, being a realist they know they must bring something to the table, something you don't or won't do yourself.
Salesman
Pro
Unselfish
Easy to like
Student
Teacher
Understanding
Motivated
Realistic
Hardworking
Who do you know like that?

So, what are you driving at Ed?
Who knows what the resultant candidate qualities will end up being.

What am I driving at?

Maybe, I am just submitting my own online resume' for consideration???

Hmmm???

Any takers???

No, actually, in my opinion, I think that you hit on the gist of the lines of what I was considering too.

I think that the Super Salesman is a pipe dream, (Plumber Humor Maybe...LOL, Pipe Dream...I kill myself sometimes)

Everyone wants the Magic Salesman. What else does he bring in to the whole team enhancement?

I do like how PCplumber was thinking though, regarding the prospective partnering as an eventuality. It shows more commitment from that point of reference than the guy who brings his current clients from his previous position and may do the same to you, when a better offer arises.

Ed
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Short version
I was the Super salesman.
Dressed nice, good wheels and I got the job done.
My boss stretched too far and lost the business.
I took a few leads I was working on and started Silvertree, if the guy had paid me I would not have done that.
Now days, I can still sell, probably better. I have a company but I'm not a good businessman.
I took a partner because I believed I wasn't a good businessman. The truth turned out to be I wasn't as bad as I thought I was, I just don't like the business side of things.
I don't know about you Ed, but at an age when most guys are thinking to retire in a few years, I'm thinking I have to get the ball rolling.
I have mixed feelings about this but the end result is, "I'm back".
My decision is to give it my best, to give the customer an honest deal and to go out a winner.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Puppy Old Man
Rewards Points: 250

(Pictured above) These are the qualities I would look for.

Sorry Ed (I keed I keed.)

In all seriousness, answering the question from a contractor's perspective, I would have to agree with the salesman approach.

Either an established salesman, or a hatchetman who will pretty much take over operations.

I've seen this work before when a high quality guy went bankrupt in a terrible market, then moved to a very strong market and was starving for an opportunity. He was 10 years younger than the business owner, and hungry, with a big family and something to prove.

He really shined and was grateful for the opportunity. And guess what, he didn't get paid $104,000. (Hmmm, seems like this sort of guy might be more common nowadays....)

The Construction Marketing Blog
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethHoldren View Post
Sorry Ed (I keed I keed.)

In all seriousness, answering the question from a contractor's perspective, I would have to agree with the salesman approach.

Either an established salesman, or a hatchetman who will pretty much take over operations.

I've seen this work before when a high quality guy went bankrupt in a terrible market, then moved to a very strong market and was starving for an opportunity. He was 10 years younger than the business owner, and hungry, with a big family and something to prove.

He really shined and was grateful for the opportunity. And guess what, he didn't get paid $104,000. (Hmmm, seems like this sort of guy might be more common nowadays....)
People are claiming that NOW is a Buyers Market for homes that are listing at 30% to 50% of what they were appraised for just 2 short years ago.

I feel that the same can be stated about a very talented crop of industrious salesmen and other hungry, yet well trained and motivated team members may be able to be cultivated with the recession wide down-sizing underway.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 12-31-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Custom Stuff

Trade: General Contractor - Custom Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

In my case, with no leads right now, I would need someone who can help generate a few leads, do decent estimates, and sell some. I don't need much right now, 3 jobs at a time work for me. Once, not if, things start to roll, I would let this individual find his own role as long as it benefits us both. However, he would have to generate his own salary but I don't care one bit if he (or she) makes more than me.

Ok, too much to ask for?

I am probably good to no one as I have been on my own for way too long, am way too stubborn, and know everything.

Advertisement