Crazy Times, Without A Doubt. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Crazy Times, Without A Doubt.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 20

Crazy Times, Without A Doubt.

We're always busy, can't remember the last time we wanted for work, but it's gotten almost insane around here. Doesn't seem to matter what price I put on, the answer seems to be yes, when can you do it. We've raised our floor sanding rates 60% in the last year, & it hasn't slowed them down a bit, if anything, they've picked up speed.

Add to that, seems the word has gotten out, that we build cabinets now too. Admittedly, I'm still finding my way with how to price that facet of our business, but again, it doesn't seem to matter what price I put on shop work, just the fact that I say yes, we can do that, is all it takes.

I know the rule is, if you're getting everything you bid, you're too cheap. Like I said, we've been raising & raising our rates, & it's not backing them off. Every tradesman I know, is crazy busy as well. Not sure if I'm bragging, or complaining, all I know is I'm getting tired.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-15-2020), asevereid (07-14-2020), Deckhead (07-14-2020), jproffer (07-17-2020), KAP (07-14-2020), Kowboy (07-15-2020), ScipioAfricanus (07-15-2020), Snobnd (07-16-2020), TheConstruct (07-18-2020), Tom M (07-14-2020), wallmaxx (07-15-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,408

Re: Crazy Times, Without A Doubt.

Around here, you're supposed to be tired all summer, because winter is pretty dead. Hang in there!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Around here, you're supposed to be tired all summer, because winter is pretty dead. Hang in there!

Got half the winter scheduled already. Still got a pretty good list of leads to bid when I get to their town.

I've gotta find a young buck that wants to apprentice in the floor sanding business. I keep telling everyone we're looking for the right young man, but nobody seems to know him yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 13,124

Phone has been ringing off the hook. As a one man army it's overwhelming.

Today I told someone I can't take on anything else right now for a while till I can see light band said he'd wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,266

I'm positive this has to do with everybody sitting at home for the last few months with nothing to do but notice flaws in their own house.
Also, nobody's been able to eat out, go to the track, the titty bar, or the regular bar. I think there's more people than not finding themselves flush with cash right now.
Hell, I've been calling contractors!

Take the work and be grateful. My plan has been to meet with everyone and wow them with my top tier personality, which softens the blow for when I tell them I can do it in the fall.... maybe. Gotta sell them on you so that they'll stick around and then somehow work it out so that they do indeed stick around. This kind of bidding frenzy can't last forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
RoofingInNC (07-22-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,856

“ Grant Imahara mourned by 'MythBusters' co-stars after sudden death”

https://news.yahoo.com/grant-imahara...184408256.html
Old 07-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post

Today I told someone I can't take on anything else right now for a while till I can see light band said he'd wait.
Same here, someone called about a project and when i told him that i wouldnt even be able to bid it until the fall he said ok i contact you then....WTF i didnt even give the guy a price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Same here, someone called about a project and when i told him that i wouldnt even be able to bid it until the fall he said ok i contact you then....WTF i didnt even give the guy a price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here, it's a lack of quality tradesmen. Everyone that does high quality work around here, is as busy as we are. People are hungry for good craftsmanship and are willing to pay for it.

Buddy of mine got a bid early in the summer for concrete work. His wife felt it was a little more than she expected & wanted him to get a couple more bids. He had a hell of a time getting anyone else to even come out & look at it. I told him he should have booked Delmar when he handed him the bid, there's no one better in the area. Now he's gonna have to wait till very late in the season or next spring to get Delmar to get to him.

Delmar has done all of my shop & personal concrete work. I know to call him in Feb & make sure to be ready as soon as the weather breaks to make sure he gets me worked in.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

That’s why I lay it down on the wannabe’s, greenhorns & scab 1 posters on here. We have all got to push for quality with these yaps as their chit work & no respect for the trades only takes money out of our bottom line. Yea we like to give em hell but more depth to these jerks is necessary to maybe, maybe but probably not at have em at least dwell on it for a moment. It was beat into me to have respect for the trades & I think it can’t be expressed enough as I preach it constant even if it falls on deaf ears. If I can get it through to just 1 bimbo it’s well worth my years of screaming
Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 14,114

Nuts here. No way to catch up. Have stopped looking for work unless it is good repeat customers.

My customers are understanding, but I don't like it.

People are spending real money finally. It is nice to pick and choose the work we want.

I know it won't last, but I'll take it while it does.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Deckhead (07-16-2020), Mordekyle (07-15-2020), pinwheel (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

Now that I got my rant on about the scabs yea it’s indeed nuts on my end. Got the barn moved & up & starting a 3500’ ground up build same client. Pow wow red line on Wednesday. Nice to put other gigs when & wherever you want. As always we will take the feast now cause the coin will flip. Makes me think back on sleeping in my van mid 80’s Texas crunch 19% interest. Don’t think this election will move things much as we were booming here before blovid & still are
Old 07-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 9,062

I sold a custom replacement kitchen sink for over 4K and installed it yesterday. Delighted customer. My rates are going up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-15-2020), Big Johnson (07-16-2020), Mordekyle (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
I sold a custom replacement kitchen sink for over 4K and installed it yesterday. Delighted customer. My rates are going up.
Have you been able to keep up with demand so far?
Old 07-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 1,374

Glad you are busy. Charge whatever you can get and hang onto some of that money, because there will be a time in the future when things aren't so rosey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #15
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
Glad you are busy. Charge whatever you can get and hang onto some of that money, because there will be a time in the future when things aren't so rosey.

With things being as crazy as they are, I'm in reducing debt & saving for a rainy day mode. We've got enough cash on hand to go 4 months without work, we're gonna increase that to at least 6 months. 20% of every job is being put away for this reason.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Fishindude (07-17-2020), griz (07-16-2020), m2akita (07-16-2020), Ohio painter (07-16-2020), Robie (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
With things being as crazy as they are, I'm in reducing debt & saving for a rainy day mode. We've got enough cash on hand to go 4 months without work, we're gonna increase that to at least 6 months. 20% of every job is being put away for this reason.
Yup.

We are trying to move up our mortgage payoff date and/or get a second mortgage on something else to invest in something tangible while percentages are so low
cause whats happening cant last but, we look good for a while.

Really good to hear youre so busy. Sad to see I wont get you down here for fishing for a while...
Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 9,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Have you been able to keep up with demand so far?
So far, so good, but I'm a brutal qualifier. I weed 'em out on the phone. My in-home kill ratio has to be over 50%.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 3,058

We are covered up, not taking on any more exterior work for this year, already telling people it will be next year and they seem ok to wait.
A customer recently emailed me asking to be on the schedule for interior work, I made it clear I have no idea how long the wait will be. She replied “no problem.”

Crazy times indeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

I stay as busy as I want to. I'm downhill from here.

Mike.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 1,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Good for you. We did the same thing.
Got 100% debt free and stockpiled enough cash so that we could run the business without ever borrowing. Always kept a big line of credit for emergencies but never used it.

When times get slow (and they will), being debt free and cash flush gives you a whole lot more options for keeping your business together that many won't have.

Advertisement