Crawl Space Ventilation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Crawl Space Ventilation

Old 01-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Trade: CONCRETE
Rewards Points: 4

Crawl Space Ventilation

I have a client who has had her house raised due to flooding issues. The contractor filled in around the slab to prevent water and vermin from gaining access. Now we have moisture vapor coming up into the house. What does the building code say about ventilating crawl spaces.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,268

Re: Crawl Space Ventilation

Kind of an either/or.

Either ventilated with a vent for every 150 sq ft. or totally encapsulated from the soil with a heavy poly barrier with sealed seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,268

Of course this varies somewhat with region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 535

I'm confused. Your trade is "concrete"? Does that mean you're the contractor who filled in around the slab? How else would the client be your client?

As a contractor, particularly in concrete, shouldn't you already be somewhat familiar with the relevant codes?
Old 01-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #5
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 684

Mechanical ventilation, while not optimal, is permissible also, at least out here, need to follow the code.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #6

Trade: CONCRETE
Rewards Points: 4

My question is "what are the code requirements for ventilation under house in a situation like this". The 150 sq.-ft. advice is on track. This is not a structural issue. Raising houses is a little out of the ordinary but I think this would be common in a pier and beam or house set on blocks, both of which are older methods in my area. I am trying to help a widowed friend solve some of her problems and am a little out of my purview. I hope to be able to have the city force the foundation contractor to provide the ventilation, as he should have done in the beginning, or barring that, I am open to suggestions on how to accomplish this myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RBDJR For This Useful Post:
rescraft (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 535

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement