Craigslist Rates For Plumbers & Sparkies - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Craigslist Rates For Plumbers & Sparkies

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Craigslist Rates For Plumbers & Sparkies

Here's your competition!!!!

We do basic electrical and plumbing repairs. Yard work and maintenance. Painting - interior and exterior. Honest and reliable. Reasonable rates: $15/hour for painting, electrical and plumbing repairs. Yard work, cleaning, etc @ $12/hour.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: Craigslist Rates For Plumbers & Sparkies

I have been an electrician now for over 15 years and am skilled in both commercial and residential applications. I am also knowledgeable of the code and will install accordingly.

I have been trained in both the field (hands on) and in the classroom in all aspects of the trade, so you will not be getting a handyman that does electrical work. I am also a certified Electrical Residential Home Inspector. So if you’re looking to get the job done correctly and at a fair price I'm sure I can help you.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magnettica For This Useful Post:
DBCoop (03-16-2010), Static Design (03-17-2010), tcleve4911 (03-16-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

I'm licensed, bonded and insured.

I'm in it for the long haul, not until your check clears the bank.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

There are a lot of unemployed and desperate tradesmen who will work cheap. One unfortunate consequence of a construction boom followed by a construction recession is the number of tradesmen looking for some way to make a living. As in the past, many of these guys try their hand at going it alone, they have nothing to lose. They were working for $15 per hour before and desperately wish they could again.

This recession, at least as far as the construction industry is concerned, is a long way from being finished. Things have not bottomed out yet. The best you can do is convince your customers that there is value in paying you more, value in insurance, value in licensing, value in permits. Unfortunately, many of your customers will decide to go with saving money. Sure, some will get burned with poor quality work, but many of these guys working cheaply are fully qualified tradesmen who can and will do a good job.

About 30 years ago, in a previous construction recession I would tell people that I needed to pay my guys well, they needed the income and deserved the work. Most of the customers went with the cheap guys. They figured we were all equally qualified and maybe they were half right. One said, sure your guys need to job and the income, but obviously this other guy needs the job even more because he's willing to do it for less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
DBCoop (03-16-2010), fourcornerhome (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #5

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

It's not just tradesman, there are so many contractors with no work they are just looking to pay there bills and try and I mean try to make a pay.

Prices for public, private work right now are almost where they were 30 years ago
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
There are a lot of unemployed and desperate tradesmen who will work cheap. One unfortunate consequence of a construction boom followed by a construction recession is the number of tradesmen looking for some way to make a living. As in the past, many of these guys try their hand at going it alone, they have nothing to lose. They were working for $15 per hour before and desperately wish they could again.........
Another sad consequence is the damage they are doing to their trade. They may have been working for $15/hour, but they were getting paid that by their employer. And their employer sure didn't charge $15/hour for their labor, not by a long shot.

Their employer understood how to run a business, and obviously charged considerably more than $15/hour in order to stay in business.

The problem is the out-of-work tradesman thinking that the $15/hour he was getting paid by his previous employer equates to the same $15/hour he's willing to charge. And this translates into customers who are then trained to believe that the previous employer was obviously overcharging, since here's someone who can do the exact same thing for just $15/hour, not what the employer was charging to stay in business.

The damage is done by the tradesmen themselves, lowering the bar by working on the cheap, then moaning and complaining once things pick back up again and they cannot get paid 'what the used to' get because the customers are now convinced the price should be lower now.
Static Design (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,237

It is better than what they were getting paid for by there employer. It is likely under the table which no taxes will be taken out or anything else that came out of ther paycheck.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Here's your competition!!!!

We do basic electrical and plumbing repairs. Yard work and maintenance. Painting - interior and exterior. Honest and reliable. Reasonable rates: $15/hour for painting, electrical and plumbing repairs.
Quote:
Yard work
, cleaning, etc @ $12/hour.

When these persons are doing yard work and use the garden hose does the rate shift into the plumbing category and increase to $15.00 per hr?

Before I give them my Visa and the key to my house, this point must be clarified. Hey, not to be cheap, but 3 bucks is 3 bucks.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 296

Just to let you all know , the cheap bass-turds are not all in the trades, they are in the design fields also.
This is from Orange County Craigs(sh!t)list:

Quote:
Landscape Architecture Draftsperson (Irvine)

Date: 2010-03-16, 10:35AM PDT
Reply to: see below

We are a small but reputable landscape architecture firm in the Irvine area and are presently looking for a consulting draftsperson for landscape architecture work. We are now working on new communities, commercial, retail, homeowner association and some custom residential projects, representing a good variety of design work!

Your involvement would be on a flexible as-needed basis for now, with the potential for employment in the future when market conditions improve. Candidate selection would be based on the following minimum criteria:
1. Experience in landscape architecture work, with a minimum 2 – 5 years doing AutoCAD drafting and design assistance under a landscape architect’s supervision. Work history should include concept design, preliminary design, working drawings and package detailing. Project management experience would be favorable but is not required.
2. AutoCAD v.2008 & better skills and significant experience.
3. Capabilities with other usual MS programs (e.g.: Word, Excel, Photoshop) are minimum. Other popular design program abilities will be considered as a plus.
4. Be a trustworthy, conscientious, a team player that is easy to work with and you follow instructions well.
5. Flexible availability on an as-needed basis primarily during normal office hours, with your services provided as an independent contractor at this time.
6. Understand the importance of providing value with your service in these challenging times.

If you do not meet the above minimum criteria, please do not email or contact us as it only wastes our time and yours.

Project work could begin as early as tomorrow for the right person… which is the person that at a minimum satisfies the above criteria to our satisfaction. As always applies in business, compensation takes into account current economics of the industry. Drafting and related work would be compensated in the $10. - $15. per hour range to start. Understand that we would like to offer more in compensation but clients are not paying like they did in the good times either.

If you are interested in this opportunity to be of service, please email us at [email protected] specifically addressing how you qualify by meeting each the criteria above along with providing your resume, professional references, some example project work and your required hourly compensation in consideration of the above.

We will review your information, and if you qualify, a principal will be in contact to discuss our needs with you very soon. Thank you.

• Compensation: $10 - $15 / hour
  • This is a part-time job.
  • This is a contract job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

God I hate some people. I think that In and Out Burger pays over ten bucks an hour to start.

Andy.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
#1 stunner

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 500

There is no way in hell I'd design for 10 dollars an hour. It would take me 3 life times to pay back my student loans at that rate.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Multicraft
Rewards Points: 25

I can see why some folks would resort to this, so far this YEAR I have worked about 5 days total. It looks like things are starting to pick up some but I was starting to question myself about whether to lower my rates or not. However I have to go by the davis beacon pay scales and meet all of the government paperwork requirements so I cannot take any shortcuts. After enough time with no work and no pay one might lower ones standards just to survive.

I have been in business for myself for 2 years and I have made far less than I used to make working for the man but I am much happier. Thank God for a wife with a good job and lots of patience.

Advertisement

Last edited by alabamafrog; 03-17-2010 at 09:34 AM.