Could This Be The Worst Spring In Years For Home Sales? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Could This Be The Worst Spring In Years For Home Sales?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 256

Could This Be The Worst Spring In Years For Home Sales?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/could-t...les-1520424001

Looks like Texas is going to be getting two more Hillary voters for 2020:

“Rhian Daniel, a 50 year old who works for a medical startup, and his wife have been looking for a home for about four years, both in the Bay Area and further afield. The couple have largely given up for the moment, and are considering eventually moving to a place like Dallas, with lower home prices and property taxes.

Mr. Daniel’s wife, who is a psychotherapist, has student debt that limits the size of the mortgage they can get.”

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 730

Re: Could This Be The Worst Spring In Years For Home Sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/could-t...les-1520424001

Looks like Texas is going to be getting two more Hillary voters for 2020:

“Rhian Daniel, a 50 year old who works for a medical startup, and his wife have been looking for a home for about four years, both in the Bay Area and further afield. The couple have largely given up for the moment, and are considering eventually moving to a place like Dallas, with lower home prices and property taxes.

Mr. Daniel’s wife, who is a psychotherapist, has student debt that limits the size of the mortgage they can get.”
Yep. If we could keep the Californians out it would be a major improvement. I can see why they want to leave but i wish we could pass a law that says they cant vote at state or local level lol

Whats crazy is so many are so dumb they try and change the place they got to to be just like where they are fleeing!

Advertisement

John

Last edited by Jaws; 03-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
fjn (03-07-2018), SmallTownGuy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
The Sheriff

I dont think sales will be as good as last two years here but still very high, atleast in the custom market

John

Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Whats crazy is there are so dumb they try and change the place they got to to be just like where they are fleeing!
That is the truth everywhere. And you just hit on the big one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
fjn (03-07-2018), Jaws (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
That is the truth everywhere. And you just hit on the big one.
We see people from all over the place here, especially in Austin and Lakeway. But even out here. Californians and folks from New Jersey seem to really like rules and laws, you're going to find in rural Texas and probably most of the rural South that we are not fond of rules or laws, maybe that's like that everywhere.

Luckily all the big oil money, the Texas Association of builders, realtors association excetera all Lobby to keep the County's from being regulated, so I don't see that changing anytime soon. Can't say the same thing for the small towns, the locusts will descend and we can only hold out for so long.

It also sucks for real people from New Jersey and California and anywhere else then moved here to get away from that crap that their Compadres are moving down here with them and bringing their foolishness. LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
Old 03-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,112

My home town - well, people have seen the album cover of Seger leaning again's the lamp post. We were just a nothing, nowhere small town, kinda worn down.

Nobody bragged about being from there.

And ya pretty much did what ya wanted - not that anybody would notice.

Now, for Crikey's sakes' the are arguing about putting parking meters in - because all the restuarants that have tken over the old buildings suck up the parking spaces. They even offer a commute bus thing to get people from outlying stores downtown to eat.

And what do those people do? They look to see if they are "being seen" - and tell each other how quaint the village and its people are - and they are the only fricking people in the fickin village!

We had a place called "Oakland County Sprtsman's Club. On a back road off the main drag. Friday Fish Fries - $2.50. Go out back and there was a trap/skeet range for members. No matter where you went - they was skeeters because that road ran through a swamp boggy area. Small race course there for years - 80 years or more. Guys would race those small sports cars on weekends. Official, but not big time.

Then a developer bought some of that swamp land drained it, put in a bunch of homes that flood every year and want the county to bail them out.

And what did these new home owners bitch about? The noise from the skeet range, And the noise from the sports cars racing. So they sued. And won.

So the range was shut down, and the sports cars have to wear mufflers and there are sound monitors staged around the course.

This is why these pariahs are called "NIMBY".

faaaak me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
brickhook (03-12-2018), Jaws (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,752

Yeah,that kind of stuff is crazy. There was a guy I know,owned a 160 acre farm. Was in family since mid 1850,s. He ran a dairy operation. Guy buys some land across the road and down a bit. Puts in a tacky subdivision. Just about the time of last build out HO association complains to county about manure smell. Yeah,it was strong,it was a farm. Bottom line,they made the farmers life so miserable,he eventually sold out. And you guessed it,now there is another real tacky subdivision in its place.

I get it raw land gets built on,but people need to use common sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
brickhook (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:43 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,572

My community has a 3/8 of a mile dirt track carved out right in the foot of the Blue Ridge. Some mega rich retired folks moved down here from somewhere and built a McMansion across the road. Those people have been to every board meeting and have raised so much hell.....

Long story short.....the race track has been closed and up for sale for two years.

If someone buys the track and puts in a good old fashion southern, crack filled, trailer park, the new neighbors will probably be missing the race track....

If people dont like it here, why move here
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post
. Some mega rich retired folks moved down here from somewhere and built a McMansion across the road. Those people have been to every board meeting and have raised so much hell.....
Probably NY, NJ or CT.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by big johnson View Post
probably ny, nj or ct.
.....nj
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 112

Hate to tell you but more are on the way

Advertisement