Contractor In New Area I Cant Get Any Work Help!!!!!!! - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Contractor In New Area I Cant Get Any Work Help!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Contractor In New Area I Cant Get Any Work Help!!!!!!!

Hello Im a General Contractor In a new area I just got my license 2 years ago and the city where i used to live was really small and almost no towns around so I decided to move to the big city (San Jose, Ca). The only problem is that i cant get enough clients to stay busy and i do not know anybody in this area i dont even have 1 friend just me and my gf thats it. I tried everything possible to stay busy. My gf tells me to get another carrer but i love this kind of work i was born to be a contractor i Have a A.S degree in Construction Energy and Managemnt, Ill be EPA certified next week hopefully and I will be green certified by the End of September. I have a genral Liability of 5 milllion and 1 million in my vehicle and warranty for all my work. But I cant get anywork I tried the website. I tried flyers, postcards, newspapers, and nothing seems to work i even have my info on my work truck dosent seem to work. I even tried contacting property managers and that didnt work out. And dont get me wrong my work i do it to the fullest the quality is really good. and i finish my jobs on time i have never finished a job late. I clean up at the end of the day. I make sure my jobsite are safe and i take every single precaution every job ive done the clients have been happy but i need more work to pay the bills what can i do? any ideas? i just ran out of ideas and starting to get stressed out.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,320

Re: Contractor In New Area I Cant Get Any Work Help!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial CRC View Post
I tried everything possible to stay busy.
Keep trying, or give up. Those are your choices, point blank.

Read this forum, just when you think your done, read some more.

If you where born for it, you'll make it. I say thats a bold statement.

Advertisement

Want to contact us? - Call ~ 765.279.8271
The Following User Says Thank You to CCCo. For This Useful Post:
Imperial CRC (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

There are more than 900,000 posts on here. It will be more beneficial for you to read than to hope the job fairy shows up & posts thee magic answer in your thread.

Grab a drink and read an hour or so per night when you can. You might learn a few secrets that will work for you!
Imperial CRC (07-19-2010), jb4211 (07-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 868

You are NOT alone by any means.

You do have a "double whammy" happening though. Slow market almost everywhere and in a new area.

This is a great forum where you will get some insight to what is going on and what is working.

Please do a quick intro in the introduction section and fill out your profile completely.

Spend some time looking through recent posts. Did your business plan include extra funds for marketing in a new area?

Also, next post, please space out your sentences into more paragraphs. The old farts who can help you the most here find anything other than this very hard to read.

There are lots of California posters here who are regulars who might be able to tell you about your specific market conditions.

Welcome to CT.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I tried the website. I tried flyers, postcards, newspapers, and nothing seems to work i even have my info on my work truck dosent seem to work. .
How much actual money have you spent on all that?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #6

so far ive spend about 12,500 on all the advertisement including postage fees but no luck yet. I even send the postacards with 10% off to new homeowners and i havent got not even 1 call from these its crazy
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #7

oh man i should of done a spell check i misspelled alot of words sorry guys.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 868

Quote:
oh man i should of done a spell check i misspelled alot of words sorry guys.

Also, on your website, I would take the testimonial tab down until you have some. It smacks of newbie to the industry to a viewer (and potential client) that might be considering you.

Hope you're thick skinned! It will help you to survive in this business. (and on Contractor Talk)

Last edited by rselectric1; 07-19-2010 at 07:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rselectric1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #9

yeah thanks man i need to get a new guy that could work on my site though cause the one i have i told him like 10 times and all he says is i have to figure out the code. I have to show him the check if not he wont even move finger but ill make sure i get it done. Thanks man
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 390

You have to get to know people, join a volunteer organisation, chamber of commerce, church, or some other interest group. Jobs arn't that plentiful now, but you might try working as an employee for a year or two until you start making some contacts. Working 40 hours also gives you lot of free time. My phone has finally started ringing, but it's from flyers I handed out 8 months ago
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abacab For This Useful Post:
Imperial CRC (07-19-2010), rselectric1 (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,306

you misspelled a few words on your web site as well. Not such a big deal here: 1) no one's hiring you here, 2) I think most either know what you mean, of don't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to jb4211 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Kingstud

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 75

forget advertising, seriously the only clients I got from advertising were clients I didn't want. As mentioned get invloved in the community, join a group of some kind, whatever your hobby is, cycling, gun club, moose, Native sons, etc. Get to know people and volunteer your skills to club functions.
They get to know you, like and trust you. And hopefully you get the chance to demonstrate your trade, remodel the lodge's bathroom or something and they'll publicly thank you at the next meeting.

Think less about spending money to buy ads and more about developing relationships. A relationship isn't do a good job and your gone....

manage your client list, stay in touch with your customers, make sure they're happy, even fix something stupid at no charge just to be a nice guy and ASK FOR REFERRALS! And if you get a referral send them a thank you gift.

yea it requires a commitment on your part.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingstud For This Useful Post:
atrawlings (07-21-2010), Gary1 (07-20-2010), Imperial CRC (07-20-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: ooo

Kingstud and abacab hit it right on the head. Relationship building is an art form....learn it and master it.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike's Plumbing For This Useful Post:
Imperial CRC (07-20-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
so far ive spend about 12,500 on all the advertisement including postage fees but no luck yet. I even send the postacards with 10% off to new homeowners and i havent got not even 1 call from these its crazy
That's a fair amount of money, it should have gotten you some results.

I will PM you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Imperial CRC (07-20-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,862

Hey Jose, I looked at your web site. The enter button reminds me of a **** site. You have some words that don't need to be capitalized. The photos you show to enter the Commercial & Residential sections seem odd. Mainly the Commercial one. I agree with a previous poster to remove the "Testimonial" tab.

Now for the anal stuff. Anything you write or post should be grammatically correct. Space sentences. The letter "I" when referring to yourself should be capitalized. When writing or posting you are not texting. Use spell check, don't always trust it, but it can be a good ally. All this may seem trivial, but as wicked as the economy is and as cut throat as bidding is now days you need every little edge you can get. When you are out and about, especially with company advertising visible, look and act like a professional. No offense intended here but, no saggy pants, backwards or cocked to the side ball cap. When you meet someone look them in the eye and give a solid handshake.

Ok, business help. Join your local Builders Exchange. A great deal of information is available from them. Check with cities & counties for redevelopment jobs. There is often a great deal of residential remodel/repair work to bid financed by the entity. Check with local school districts, counties & cities to see if they have a preferred bidders list for small jobs (these are usually under $15000). Get out and meet people, not at a bar. Play golf, softball, work out what ever.

You are a very new Contractor. What you are experiencing is nothing new. A great deal of success in this business is by the old adage of "It's not what you know, but who you know". Good luck to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Gary1 (07-20-2010), Imperial CRC (07-20-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

May I ask why you chose San Jose? Did you research the market there? Just seems to me that California was hit hardest by the recesion. I am a newer contractor than you, and right now I can't keep up with the work I am getting. Although I didn't just move here, I've built up customers over time.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #17

Well I chose San Jose Ca because its a big city plus you have all this big citys around San Jose, even San Fransico is pretty close. Theres also thousands of buildings and property managers around here. But what ive been discovering is that if you dont have connections here you aint getting no where. I even discovered that some contractors will pay property managers under the table just so they can get the job. And with residential homes well i do have to work on the relationships, i dont know anybody so its going to be tough. For commercial work though property managers wont give you the time of day if there not in your check book. Well thanks to everybody you guys really did give me some good ideas so im going to try them and see where it leads me. Good Luck to everybody.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #18

Thats exactly what i do. I think when i go and advertise i try to look really professional. I made some company polo shirts, i tuck them in, my truck is always clean and really professional, no baggy pants, I where my work boots, Always carry my measuring tape. Dont get me wrong but i try to look my best everytime, the first impression is your selling point. But i mean i dont get not even a call when i send post card and flyers. People dont know how i look or what ethnicity i am but i guess people dont have money to spend here. I just have to built relationships and im going to try my hardest to do so. Thanks to everybody that tried and help me out.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

Hang in there, if you get desperate then advertise time and material on Craigslist. Advertise a low cost per hour and I almost guaranty that you will get calls.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #20
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

Over 12 grand on advertising right out of the gate? Wow you have alot more coin then alot of us around here. Seems like a lot of money for a guy just starting out

Advertisement