Concrete Porch With Room Underneath - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Concrete Porch With Room Underneath

Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Concrete Porch With Room Underneath

Hey guys. I wasn't sure where to put this so I stuck it in the General section. I am currently in the process of having my house built in NC. I am doing some of the work so you know that means I am holding things up. Well I have a front porch that is about 53' x 10' 6". I wanted to use the area below it so I decided it would make a great mechanical/storage room. So I installed I-beams across my 10'6" span and am going to have corregated form deck installed on top.

My concern is that I do not want it to be a rain forrest in there once the concrete is in place and the seasons begin to change. So my plan right now is to fill in the valleys with rigid foam board insullation, then run another layer on top, then pour the concrete. My hope is that this will keep condensation from forming in the room below. There will also be about 3 or 4 HVAC registers in the room.

Is there any other way to prevent condensation from forming in the mech room? I am obviously trying to be cost effective here and every dime counts. So please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bryan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Re: Concrete Porch With Room Underneath

Some ICF companies have a foam deck which is used as the form to hold up the concrete. You are sortof duplicating this. The only thing I can think of is more insulation. Are you putting in 4" or more of polystyrene?

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: superintendent
Rewards Points: 691

Re: Concrete Porch With Room Underneath

I'm not sure if I would go with foam on top of the deck. The deck and concrete create a composite-a system, so to speak. They need to bond together. You might be better off forming and shoring, then attach foam insulation to the bottom of the concrete after the forms are stripped.