Commercial Repair/Insurance Work, New Company Policy... Its Called, Tree-Fiddy - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Commercial Repair/Insurance Work, New Company Policy... Its Called, Tree-Fiddy

Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Commercial Repair/Insurance Work, New Company Policy... Its Called, Tree-Fiddy

I constantly get calls from unknown or so-called Large commercial outfits, insurance companies etc... from other states that want me to quote repair work for them. A few years back, I fell into two of these "quotes" which really just turned to absolutely nothing and not even a return call which was a bit surprising due to the urgancy of these Commercial Repair jobs.
A friend of mine actually did do some of this work and mentioned that its the same as what Property Preservation contractors go through with not getting paid...

I've just ignored this stuff the last 2 years but I've been getting a lot of these recently and had another message today. I called back:

Her: "Yes, we need a full quote for wall and floor repair work for a satellite tower center mechanical room"

Me: "Sure thing Ma'am, As for any kind of Insurance work or Commercial Repair jobs, we charge an Upfront, non-refundable fee of $350.00. I will personally call you when I arrive at the site and will provide a full proposal within 20 hours of my phonecall"

Her: "So it costs $350.00 just for the estimate?"

Me: "Yes ma'am, "tree-fiddy"!!!"

Click...

Last edited by Tech Dawg; 08-13-2012 at 02:55 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (08-14-2012), GRB (08-13-2012), I Mester (08-13-2012), JT Wood (08-13-2012), MAULEMALL (08-14-2012), Sir Mixalot (08-13-2012), world llc (08-13-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,445

Re: Commercial Repair/Insurance Work, New Company Policy... Its Called, Tree-Fiddy

Great idea.
I get these out of state commercial calls all the time.
I think they already know who's going to be awarded the job, they just need a certain number of bids so their buddies bid comes in where it needs to be. Just a big time waster.

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 70,000 Subscribers and over 11,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Chief Reporter of Spam

Re: Commercial Repair/Insurance Work, New Company Policy... Its Called, Tree-Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot
Great idea.
I get these out of state commercial calls all the time.
I think they already know who's going to be awarded the job, they just need a certain number of bids so their buddies bid comes in where it needs to be. Just a big time waster.
Yeah, its definately a racket... I'm thinking if everyone charges this same number, then they'll have to start paying... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

since you know you aren't going to get the job anyhow----------------------------why waste your time beyond saying
"not interested"---click
stephen
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H
since you know you aren't going to get the job anyhow----------------------------why waste your time beyond saying
"not interested"---click
stephen
Someone may be interested in receiving a timely estimate at a premium price
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
"not interested"---click
stephen
I would put a quote together for her for $350.00. That is a fair price for my time spent whether I get the job or not. If we consider ourselves professionals, then we should act like pros. A architect or an engineer I know would want a hell of alot more to look at it and put something in writing for her. Why don't we expect pay for services rendered? This is a service, like an appraisal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimberlineMD For This Useful Post:
ccappaul (08-13-2012), GRB (08-13-2012), Sir Mixalot (08-13-2012), Tech Dawg (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Gonna die a glass guy

Trade: Skylights and Glazing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineMD

I would put a quote together for her for $350.00. That is a fair price for my time spent whether I get the job or not. If we consider ourselves professionals, then we should act like pros. A architect or an engineer I know would want a hell of alot more to look at it and put something in writing for her. Why don't we expect pay for services rendered? This is a service, like an appraisal.
Thank you so very much.... I am glad that at least a few of the people on the planet are thinking that way...

We should be professional , act professional and not be afraid to lose a job because we expect to get paid for what we do.

A free consultation with a lawyer is to see if you have a case not win the battle in court. And if you have a case you still don't get a fixed price only hourly after you pay a retainer and keep a couple thousand ahead of them cause that's only a couple days work.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccappaul

Thank you so very much.... I am glad that at least a few of the people on the planet are thinking that way...

We should be professional , act professional and not be afraid to lose a job because we expect to get paid for what we do.

A free consultation with a lawyer is to see if you have a case not win the battle in court. And if you have a case you still don't get a fixed price only hourly after you pay a retainer and keep a couple thousand ahead of them cause that's only a couple days work.
Yeah, it definately makes sense in my book to let them know that I charge for a situation like that.
Imagine if it was as easy as a doctor. If you think there's something wrong, you go, hand them your card...they sit you in a room for 2 hours then the doctor finally comes to see you for about 6 minutes and then they bill $4,500 to your insurance
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineMD View Post
that's a reasonable way to look at things
however- look down the road
when you have engaged in the SAME conversation 10 times
or 20 times
or 50 times
or 100 times-pitching your $350 price to an out of state caller----WITHOUT it EVER being accepted

then you are going to be at the place I am at
"not interested" click

professional,in my opinion means I have to effectively weed out the things I am not interested in doing-and frankly I am not interested in the extremely remote chance of being paid $350 to write a proposal for a project we aren't going to do anyhow

$350 or not------ it's a more effective use of my time to spend it writing proposals for projects that we might actually be involved in.
BTW- think about this.- how are you going to collect that $350?
before or after they have your proposal.

also-who is the 2012 version of F. Lee Bailey?- call those law offices with your whip lash case------ betcha you get a very quick version of "not interested" click, LOL
Stephen
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H

that's a reasonable way to look at things
however- look down the road
when you have engaged in the SAME conversation 10 times
or 20 times
or 50 times
or 100 times-pitching your $350 price to an out of state caller----WITHOUT it EVER being accepted

then you are going to be at the place I am at
"not interested" click

professional,in my opinion means I have to effectively weed out the things I am not interested in doing-and frankly I am not interested in the extremely remote chance of being paid $350 to write a proposal for a project we aren't going to do anyhow

$350 or not------ it's a more effective use of my time to spend it writing proposals for projects that we might actually be involved in.
BTW- think about this.- how are you going to collect that $350?
before or after they have your proposal.

also-who is the 2012 version of F. Lee Bailey?- call those law offices with your whip lash case------ betcha you get a very quick version of "not interested" click, LOL
Stephen
The problem is... These aren't "big" projects. If you want the big ones, you have to get on the bid list.
What we're talking about is in the thread title and worth telling them something like that. They either say ok or hang up and the calls stop. These companies have absolutely no reason to seek out a "residential" contractor to bid their crap work for the greater good of the guy that already has the job.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Pro

I guess I don't follow your reasoning on this.

sure your time is worth the $350----no argument there

but
you are a residential contractor
you already know you aren't getting the project
you know they aren't going to pay you the $350
I would have just hit "delete" on my answering machine and NEVER returned their call in the first place- because-to me- it would be pointless to engage in that conversation in the first place.

to me- it's like dealing with landlords and real estate agents. experience has taught me that our pricing is well above what investors are going to pay-and realtors just want a quote on paper- they have zero interest in having the project done-----
so eventually I reach the point where now------- if a message is on my machine from a landlord or a realtor------- I am not even going to return their call- I don't OWE them a call either-because it's just going to be a long drawn out conversation about WHY I don't want their business and WHY we are more expensive etc.

Have THAT conversation enough times-and you aren't interested in having it again, LOL.

Best wishes,
stephen
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Chief Reporter of Spam

That's funny.. I just prefer to try and return all calls to be professional. You never know, there's a lot of hacks out there and someday they just may want to pay Tree-Fiddy for my opinion :
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
That's funny.. I just prefer to try and return all calls to be professional. You never know, there's a lot of hacks out there and someday they just may want to pay Tree-Fiddy for my opinion :
I can absolutely appreciate that--and all in all I follow the same practice myself--------- however

there are some calls I have learned not to return-because it's pointless!

like anyone who calls and says"
good morning, this is frank. I need you to call me back at 1-800-123-4567 ext. 357."
being the dimwit that I am- i used to return even THOSE calls--- but even a numbskull like me eventually learns those calls are all from telemarketers trying to get me to switch my long distance carrier..................

I think there is a difference between being professional----and thinking you have to return the call of everyone who dialed your number.

A few weeks ago I got a call from someone who wanted a price on replacing a hot water heater!!!!- c'mon, I am clearly in the slate and tile roof business-replacing a water heater???? I owe that guy a call???, nope, not in my book.

I have had calls asking about WALLPAPERING!!!!!!
I am just not gonna invest a moment of my time explaining why I am not in the wallpaering or water heater business.

Best wishes,
stephen
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 666

Something sounds shady to me.

Why would an insurer, adjuster, restoration manager, whoever call a contractor in another state? Already it is obvious that the quote will be higher as you will have to pay extra costs to get workers comp in their state, extra costs re travel, etc. Not to mention they are calling contractors for jobs that are totally outside of their field (calling a kitchen/bathroom remodeler to repair a satellite tower mechanical room; calling a slate & tile guy to do wallpapering).

I am in agreement with being professional when receiving phone calls from potential customers, even when it quickly becomes obvious that no work will come out of the call. After all, you never know if the same person will truly need your services at a future date.

However, these out-of-state calls smell like some kind of scam or price-fixing. Like Sir Mixalot wrote, the adjuster or restoration project manager may already have a buddy contractor lined up, so is just looking to get 2 alternate quotes that are higher to give the insurance company.

My interest is piqued. I'm going to inquire a bit further on my end into this practice. Can you give me a bit more detail re how these callers identify themselves (do they actually say they represent an insurer name, or is it a restoration management service, (it's not the owner calling, correct)? Did it ever go further than a first phone call, etc. and what happened?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrix
Something sounds shady to me.

Why would an insurer, adjuster, restoration manager, whoever call a contractor in another state? Already it is obvious that the quote will be higher as you will have to pay extra costs to get workers comp in their state, extra costs re travel, etc. Not to mention they are calling contractors for jobs that are totally outside of their field (calling a kitchen/bathroom remodeler to repair a satellite tower mechanical room; calling a slate & tile guy to do wallpapering).

I am in agreement with being professional when receiving phone calls from potential customers, even when it quickly becomes obvious that no work will come out of the call. After all, you never know if the same person will truly need your services at a future date.

However, these out-of-state calls smell like some kind of scam or price-fixing. Like Sir Mixalot wrote, the adjuster or restoration project manager may already have a buddy contractor lined up, so is just looking to get 2 alternate quotes that are higher to give the insurance company.

My interest is piqued. I'm going to inquire a bit further on my end into this practice. Can you give me a bit more detail re how these callers identify themselves (do they actually say they represent an insurer name, or is it a restoration management service, (it's not the owner calling, correct)? Did it ever go further than a first phone call, etc. and what happened?
Like I said, I think its like what PP contractors go through... A ton of quotes, cheap/crap work and then the company tries to stiff em at the end.
The fact that I would require payment before the estimate, call and email while I'm there and guarantee a full proposal within 20 hours just let's them know how responsable I am.
You never know, they might have to resort to that after screwing many people on the front side
It is kind of funny listening to the reaction because its like they think they're talking to a poverty hack contractor that was just waiting for the call
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
I guess I don't follow your reasoning on this.

sure your time is worth the $350----no argument there

but
you are a residential contractor
you already know you aren't getting the project
you know they aren't going to pay you the $350
Best wishes,
stephen
It sends a message to the caller that this service is not free. If everyone in our industry charged a fee for this type of service, we would be looked upon in a different light. Right now our industry has the worst reputation for 'sleaze' and 'crooks'. It suppasses the 'used car salesman' in reproach.

By expecting to be paid for services rendered (and not applogizing for it) I feel that I am elevating my chosen profession to a higher level.

That's just the way I feel about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimberlineMD For This Useful Post:
ccappaul (08-14-2012), Tech Dawg (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Gonna die a glass guy

Trade: Skylights and Glazing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineMD

It sends a message to the caller that this service is not free. If everyone in our industry charged a fee for this type of service, we would be looked upon in a different light. Right now our industry has the worst reputation for 'sleaze' and 'crooks'. It suppasses the 'used car salesman' in reproach.

By expecting to be paid for services rendered (and not applogizing for it) I feel that I am elevating my chosen profession to a higher level.

That's just the way I feel about it.
I think I am going to make it a point to elevate my chosen profession.

Hope it doesn't put me out of business
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

I have done work for many out of state companies like this. Most email a work order with a not to exeed amount. Mostly I am happy with the amount they offer. Sometimes not so much. (read cutting concrete.)

I do agree that not everyone is set up for smaller jobs. I have seriously considered getting out of "handyman" type work and only doing larger jobs. There is a market for these jobs. It's just a matter if you are set up as a business to do the work.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 12,114

"tree-fiddy"

Advertisement