Commercial Bathroom Sink Countertop Supports - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Commercial Bathroom Sink Countertop Supports

Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 348

Commercial Bathroom Sink Countertop Supports

Not really a plumbing or carpentry question per say. But has anyone built a frame of some sort for a commercial bathroom countertop? Or know of a place to order something? We are remodeling a restaurant and the bathrooms were just supposed to paint and new ceilings. Owner decided new stalls, then to tear out the tile on the walls, and on and on and on turned into a full gut. My plumber suggested just 100 dollar wall hung sinks, 2 in each bathroom and the owner agreed. But then after thinking about it more he wants something nicer. He doesn't want to spend the money for granite so he wants a standard laminate counter.

No problem with the countertop but I've never done an ADA support before. The commercial bathrooms I've done we always used wall hung sinks or stone countertops and the stone guys always take care of the support.

I've seen lots of laminate tops in commercial buildings and the supports range from welded metal to custom wood to "stock" wood supports. I've thought about making up a frame out of 2x4s and then a trim board on the front and then either get some heavy duty metal brackets or make up a wood support out of 3/4" ply.

Anyone make something like this before? Or have a source for where to get one?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,898

Re: Commercial Bathroom Sink Countertop Supports

Done at least 50 ..... frames and tops for commercial bathrooms. Generally, a 1x 3" frame to support top. Laminated poplar or edgebanded 2 sided melamine.

Both ends and in between sinks gets a knee bracket. 2 Sided melamine edgebanded, triangle with sharp pionts cut to fit frame. At the wall a 3"+/-" backer-nailer is screwed to the triangle piece. Once again poplar lamianted or 2 sided edgebanded melamine. Cookie cutter chit. Plumbing must be covered with the pvc covers or you need to fab a removable panel to cover.

Attaches after tile is on. Easy peasy
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial bathroom sink countertop supports-sinksupport.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
aquakbd (05-29-2017), KAP (05-28-2017), Rio (05-28-2017), Workingmanvan (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,272

Don't forget the back up.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,442

Whatever you do, make sure you're ADA compliant. That is civil rights, way more important than code.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
Tom M (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
Whatever you do, make sure you're ADA compliant. That is civil rights, way more important than code.
Well that takes all the fun out of learning the hard way, if the OP is not aware.

ADA Compliance is code complaince as mandated by the states via federal government guidelines. Beyond that everyione has the civil god given right to be an arse, not comply and then pay the price.

Civil Rights, you a liberal activist? NO need to go there, It's a matter of respect and decency by me and most people I know.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 348

Thanks for the details Texas.

Yes I'm aware of the ada stuff. I've done my share of commercial bathrooms. Just never done a laminate countertop before so didn't know the best way to make up the support. Usually either wall hung sink or granite tops which I don't have to worry about the supports for. And my plumber always does the wrapping of the pipes to meet ada.

Thanks again.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to platinumLLC For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (05-29-2017)