Pro

Trade: general contracting
Rewards Points: 258

Colorado

this is for colorado contractors

is it possible for an out of state contractor to build a house in colorado
without a colorado license.

does colorado require a license?

i know that only electrical and plumbing are regulated but what about framing inspections and insulation?

thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Colorado

Local countys and citys have thier own licensing. There is no statewide GC license. Where do you want to build?

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

You will have to test but it is easy especially if you already have a GC license, as far as framing nad insualtion you will have inspections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

I'm not from Colorado, but I worked for a guy in NY about 15 years ago that pre-built and and then erected Custom Post and Beam homes in Colorado. He did about 1 a year there, I doubt he was licensed.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General & Roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 516

No licensing in Colorado......

There a particular municipalty licenses depending on the particular city or county your going to build in. Some have what they call a "contractors license"; Some have a test, and those are all "open-book", I believe. Most don't require a test.....The only municipalities I've had to take a test were Denver, Aurora, Colorado Springs, Littleton, Pueblo.....they're all pretty-much just going through the motions.....

It's basically a free-for all here......Although, the inspectors can cause you alot of grief if they want to....They all seem to make up the rules as they go! No uniformity....

I moved here from California in 92' and was absolutely appauled at the wide-spread shoddy workmanship......as well as the antics of the particular bldg. dept. you may be dealing with at any particualr time....It takes some getting used to.....

For instance; The first house I built; There was no inspections for; Foundation/forms, sheathing/shear nailing, insulation, drywall nailing, and I forget what else......it was like, "Kewool"....just build it, eh? Okey-dokey......

On the other hand I've had to deal with some real "power-trip" morons....

I learned to not mess with "Big Bro" in Colorado....("just smile and wave boys").....After be-littling an inspector in front of a developer with IBC/IRC in hand, as well as manuf. specs, he went around the corner called the cops making a false acqusation that I had threatened to kick his butt......I had to go through the whole court thing! Absolutely amazing!

There's my rant on contracting in Colorado......Beautiful place to live....but man-o-man, what a difficult place for a legit outfit.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Pro

the house i hope to get is in pueblo

so it sounds like i just need to take a test for pueblo county is that right?

our test down here in new mexico from what i remember was fairly tough

but up in pueblo fairly easy? is that right TNT

so does my plumber and electriction need to test for pueblo county or for the state

Last edited by go do it; 01-31-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt specialty View Post
No licensing in Colorado......

beautiful place to live....but man-o-man, what a difficult place for a legit outfit.
amen to that, foundout that a bid I gave for a bath remodel mine was to be inspected his was not he is charging 1/3 of my price!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you talking about 1 house? Pull an owner permit. But my experience in Pueblo is that they are light on the paperwork and the BS. They have a private non-profit building dept that contracts to the the city and the county and a few small towns around there. Here is their site. http://www.prbd.com/aboutus.php
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General & Roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 516

go do it;

I would do the owner permit.

Yes, Pueblo has a test, it's open-book...very easy,,,,pretty quick turn around...I think they test at least once a month.

It's a bit wacky here.....There is a state certified test for plumbers, electricians, and HVAC only...... A GC must utililize "certified" ele/plumb/HVAC.... However, the local bldg. dept.'s will typically allow a homeowner to do his own ele, plumb. and HVAC...

You could have your typical subs do the work and just take responsibility for it as you would have performed it yourself.

Pretty goofy....but that's Colo!

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Pro

thanks guys for the info

yea it is just one house

last night i went on the co. state web site and then got directed to the pueblo county site i was pretty suprised at what i found elec and plumbing and now i found out hvac (thanks tnt) can be done by home owner

thanks k2 for the site

so let me get this squared away in my mind or what is left of it

no license for elec, plumb, or hvac required, homeowner can do these trades as long as they pass inspection wow

i think we will have to have the homeowner pull a homeowner's permit
the wife just found out that our workmans comp will be ok with us going up there

but our liability insurance does not like the idea and if we go up there they will MAYBE cancel our policy when they audit us

our agent said that the liability rates are out of control in CO.

hey k2 so how is it working up in pueblo? sounds pretty low key
do the inspectors just go through the motions?

Last edited by go do it; 02-01-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
hey k2 so how is it working up in pueblo? sounds pretty low key
do the inspectors just go through the motions?
It's been 10 years since i've been down there but I found the inspectors very knowledgeable but not interested in making things more complicated than they needed to be. A pleasant change from my own county.

Pueblo has some interesting history and interesting weather. Strong union and very wealthy at one time. Summer temps can be 110 in the day and 55 at night. Using those night temps to cool through the day is one of my research projects.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Pro

sounds interesting k2

i am interested in substainable design also

keep me posted

thanks for the help
Old 02-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by go do it View Post
sounds interesting k2

i am interested in substainable design also

keep me posted

thanks for the help
Huge attics and huge basements with mechanical venting to pull the night temps in and sustain them through the day is what I'm comming up with in these climates. It's been a while since i've been to NM but you may know more about this than I do. ......If you get your project off let us know so we can come down and give you some chit. I really like to garage sale in Pueblo because of the wealth that was there at one time.

Advertisement