Cold Weather Concrete Columns And Blankets - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Cold Weather Concrete Columns And Blankets

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Sticks & Stones

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Cold Weather Concrete Columns And Blankets

I hope my ignorance on this matter is met with appreciation of the fact I need to do something I have never done before and am asking for help. I am a WV Commercial and Residential Contractor but have never had to pour concrete in 30 degrees before so since I have no sub to do this at this time I will be doing it myself with my small crew. We have 28 qty 9' x 16" sonotubes to pour and I realize we need a winter mix and all but my question is how and heck can I wrap these columns since they will have bracing on top and I can't cut the blankets to fit ( they will be rented.) also it will be dipping down to around 10 degrees at night so how long would I need to leave the blankets on before removal?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 85

Re: Cold Weather Concrete Columns And Blankets

I don't pour much these days but can say around here our plants won't fire up if the temps are below 32 degrees. I would think that if you couldn't wrap with the blankets then maybe wrap with batt insulation where needed. Just don't compress it to much

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 14

Maybe you need to tent them with plastic and add heat. Are they close enough together to tent them all together?
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Sticks & Stones

Thanks for your suggestions, the columns will be 10'-0" OC so IF I could tent each row at a time about 40' long I think that might be the best solution as long as the heat would run all night, I just don't know how long a space heater will last before running out of fuel, something to find out. Also does anyone know how long I would need to keep them covered in the temps I mentioned if I could maintain about 55 in the tented area?

Thanks Again.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

If you have a good R/M supplier, you may be able to get concrete for you columns with heated aggregate and warm water (max of 140F), so the concrete comes at summer temperatures. Use Type III (high early cement) and specify 4000 psi minimum. The warmth will kick of the cement reaction to generate heat of hydration. This is far cheaper in the end than a lot of inefficient job heat and tenting.

Your temperatures are not that low and the mass of the concrete will get you more than enough strength in a few days. What is important is the temperature of the concrete and not the air temperature. There is lot down the street from me, where the probably be digging and pouring strip footings for the basement tomorrow on Jan 1 (It was -5F this morning). The clue to the time guess is that they already have a culvert and sand pile for mortar covered with blankets and being heated by a propane burner. They put off excavating as long as possible to prevent freezing, especially if there is a snow cover and do the strip footings and a course or so of block the same day.

Winter is just a state of mind if you shift seasonal gears and plan ahead.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Sticks & Stones

I will check with my supplier tomorrow and see what they think about your suggestions, they are DOH State approved so I am sure they will understand my needs as far as Air and type III mix, my only concern is the time to the job on the truck ( about 35 to 40 Min) that was why I thought it may still need to be protected for a while.
That said, what do you think now?

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremePride View Post
I don't pour much these days but can say around here our plants won't fire up if the temps are below 32 degrees. I would think that if you couldn't wrap with the blankets then maybe wrap with batt insulation where needed. Just don't compress it to much
That is sound advice.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Not sure I'm understanding this, but how much of the 9' of tube is sticking out of the ground, all of it? If so, how are you going to get the concrete into them?? If they're completely in the ground, a bale or two of straw will suffice......
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Sticks & Stones

The Sonotubes will be the columns sitting on 3'x'3'12" reinforced footings with dowel rods to receive the sonotubes at a finished height of 9' vertical. The structure will be built on top of that foundation as it is in the flood plain.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Air entrainment of the concrete is probably necessary (minor cost difference) in your case is not really necessary because of the use and exposure. Around here if it was for flat work, you could not a good supplier to even deliver non-entrained concrete to a job.

Without seeing the site and project, pumping (rental?) place the concrete into the tubes alternating between tubes to bring them up slowly to bring them up and set any embedded steel may be the way to go. That way, you can knock it out in a day.

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.