Client Problems - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Client Problems

Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

Client Problems

hello everyone. A past client calls about her vacant property and says her lvp floor is buckeling. she then says the pipes have frozen(maintenance man found it). We got to 38 below zero last week and if the heat was off could this be a reason for the flooring failure. I installed the flooring in march. there were no problems even up to two weeks ago. slcould it be installation or the extreme cold? thanks for any reply.
warm regards
Ben

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Re: Client Problems

Cold makes vinyl shrink, not expand. Did the pipes burst?

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

pipes were frozen, water is off, no talk of bursts yet but once it warms up and water is turned on im sure there will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Hard to say what's going on without laying eyes on it. The client's definition of "buckling" might not be the same as ours.

I have to admit I've never encountered temps that low, so I don't really know how a standard installation would fare. But the materials certainly aren't designed for that sort of temperature swing.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 14

Ask Client to send pictures of the situation ... Or she already did then please share them here.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,318

I assume lvp is laminated vinyl plank?

If you laid the floor in March and there have no problems, then I would suspect the problem is not with the flooring. As it got colder it should have only shrunk.

As said above, the client's definition of buckling may be different than ours. I have seen several, snap together laminate floors buckle. One was from excessive humidity in the house. The others were from water leaks, causing the floor to swell.

If lvp is vinyl then water shouldn't affect it. Water would affect the sub-floor though.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Pro

Had to post again, after I thought about it for a while.

It possibly got to -38 in the house and she's worried about the flooring? As soon as it warms up in there she will have so many water leaks she will forget about the flooring.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzan4541 View Post
Ask Client to send pictures of the situation ... Or she already did then please share them here.
i will send some as soon as i get some. maybe it will lay back down after it warms up. i havent seen it myself
Old 12-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
I assume lvp is laminated vinyl plank?

If you laid the floor in March and there have no problems, then I would suspect the problem is not with the flooring. As it got colder it should have only shrunk.

As said above, the client's definition of buckling may be different than ours. I have seen several, snap together laminate floors buckle. One was from excessive humidity in the house. The others were from water leaks, causing the floor to swell.

If lvp is vinyl then water shouldn't affect it. Water would affect the sub-floor though.
Luxury vinyle plank. i looked at the warranty info and it said post installation should maintain temps between 140 and 32 degrees in the home. definitly below 32 for extended time to freeze pipes.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Had to post again, after I thought about it for a while.

It possibly got to -38 in the house and she's worried about the flooring? As soon as it warms up in there she will have so many water leaks she will forget about the flooring.
Im sure there are some broken likes. the main has been turned off. the heat has been on for a day. sounds like shes calling me out on installation errors.
hence the post
Old 12-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,922

I could see a floating lvf floor shrinking a lot due to the cold, then expanding and possibly buckling.when it warms some.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #12

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 30

You have a "situation" brewing here. In the beginning of the situation it's a good idea to set your customer straight on your position in this situation which should be clear and consistent. Your liability ends when her inability to control the temperature of the house started. I would back it up with a letter stating the same, so if she goes crazy on you and takes this to a lawyer, she'll have the letter which he'd hopefully read and determine she has no claim. It could save you a trip to court. I've had to do this and it works. Good luck with the "situation".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ProCarpenterRVA For This Useful Post:
asevereid (12-19-2016), Rio (12-19-2016), westrepairs (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,102

where are you that it gets to -38? I had to google the conversion, -38C is close to -36F, so there's no need to squabble over whether we are talking celsius or fahrenheit.

These temperatures bring up an interesting question about contractors informing clients as to the expected performance of materials, which means they need to also know this information.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #14
Pro

Ok. LVP. As soon as I read your reply, I knew what it was. Brain wasn't working I guess. Currently we are working on a commercial project. The customer decided to install snap together vinyl plank. I think that was stuck in my head.

As for the buckling, given the time frame, the glue should have been dry. I assume there would still be some residual moisture in the glue, but it shouldn't have been much. I just say this because I assume it was water based glue.

Going after you for the installation. I feel for you. Hopefully she will come to her senses. Obviously the environment affected the product. Hopefully whoever she consults with will tell her the same thing.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
where are you that it gets to -38? I had to google the conversion, -38C is close to -36F, so there's no need to squabble over whether we are talking celsius or fahrenheit.

These temperatures bring up an interesting question about contractors informing clients as to the expected performance of materials, which means they need to also know this information.
Yeah make sure you tell every client in the future if they let their house get below -36 their flooring will be fvcked.

Advertisement