Check Out These Pics - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Check Out These Pics

Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Check Out These Pics

I need a photographer like this in my area to follow me around and make my jobs pop. The pics look almost 3d. I think my camera needs to but upgraded or something, how the hell does he do it.
http://www.mcmanusphoto.com/photos/Gallery/index.html

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

Re: Check Out These Pics

Those are some good photos for sure. I carry around an 8 megapixel in my truck, which is fine for basic documentation, but want to get a better one for future website pics.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 550

I bought my wife a lens for her Canon, a Festool Kapex would have been cheaper. What do I get stuck with, crappy cell phone pix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

a dSLR and a decent, low aperture lens with a tripod will get you really close to pictures of that quality. My setup right now is still under $1000 and I can take pretty decent pictures. Outside pics are usually not a problem, it's the inside pics. A flash IMO really degrades the shot, thus needing the low aperture lens with natural light.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Pictures like that are made in the hands of skilled craftsman in the same fashion as was the subject matter.

Want great pictures? Hire a great photographer.

Or give birth to one and wait 24 yrs and "ask" him real nice to hang out with dad and snap a few pictures.

Check out these pics-cabinets_006.jpg

Check out these pics-cabinets_007.jpg

Check out these pics-gentile-oven-wall.jpg
Old 03-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
The Brains

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

gus i agree with you to an extent on that.
like the subject matter being photographed require the proper tools to build, so too does the photographer require the proper tools to photograph. your are correct in saying that it takes years to become a master photographer however with a dslr like framerman mentioned and a weekend class that will teach you how to setup your camera for the pictures you are looking for, you can get a very good picture close to if not equal to what has been posted above. any one in North Jersey looking for a class. A place on 46 in fairfield called unique photo. offer many different classes and have cameras for every use you could want from throw aways 2 14 thousand dollar lenses.

uniquephoto.com
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,882

To take images like these, you'll need to drop some money on a super-wide angle lens. Focal length will depend on the sensor size of your camera. But I'll bet the images shown and linked to here were taken with lenses in the 8-20mm range.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,352

Find a photographer and befriend him.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,882

Go to a professional photographer's forum and post "Hey, I'm not a professional photographer, but I just got a Tamaychi point-and-shoot 1.2mp camera on ebay and I was wondering............."
BuiltByMAC (03-27-2010), JKBARR127 (03-27-2010), Meetre (03-31-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Fisherman

Trade: Kitchen and Bath remodels
Rewards Points: 75

The pictures on that site use a technique called HDR. A minimum of 3 shots are taken at different exposure levels. They are then blended together to take advantage of the best of each exposure.

Google HDR, you will be amazed.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

I just need better lighting.

Can't get enough of that coffered ceiling. Love it!!! But I can't see the target in the photo.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #12

Trade: Irrigation Contractor, Backflow Assembly Tester
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSConstruction View Post
I need a photographer like this in my area to follow me around and make my jobs pop. The pics look almost 3d. I think my camera needs to but upgraded or something, how the hell does he do it.

Time, money, the proper tools, and lots of talent!

Yeah, your camera needs to be upgraded. That’s all there is to it. That’s like saying that all that I need to be a high quality professional contractor, is to upgrade my compound mitre saw. You guy’s are a riot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
a dSLR and a decent, low aperture lens with a tripod will get you really close to pictures of that quality.

Yeah, that would get you close! That and a large format camera, multiple commercial grade lights, strobes, reflectors, stands for everything, a light meter (and knowing how too use it effectively) as well as ten to twenty years of schooling, apprenticeship, and knowledge and experience to set up properly - to get the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBARR127 View Post
gus i agree with you to an extent on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBARR127 View Post
like the subject matter being photographed require the proper tools to build, so too does the photographer require the proper tools to photograph. your are correct in saying that it takes years to become a master photographer however with a dslr like framerman mentioned and a weekend class that will teach you how to setup your camera for the pictures you are looking for, you can get a very good picture close to if not equal to what has been posted above. any one in North Jersey looking for a class. A place on 46 in fairfield called unique photo. offer many different classes and have cameras for every use you could want from throw aways 2 14 thousand dollar lenses.

Gus is the only one of you guys that has a clue. You all spend time trying to figure out how hacks keep getting jobs, and how HO’s keep hiring them to do a job that only a professional contractor should be doing. This is exactly how it happens.

This thread sounds like one from a DIY forum. This thread and most of this advice sounds like a bunch of DIY hacks helping out other DIY hacks do a hack job. Gus is the only one that realizes that you can’t just pick up a camera and get a stunning shot because you know what you want to photograph, or get “a dslr like framerman mentioned and a weekend class.”

Do they also have a weekend class in advanced electrical, or how about a weekend class in framing techniques? I want to start building homes for a living. Construction looks easy, and I do have a hammer….maybe I just have to up-grade it!

This is a funny thread! Thanks for a laugh guys!!

Mick
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post

Gus is the only one of you guys that has a clue. You all spend time trying to figure out how hacks keep getting jobs, and how HO’s keep hiring them to do a job that only a professional contractor should be doing. This is exactly how it happens.

This thread sounds like one from a DIY forum. This thread and most of this advice sounds like a bunch of DIY hacks helping out other DIY hacks do a hack job. Gus is the only one that realizes that you can’t just pick up a camera and get a stunning shot because you know what you want to photograph, or get “a dslr like framerman mentioned and a weekend class.”

Do they also have a weekend class in advanced electrical, or how about a weekend class in framing techniques? I want to start building homes for a living. Construction looks easy, and I do have a hammer….maybe I just have to up-grade it!

Mick

Wow, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed? There was scarcasm in my "need to upgrade my camera" comment. It is obvious that even with the most expensive hi-tech equipment you still need an education to use it to its fullest potential. For me, I point and shoot, if I want it done any better than that I pick up the phone and call the pro.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I joined a couple of camera clubs many years ago---
That is a good way to learn some of the techniques to improve your shots.

I took some photo lessons from instructors I found through the clubs.

Also took a course at the local J..C. .

Unfortunately, My interest was nature photography, Never interior work.

Now my cameras are outmoded --and I don't have time -----HaHa--Mike--
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Maker of fine kindling

Mick

That sounds a little more extreme than I was saying.

Movie quote;

"Take it easy there Francis"

Name that movie...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
carpenter

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

The movie is Stripes, and I beleive the line is "Lighten up Francis."

What the hell does an irrigation contractor know about interior photography anyways?

Let's be honest, photography is not rocket science. With the right tools and a little know how anyone can get professional looking pictures.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #17

Trade: Irrigation Contractor, Backflow Assembly Tester
Rewards Points: 10

Sorry guys! That's one of the big problem with actual 'text only' communication. You can't *hear* the sarcasm in our voices. But then again, you didn't pick up mine either. I tried, but they only let me use 10 smilies in the post.

Maybe I was also a little more sensitive, because in a past lifetime I apprenticed with a commercial photographer for five years. I did get to use the 'proper' equipment and did learn from one of the best. I think that the comment about taking a "weekend class" might have pushed me a little over the edge.

So yes kupon, I do know a little about what is behind quality photography.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Mick
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
DavidC

Rewards Points: 2,006

Good photography is as much art as it is science. Top of the line equipment in the hands of an amateur photographer may get ok results. Put the same equipment (or lessor for that matter) in the hands of a pro if you want art.

Good Luck
Dave
mikeswoods (04-01-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Maker of fine kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuponoconstr View Post
The movie is Stripes, and I beleive the line is "Lighten up Francis."
I stand corrected.

That is a funny scene though
Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
Time, money, the proper tools, and lots of talent!

Yeah, your camera needs to be upgraded. That’s all there is to it. That’s like saying that all that I need to be a high quality professional contractor, is to upgrade my compound mitre saw. You guy’s are a riot!!

Yeah, that would get you close! That and a large format camera, multiple commercial grade lights, strobes, reflectors, stands for everything, a light meter (and knowing how too use it effectively) as well as ten to twenty years of schooling, apprenticeship, and knowledge and experience to set up properly - to get the shot.

Mick
hey, there is nothing wrong with people trying. not everyone one of us can hire a PROFESSIonal photagrapher for all of our jobs we finish, it's hard enough to even get jobs these days. A good DSLR will get you decent enough shots to show potential clients.

no one is acting like we can all be professsional photographers but it can't hurt to have some pictures rather than nothing.

i'll admit i'm horrible at keeping track of before/after photos for a job. i'm usually happy to just be finished and paid and move on to the next job.

I can't afford to buy a DSLR right now so my 7.1 mp camera has to do the job even if it's not like the ones post in the first post.

don't put people down for trying to help. in this economy, most people don't have thousands layer around for a professional to come in and setup lighting, and use 20k cameras to put pics up on our websites. if you are publishing for a magazine that is a different story.

i have shown pics i have taken with my normal digital camera to potential clients and it gives them ideas for some of their projects. are they perfect shots? no but it's better than zero taken.

Advertisement