Cellose As Fire Block For Exterior When Close To Neighbors? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Cellose As Fire Block For Exterior When Close To Neighbors?

Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Cellose As Fire Block For Exterior When Close To Neighbors?

I'm remodeling a house that is less than five feet from the neighbors and need to have a fire block. I was going to put 5/8 inch drywall on the exterior underneath 1" foil faced foam, but I'm wondering if blown cellulose would meet the code. I have in the past had inspectors say I could use cellulose for a fireblock at the top penatrations (such as in a basement).

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 832

Re: Cellose As Fire Block For Exterior When Close To Neighbors?

everywhere is different, when doing a project in town or in a high fire zone we have to install 5/8 ext. grade (brown paper) drywall on the outside walls, interior walls have to have type x 5/8

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,006

It's possible I'm just unaware of the code requirements with buildings that tight. But, gypsum board on an exterior seems like a problem waiting to happen. Is this fire block to protect the building from the neighbors "fire"? How about stucco on the exterior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #4
Pro

Well, from reading the first reply, I guess there is an exterior type drywall, I wasn't aware of this. I suppose I could put cement board up as well, maybe even 1/4", but I would have to check on that.

Yes, it is to protect us if the neighbors have a fire.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 832

cement board like dura rock is not considered fire proof

another option is to use is densglass but that stuff blows hard

I think the mix up is you are allowed to use fiberglass insulation as fireblocking on interior walls, from floor to floor fire stops, instead of actually installing 2x blocking

just sheeted a building with 5/8 ext grade drywall for the same reason the op had, a building could be built next door five feet or less from this one, they come and inspect, does not have to be mudded or taped, used gold deck screws to attach, had to drywall the soffit also and the roll blocking between rafters
The Following User Says Thank You to fast fred For This Useful Post:
abacab (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

Also, use unvented soffit material on that side of the building.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
Pro

I have a question on fire separation distance. Is the outside drywall required if less than 5' from the property line, or only if neighbors house is less than 5' from the property line? On one side the neighbor is less than 5' (our houses are only 3' apart, but only on one corner) On the other side of the house, we are within 5' of the property line, but the neighbors are more than 5' away. There is a 5' minimum setback on each side, but we are grandfathered in, the neighbors can never build within 5' of us because of the setback rule)

Advertisement