Can Someone Help Me With This Old Level? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Can Someone Help Me With This Old Level?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16
Question

Can Someone Help Me With This Old Level?

Long time viewer, first time poster....

I found this old level yesterday and I was wanting to restore it, some of the dials are missing and all of the brass have been NAILED in.

Has anyone restored an old level like this? I took a picture next to one of my own to show it is the same make. Can I call the manufacture for help? I checked their web-site and they dont have any data or replacement product for this level.

What is the best way to remove the dials?

Thanks,

Taylor

Last edited by Currahee; 03-10-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Old Level?

Try giving this guy a call:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stanleylevels.htm

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Hey Griz, is this a DIY project or something that has to be sent to company or a place like the link you give me, to replace?

In the past if I break a dial I would toss it and buy a new level so I have never had the opportunity to rebuild one. Is this something that is done fairly easy for us mechanically/skilled minded people (in another way of saying, would I need to buy any special tools to do it?)

Thank you Griz and I and happy to enjoy your forum board

Taylor
Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Those two levels do not look like they are "exactly " the same. The older one is refered too as brass edged,the newer one is brass bound. In my opinion,the brass edged levels are superior to the bound ones.

If the vials are not broken,just the glass lens,and the level reads correctly,just sand it down,buy replacement lens (my local hardware carries them) do not varnish it ,give it a few coats of raw,not boiled linseed oil,polish the brass edging,call it a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

start with muriatic acid to clean the vials... it will take any masonry schwagg off with ease. then just hand sand the wood and oil... and use an SOS pad for the brass... you know how to check if the vials are correct??? yes?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Those two levels do not look like they are "exactly " the same. The older one is refered too as brass edged,the newer one is brass bound. In my opinion,the brass edged levels are superior to the bound ones.

If the vials are not broken,just the glass lens,and the level reads correctly,just sand it down,buy replacement lens (my local hardware carries them) do not varnish it ,give it a few coats of raw,not boiled linseed oil,polish the brass edging,call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkers5150 View Post
start with muriatic acid to clean the vials... it will take any masonry schwagg off with ease. then just hand sand the wood and oil... and use an SOS pad for the brass... you know how to check if the vials are correct??? yes?
Thanks for the great advice guys. Yes I knew the levels weren't identical but I thought that was a change in design...didn't know they made different "versions"...thanks for that info!

I have checked the level for plumb and it is dead on. Also none of the bubble vials are broken it is the glass lenses that is broke out of 2 panes.

So you are saying that I can order replacement lenses to go in there? Also, how to get them out and what to put back in after I get them installed? I know I wouldn't want to use regular window putty would you?

Thanks

Taylor
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,470

if you have a masonary supply yard (brick/block/tools in the showroom), they may have replacement glass on the floor-not that it would necessarily fit your level but it might.

did you try contacting the manufacturer of the level? I have some old Cricket levels and recall they had a lifetime service...not sure what it covers.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,586

When I was a kid, I remember American levels had a full gaurantee, and dad would send them back and have them redone. The last ones he sent back they charged more to fix than a new one cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
fjn (03-11-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
if you have a masonary supply yard (brick/block/tools in the showroom), they may have replacement glass on the floor-not that it would necessarily fit your level but it might.

did you try contacting the manufacturer of the level? I have some old Cricket levels and recall they had a lifetime service...not sure what it covers.

We dont have one around here. I live so back in the mountains we have to have sunshine trucked in every morning...LOL I live about 4 miles from where they filmed the movie Deliverance, between Toccoa and Clayton.

I havent yet, I found this thing in one of my old barns that I was cleaning out Sat. morning. I checked out their web-site and they said they didn't have replacement parts for it, so I dont know if contacting them is going to get me anywhere...But I will try first thing in the morning. I have to go to Athens tomorrow to bid on a job and I plan on going to Harbin Lumber to see if they have any parts

Thank yall so much for taking the time to reply

Taylor
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post
When I was a kid, I remember American levels had a full gaurantee, and dad would send them back and have them redone. The last ones he sent back they charged more to fix than a new one cost.
Yea Its been a while since I bought one but they aren't real expensive, like $50 bucks I think. I more or less am wanting to do this as a project...I probly have a half-dozen 4-ft levels so its not like I need it.

I found this old plane also I am going to refurbish:

Last edited by Currahee; 03-10-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currahee View Post
We dont have one around here. I live so back in the mountains we have to have sunshine trucked in every morning...LOL I live about 4 miles from where they filmed the movie Deliverance, between Toccoa and Clayton.

I havent yet, I found this thing in one of my old barns that I was cleaning out Sat. morning. I checked out their web-site and they said they didn't have replacement parts for it, so I dont know if contacting them is going to get me anywhere...But I will try first thing in the morning. I have to go to Athens tomorrow to bid on a job and I plan on going to Harbin Lumber to see if they have any parts

Thank yall so much for taking the time to reply

Taylor
Do you ever go over to the dirt track in Toccoa?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post
Do you ever go over to the dirt track in Toccoa?
Oh yea we won a few late-model championships in the 90's over there
The Following User Says Thank You to Currahee For This Useful Post:
brickhook (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I have some old Cricket levels and recall they had a lifetime service...not sure what it covers.
You mean Crick levels?

http://www.cricktool.com/warranty.php
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currahee View Post

So you are saying that I can order replacement lenses to go in there? Also, how to get them out and what to put back in after I get them installed? I know I wouldn't want to use regular window putty would you?

Thanks

Taylor

You can cut the putty out with a good stout,sharp utility knife. As far as the type of glazing putty to replace it with,is a matter of choice. This weekend at local book store Old House Journal mag. Had a good article on re-glazing windows. It can be found on line,although the entire article is not on on line version. The complete version discussed three types of glazing compound. Try this connection it may help.....http://www.smithrestorationsash.com/glazingputty.html
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
brickhook (03-11-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
New Guy

Thumbs up

Recently called Johnson Level, they told after I showed them what I had and showed them my old /new ]ohnson Level's; then they said they would be glad to send me a restoration kit free of charge.

I thought that was very kind of them

Advertisement

Last edited by Currahee; 03-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Currahee For This Useful Post:
App-ironworks (03-20-2013), fjn (03-20-2013), Tom Struble (03-20-2013)