Boy What Will They Find Next - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Boy What Will They Find Next

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Boy What Will They Find Next

I was reading some news pieces and came across this, I mean can this Government of OURS be anymore asleep at the wheel? check this out

The radioactive cheese grater
By Dan Shapley
Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009 8:03am PDT
Related topics: Health, Pollution More from The Daily Green News blog 15
votes
Buzz up!

(Photo: bigoni / Wikimedia Commons)

As if we didn't have enough to worry about with lead, Bisphenol A, phthalates, pesticides and mercury, now, a new investigation finds that many common products are radioactive -- even one cheese grater.

A must-read Scripps News investigation found that radioactive waste is being mixed with other metals in scrap yards and recycling facilities, often overseas, and then shipped into the U.S. in a range of consumer products.

The Daily Green urges readers to check out the whole report, but below are the chief findings:

Imports aren't checked for radioactivity: The U.S. has no regulations specifying how much radioactivity is acceptable, and U.S. agents don't screen cargo containers entering the U.S.

Radioactive materials contaminate U.S. scrap: U.S. metal recyclers and scrap yards aren't required to test or report the presence of radioactive waste, and there is a strong financial incentive for facilities to dump them or mix them in with clean products, since the cost of proper disposal is steep. Facilities in 36 states currently have no option for properly disposing of radioactive waste. A U.S. program designed to collect the most radioactive waste has a "two-year waiting list and a 9,000-item backlog."

The scale of the problem or health risk isn't known: No federal agency is responsible for testing, tracking or reporting the presence of radioactivity in consumer goods or raw materials.

Worse, there's very little consumers can do to protect themselves, according to the report. While exposure to low-level radioactivity is a fact of life, there's a scientific debate about the medical implications for chronic low-level exposure, and there's no telling whether or not some common products are delivering doses high enough to cause acute health issues.

This is a "tip of the iceberg" story we'll have to watch.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Hardhead

Trade: Drywall Hanger
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Boy What Will They Find Next

We live downriver from Peach Bottom....and 3 Mile Island...Limerick....am I missing any? LOL

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
We live downriver from Peach Bottom....and 3 Mile Island...Limerick....am I missing any? LOL
don't forget Susquehana

www.BadcoDoors.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Just for a bit of perspective on that story...

I don't know what the federal regulations, if any, are, but there's a steel mill close to me that processes scrap steel as an adjunct to their normal operations. Every load of scrap that comes in goes through radiation sniffers.

Took a load of construction debris to a "waste transfer station" near here once, and at the scalehouse they wanded my truck. Turns out that they have a permanently mounted sniffer setup on the scales, but it just happened to be on the fritz that day.

So maybe at least domestically, we aren't in quite the dire state of oblivion that article suggests.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Structural Engineer

Trade: Mechanical, Structural
Rewards Points: 500

I heard a story from someone that worked in Port Newark. About 6 years ago a load of silverware was stopped at the dock because it triggered the temporary post 9/11 radioactivity sensors. The theory is the ship salvage industry in India got a hold of some old Soviet era nuke ship carcasses, and the ship steel was irradiated. The steel made it through the whole process of salvage, silverware manufacturing, shipping, and got caught at the dock by equipment looking for dirty bombs. Not sure if I totally buy it, but it sounded plausible.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Hardhead

Trade: Drywall Hanger
Rewards Points: 250

I worked at Peach Bottom for Crinkel&Destroy for about 6 months. I ended up working on the Fuel Floor in a 'semi-hot' area where we only had to put on gloves and bootys to get to our tool trailer...where we sat and waited to log out tools,which never happened.Anyway we were discussing hot zones and how many Rads were required for stayover and get decon'd. The next day one guy snuck a shaker of NO-Salt into the trailer...i dunno HOW he did it because when he ran the scanner over it it maxed out fast and howled like the place was in meltdown. This crap was,and probably still is, sold in STORES to PUT ON YOUR FOOD!!!!

Last edited by Rockhound; 06-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Crash Test Dummy

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
The next day one guy snuck a shaker of NO-Salt into the trailer...i dunno HOW he did it because when he ran the scanner over it it maxed out fast and howled like the place was in meltdown. This crap was,and probably still is, sold in STORES to PUT ON YOUR FOOD!!!!

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/science/radprod.html
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

If you unroll an entire roll of scotch tape, it will emit enough xrays to xray your hand.

Advertisement