BOY It Keeps Getting Better Every Day! - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

BOY It Keeps Getting Better Every Day!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

BOY It Keeps Getting Better Every Day!

Woke up to my hot water heater blowing water all over my basement had about 8" of water must have let go sometime last night
Now I have no hot water and no money to replace the hot water tank just wonderful
Hey could someone stop by and shoot me in the head? Cause I know if I try it I'll miss and blow one of my ears off
Holy cow can it get any worst

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: BOY It Keeps Getting Better Every Day!

Hang in there Frank
Can you call on a plumber /friend and trade some work for a water heater?

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,052

Hey Frank, yep your having a streak of bad luck. I look back on times like your having and probably will have in the future and think of it as being in a rock tumbler. Life just polishes ya up til you look and act like your grandparents.

Just look at it this way Frank, your not in jail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

If you are cash strapped, and need a new water heater now, either go to craigslist, or a Habitat for Humanity store. You should be able to find something for a song. The hot water thing is something that can be readily fixed. Save the bullet for a real problem, hang in there.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

I just can't believe my Luck, but as my Mother use to say "Frank if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any Luck!"
As for putting in a new WH I can do it myself I installed this one 15 years ago 50 gallon cause the 40 was to small, not enough hot water for my kid when he took a shower
Home Cheapo wants almost $400 bucks for a new 50 gallon, Yeah like I'll pull that $400 out of my butt
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Hardhead

Trade: Drywall Hanger
Rewards Points: 250

Frank are we related? The parallels are uncanny I thought I was the only one with THIS much bad luck......maybe its a "per square miles" thing....
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Look on CL. That's where I found mine. Brand new tankless...$300. Not that you need a tankless but the deal might be out there.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 832

keep positive its hard to do but its the best way to keep it together

don't waste your time at home depot, search for that water heater

while your searching you'll meet people and get your name out there

there is a water heater hiding somewhere with your name on it

your problem is finding it

this spring we were down to 3 or 4 minute showers because my water heater was dying. In no way was I going to pay 500 to 600 bucks for new one (I'm cheep ok) The bottom line was I know there are tons of water heaters in my area that get pulled all the time with plenty of life left in them.

So we suck up the short showers I keep searching (call people I haven't talked to in months, call local supply houses get laughed at, but I called right? search the paper and online as a last resort) I finally find a barely used 50 gal gas water heater.

Pay 100 bucks for it another 60 in random parts meet some guy who collects alot of junk, turns out to be a pretty cool guy, check out his house he's been building for five years, (did I say excentric) meet a new friend, give him my card, tell him to call me if he needs a hand. Another part of the networking web.

A side note: the heater is from 2007, second home condo, woman buys the unit in 2008, freaks because the carbon monoxide is going to kill her children, my new friend takes out the gas and replaces it with an electric one, he stores it in his garage for two years and then sells it to me. Now I take twenty minute long showers after work.

So buddy!!!! go out there and find your water heater. it's there waiting for you. While your looking hand your card to everyone you talk to, wander around goto the supply houses, walk into some plumbers offices, tell them you do repair work, ya never know, they may need a drywall repair guy and on top of it have some hot water heater wasting space out back, don't waste your time at some big box.

as my uncle says keep your chin up
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred View Post
keep positive its hard to do but its the best way to keep it together

don't waste your time at home depot, search for that water heater

while your searching you'll meet people and get your name out there

there is a water heater hiding somewhere with your name on it

your problem is finding it

this spring we were down to 3 or 4 minute showers because my water heater was dying. In no way was I going to pay 500 to 600 bucks for new one (I'm cheep ok) The bottom line was I know there are tons of water heaters in my area that get pulled all the time with plenty of life left in them.

So we suck up the short showers I keep searching (call people I haven't talked to in months, call local supply houses get laughed at, but I called right? search the paper and online as a last resort) I finally find a barely used 50 gal gas water heater.

Pay 100 bucks for it another 60 in random parts meet some guy who collects alot of junk, turns out to be a pretty cool guy, check out his house he's been building for five years, (did I say excentric) meet a new friend, give him my card, tell him to call me if he needs a hand. Another part of the networking web.

A side note: the heater is from 2007, second home condo, woman buys the unit in 2008, freaks because the carbon monoxide is going to kill her children, my new friend takes out the gas and replaces it with an electric one, he stores it in his garage for two years and then sells it to me. Now I take twenty minute long showers after work.

So buddy!!!! go out there and find your water heater. it's there waiting for you. While your looking hand your card to everyone you talk to, wander around goto the supply houses, walk into some plumbers offices, tell them you do repair work, ya never know, they may need a drywall repair guy and on top of it have some hot water heater wasting space out back, don't waste your time at some big box.

as my uncle says keep your chin up
That should be in the new Chicken Soup for the Contractor Soul book.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Raawwwrrrr

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,394

hot water is overrated.

hang in there
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Sawdust Sweeper

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 42

The same thing happened to my parents when I was a kid, we had just moved to WY from WA and all our stuff was in boxes on the floor in the basement- alot of stuff got wrecked...No fun...

Hope you find a deal on a hot water heater- I feel your pain, I had a real doozy of a winter this last year...
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

Frank,

Get over this "wallow in my sorrow" type of mentality. Pull yourself up. Be optimistic about everything in your life. Look at the positive of any situation and positivity will follow you. You are a skilled guy. Make it happen.

BTW, Hot water is just for showers and baths anyway. Good Luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darwin For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (08-08-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Frank: Chuck it up and move on man! Life to short to dwell on the negative. These things are part of life, move past them and enjoy the good times/family/friends.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Look at the bright side, you didn't lose a waterheater, you gained an indoor swimming pool! YAY!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #15

Trade: interior remodeling and trim
Rewards Points: 75

at least it's summer =)

and this reminds me...i've GOT to replace mine soon. also went thru a similar experience as a kid. we didn't have a sump pump and our below grade basement had approx 2 feet of water in it. fire dept came and pumped it out. lost a freezer with half a cow and frozen blueberries from MA. my bro's speakers were floating.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 524

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
New Guy

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 10

Same thing happen to a friend but a washer , i told him to drive around and look for a renovation going on or ask a LOEWS driver they remove these things all day, 2-days later he had one and no kidding still washing 6-months later
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I suggest that you call Goodwill--they are well known for helping pay for emergencys like this when the water is cold and the wallet is empty..

They helped a neighbor through a nasty bad spell--Nice caring folks--Frank,Give them a call.--Mike--

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
neolitic (08-08-2010)