Bonus At The End Of A Job - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Bonus At The End Of A Job

Old 06-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Bonus At The End Of A Job

I Am trying to rework my payment platform to add some incentive to finish jobs ahead of schedule. I am thinking that on top of the hourly rate I would pay the guys a day rate as an extra for every day we finish ahead of schedule.
Is anyone else doing this sort of thing and if so what do you think of it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Bonus At The End Of A Job

i have never seen an incentive system work long term,not saying it can't just i have never seen it

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

I worked for a new home builder years ago. They paid all employees a % of profits. They of course never divulged how much their profits were, but the bonuses ranged from $5,000 to $15,000, per year.

Believe me, it had an effect on production on the job site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
chris klee (06-29-2012), darr1 (07-04-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

just make sure you keep some sort of incentive in there to keep quality high. don't want to sacrifice quality for speed. call backs will kill you.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
darr1 (07-04-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

The most effective incentive system is positive and random. The rats push the button but they never know when the cheese will come out of the hole. They will push the button constantly! Same principle applies to humans.

I give random bonuses when the crew make me money and produce good work.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

I've seen guys who worked on % hack jobs up to get them done. Some, took their time and got it done right.

The main thing is to have guys working for you that will work hard/fast and do it right. You have to treat those guys right and pay them what they're worth. Otherwise, even some of those guys can falter.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 75

or just think out of the box, and pay a good honest rate, to good honest employees, they will give 100% everyday.
If you think the crew is slacking go in monday morning, gather them all together and fire lead man. Make the next one lead man, and tell him why you fired the other.
If your men arent giving you 100% its your fault.
You have failed them, by not having them understand your expectations. Once you have done that, if they fail to reach your expectations, then they need removed from your employment.
If there is an incentive to complete job faster, what gets skipped?
If nothing is skipped, then why did you have it scheduled so long?
If they do a job 3 times ahead of schedule you will then shorten the schedule, knowing how long it takes. UHH.....end of bonus

Remember when you worked for someone else? When you want to know how to boost production and moral, just take yourself back to that place. Production and moral are tied together, no way around it.
No bonus system in the world that I have known of has ever lasted the test of time. when the bonus starts adding up it is cut one way or the other.
The best way is just paying people what they are worth, they feel good, you cant buy love, but you can buy loyalty.lol
Shouldnt beat your dogs everyday, and expect them to wag thier tails every blue moon when you throw them a bone.

The bottom line is still the same.
If you think they can be more productive than they are being, Its your fault Period.
Give them the tools to be faster, raise moral and they will give you a honest days work. Bonus spontaniously, randomly, and from top to bottom, with more on the bottom. Not for that jobs work, but for the appriciation of team effort as a whole.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

Trade: Janitorial Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott78 View Post
I Am trying to rework my payment platform to add some incentive to finish jobs ahead of schedule. I am thinking that on top of the hourly rate I would pay the guys a day rate as an extra for every day we finish ahead of schedule.
I think it can be a little dangerous to reward people for working faster, unless you have a check point system for example, because you may work faster, but will your workers cut corners? Then you'd lose but have a perceived win. So I'd set it up accordingly so that quality isn't sacrificed. OR, just set it up so that if they do "x" number of jobs to high standard inspection, then give them a cut of a long term bonus. Overall, seems like having an accountability checkpoint system would be a good answer to speeding up production.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

for the last few years I have been paying a bonus twice a year.

one in the summer around july 4 and one at the end of our season around Thanksgiving . additionally I split the scrap metal salvage metal with the employees-which in our business can be a nice chunk of money.- Last summer one of our guys got over $1,000 from salvage on one project alone.

On an annual basis the bonuses work out to1/4 to 1/3 of the employees annual pay--- in addition to their wages which are quite a bit more than they would earn in other employment and they also get medical benefits.

the bonuses are tied to our profit levels and not to how fast something is accomplished. our profit is determined more by how WELL we do something or how difficult the project is and not so much by how fast we churn them out.

stephen
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (06-29-2012), hdavis (06-30-2012), J F (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 153

Quote:
Depends how you structure it but incentive plans generally work across the board.

I've seen unenthusiastic employees turn into employees of the month for certain incentives.

It just really depends how you structure it. The best way to do it is percentage based because that way you are still coming out on top.

Best of luck brotha.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Sounds to me like the scheduling and estimating may need to be adjusted.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley

Sounds to me like the scheduling and estimating may need to be adjusted.
Nothing wrong with the scheduling & estimating. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my timelines!
I have a couple of guys that start to stall out once there on the same site for a while. Once I give a good motivational speech there good for the rest of the day but slide right into a slump the next day!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,394

In my eyes if a person requires a bonus to work well he needs to find another job. They should be working @ 100% bonus or no bonus. If not thats as bad as working slower because you think your worth more.

Like someone said reward them but don't let them know these rewards/bonuses are coming. They will appreciate it more and you will know which guys are worth keeping and which are only in it for a pay check each week.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the scheduling & estimating. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my timelines!
I have a couple of guys that start to stall out once there on the same site for a while. Once I give a good motivational speech there good for the rest of the day but slide right into a slump the next day!
Except for the fact they aren't being met, either you have to account for that or get different guys.

Sometimes the job will take as much time as you give them.

I think bonuses tied to gross profit would do more to educate your employees as to why getting the job done in a timely matter, matters.
Giving them an understanding and stake of where the money goes will help motivate them.

The Following User Says Thank You to bconley For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-28-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 5,150

I always liked hukipau Fridays The boss would meet us there in the morning and tell us what he wanted done that Friday. Pay us for last week and leave We fly like humming birds on something, get it all done by 12:30 or 1:00 and Hukipau Paid for 8
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,122

Quote:
Once you start something like this....................And then you stop doing it at some point down the road, It gets ugly.

I would work the % of profit route. When you're doing good you should throw them a bone. And when things suck you throw them a treat.
hdavis (06-30-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
I always liked hukipau Fridays The boss would meet us there in the morning and tell us what he wanted done that Friday. Pay us for last week and leave We fly like humming birds on something, get it all done by 12:30 or 1:00 and Hukipau Paid for 8
Hukipau????
Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #18
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Hukilau?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 5,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithWood View Post
Yea I know, I Google it too and found nothing But it's called hukipau.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Electrical Apprentice and Data Technician.
Rewards Points: 1,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy
Yea I know, I Google it too and found nothing But it's called hukipau.
Thats POETS day, Piss Off Early Tommorows Saturday, haha.

Advertisement