Big Box Store Love & Hate - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Big Box Store Love & Hate

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Big Box Store Love & Hate

So, I've seen plenty of grumbles about the big box - but lately I've been getting a lot better materials & service (From Home Despot) than I find at my local lumber company. Also finding good material (Zip Roofing) at a significant discount from what the same local yard was going to charge me (@ $6.00 per board at Looowes).

In fact, I've been so pleased with the improved service & quality, I was about to defend the big boxes... until I checked the receipt from a recent purchase against what Loowes actually charged my card.

Lowes supposedly gave me a 10% veterans discount on a $794 purchase - and the receipt itemizes my savings; showing I only paid $715. Except that the charge to the CC was for the FULL amount. No discount.

Not that they owe me a discount or anything - but if they're gonna say - hey, here's a discount - PSYCH!

... not so cool.

I'm now $80 less happy with Loowes than I was.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Big Box Store Love & Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer5 View Post
So, I've seen plenty of grumbles about the big box - but lately I've been getting a lot better materials & service (From Home Despot) than I find at my local lumber company. Also finding good material (Zip Roofing) at a significant discount from what the same local yard was going to charge me (@ $6.00 per board at Looowes).

In fact, I've been so pleased with the improved service & quality, I was about to defend the big boxes... until I checked the receipt from a recent purchase against what Loowes actually charged my card.

Lowes supposedly gave me a 10% veterans discount on a $794 purchase - and the receipt itemizes my savings; showing I only paid $715. Except that the charge to the CC was for the FULL amount. No discount.

Not that they owe me a discount or anything - but if they're gonna say - hey, here's a discount - PSYCH!

... not so cool.

I'm now $80 less happy with Loowes than I was.

They have done that to me maybe 15+ times with so called discounts. They have also charged me for things I didn't buy also quite a few times. You got to watch them idiots at checkout.

Only a few days ago I bought some joist hangers and it's always this same fat idiot of a woman on checkout. She never gets off her seat so you have to lift everything up high enough for her to scan and she don't trust you with anything you say you got. I said I had 30 hangers so she counts them all and she also counted everything else I bought and then tells me how many there are. So I reply with that's what I said! But she still always manages to over charge me for stuff. You have to go through them receipts in detail. Also it can take hours to get a refund depending on how much you bought. They have to type in buy hand every product you bought and adjust the price of each product if it was wrong none of this scan and done **** with lowes.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

The reason they count is that there is a camera focused on each cashier. they have to or risk getting fired. If you can't understand that.........

As far as being overcharge on the CC, never had that happen but I find HD service in these matters better than Lowes anyways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
The reason they count is that there is a camera focused on each cashier. they have to or risk getting fired. If you can't understand that.........

As far as being overcharge on the CC, never had that happen but I find HD service in these matters better than Lowes anyways...
Well guess the cams don't work then because she's the only one who counts the stuff. Everyone else just asks how many.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I had Lowes dothis to me recently the bill they sent me reflected one amount, but when I went to pay their system said I owed almost 80 dollars more. I hate em anyway I only use them or HD on a very limited basis, and only when it is a bare necessity. I never buy any lumber period from a big box, 90 percent of it is bent more than my willy.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

I bet I have spent less than a grand in Blowes and about the same at Home Crepo. Every time I need some thing from there it is one tube of caulk or a pepsi. I just don't care for the service there.

As a home owner I go there to buy rakes and lawn mowers christmas lights etc.

Cole
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Property Preservation & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53

I've been there a bunch and the chick never counts anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbobbish734 For This Useful Post:
Gary H (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobbish734 View Post
I've been there a bunch and the chick never counts anything.
I see a lot more counting done in some stores than others. If you look at the typical clientele in that area, it's pretty obvious why.

Of course, it also depends to some extent on the cashier's personality--and how the customer comes across.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Every home depot i go to theres never anyone to check you out gotta do the self checkout which rarely ever works for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624
Every home depot i go to theres never anyone to check you out gotta do the self checkout which rarely ever works for me.
My area must be the exception. The box stores are for the most part very well staffed and managed. Its like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. When I go to the box stores they usually have my order ready at the front but if its a surprise trip then I find all the people standing around and put them to work on my shopping list. Dont forget those people work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contracting / Commercial Carpenter
Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
My area must be the exception. The box stores are for the most part very well staffed and managed. Its like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. When I go to the box stores they usually have my order ready at the front but if its a surprise trip then I find all the people standing around and put them to work on my shopping list. Don't forget those people work for you.
I have a HD about 5 minutes from my house, so generally I'm in there every day getting this or that. They are ALWAYS sufficiently staffed and willing to help if you need it. It's not a huge HD so the selection isn't always that great, but the staff is friendly.

The only problem I've had with box stores and coupons has been a few times I present them a 10% off coupon for the whole order and it only gets taken off 1 item. The few times its happened its only been a small amount and not really worth the time and hassle of going to the customer service desk and getting it fixed.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: lawn maintenance
Rewards Points: 250

I love big box stores. you know, the ones located somewhere in internet land.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Pro

I don't go in HD to often as they seem to be stuck up idiots who work their because it's in a posh part of my area but they have people who have little machines you can pay with after you find your stuff. No need to cue then. Great for small things like a bottle of glue or something as your in and out very quick.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,280

They have their place. We have a Lowes about 20 min away and a Menards 2 min away. We dont use either for a lot. we buy nails, some tools, and items we need quick. Hardly any lumber. We spend the most in the stores when we are doing remodeling projects. When we are building new homes it could be months before I go into one. The one positive about the Menards is they do actually have an ok contractors desk and they do stock some good building products. Our store has decent people working and most can at least help you find what your looking for. When my partner and I go in we split up to get out of there faster.

We still use a local yard for all major lumber purchases and windows. Then we use a couple building supply houses for plumbing, siding, and roofing products.

Hate them or love them they aren't going anywhere soon.
TNTRenovate (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

we have home depot, kents and rona here. kents just plain blows their prices are typically 20% more than anyone else and the lumber sucks

home depot isnt bad, their tool prices cant be beat but their lumber is about 10% more. im surpised home depot isnt more strict on counting material.. one of the two locations is terrible for not counting. one gc i know saved like $5k one year because the cashiers were ringing in boxes as tile as one unit.. not for the amount of tile per box... basically buy 1 get 9 free

Rona bought out the local lumberyard a couple years ago but keep with the better lumber pricing. 6 locations to boot.. for lumber i go to the yard, for finish materials the actual big box same for certain tools. they give contractor pricing, military discount and a seniors discount plus airmiles... some of the young staff arent authorized to give my contractor discount if im there after the desk has closed.. however they will give me the military discount on fact of my short hair.. or i just bring my old man with me and ill get the seniors discount.. my boss will sometimes bring his old man to get both his discount and the seniors discount stacked
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

I like Menards for one it is a family run business in WI not a faceless corp. They have almost everything under the sun. I can build a house from icf foundation to valspar paint. Plus I can get chocolate milk and hamburger helper for dinner. The down side half of there lumber is questionable, the tools they sell are junk. The plus the contractors desk is pretty dang good and they don't install anything so they aren't my competition. I do buy most lumber at the local lumber yard.

Cole
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 13,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
I like Menards for one it is a family run business in WI not a faceless corp.
I think this is the best reason to shop a store and I don't think it falls under the big box heading. But when I go to the faceless corp. I shop at the HomeDepot in Iwilei, (e-vo-lay) very large and busy store with lots of cute island girls in there
JWilliams (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
I think this is the best reason to shop a store and I don't think it falls under the big box heading. But when I go to the faceless corp. I shop at the HomeDepot in Iwilei, (e-vo-lay) very large and busy store with lots of cute island girls in there
yah gotta love how hd hires the cuties , hte other big box store girls are donkeys
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #19

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I live and work in a smallish community (~40k pop. between two connected towns) we have three good old style lumber yards. Every one of them is better in customer service and pricing than HD. I don't get any contractor discount at HD unless I run it through the "bid room". Too much of a PITA for me when I can get better pricing AND service just by walking into the local stores. Basically, I use the big box for paint sundries and a few other tool items the others don't have.

I have just had several nightmare experiences with their credit services (Citibank). I am cancelling the card now and will be spending much less there in the future...not that it was that much to begin with.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
yah gotta love how hd hires the cuties , hte other big box store girls are donkeys
HD in my area will hire a cute girl but the hogs push her out. They only last about two days and some water buffalo will replace her. Maybe they dont like all the retired GM and Ford retires staring at thier chests and they go work at the mall? Mernards is a little better. They were cute maybe 20 years ago and stayed skinny some how.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (02-19-2012)