Best Line I Used At A Closing - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Best Line I Used At A Closing

Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,662

Best Line I Used At A Closing

As many of you know, I am building out a neighborhood of spec homes....small, affordable plans.....and we have sold 2, and at the closing on the first one, the client having already moved in, he tells me that the hot and cold are backwards in the master shower.

Now he had already told my realtor, and I have already called my plumber....but this is kind of embarrassing...he isn't mad....this and one piece of trim that needs a touch up are the only items he has...and so he is telling me about it, and without a pause, I tell him this is a builder upgrade....I normally charge for having the hot water come on before the cold....easier to get the right water temp....blah, blah, blah.....

He is looking at me like "really?".......and I can't help it, I start laughing and tell him the plumber will meet him when he gets home after closing.

So I am discussing this with my plumber.....and he still won't use the red and blue Pex.....he likes buying the roll of colorless Pex and then he doesn't have any waste.....and I said now correct me if I am wrong.....but since I am buying all the materials, and we have 17 houses to go in this one neighborhood, why not use the red and blue and this won't happen again? He said "good point".

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (Yesterday), CScalf (08-14-2019), Defenestrate (08-18-2019), fjn (08-14-2019), griz (08-14-2019), hdavis (08-14-2019), Jaws (08-14-2019), KAP (08-14-2019), overanalyze (Yesterday), Rio (08-14-2019), SouthonBeach (08-14-2019), TimNJ (08-14-2019), TxElectrician (08-14-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,053

Re: Best Line I Used At A Closing

Moen, by any chance? Maybe the cartridge needed a 180 flip.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (Yesterday), overanalyze (Yesterday)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Pro

Nope, Delta. No cartridge flip. Until this happened, I didn't know some could be reversed in the body of the faucet.

My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (08-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,053

Sometimes you can just take off the handle, turn it 180 while it's still installed, and put the handle back on. No need to turn off the water supply.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 953

I heard a story about a toilet that had hot water connected to it by mistake. First time homeowner thought it was a luxury upgrade - a heated toilet!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichVT For This Useful Post:
CScalf (08-14-2019), Jaws (08-14-2019), Rio (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVT View Post
I heard a story about a toilet that had hot water connected to it by mistake. First time homeowner thought it was a luxury upgrade - a heated toilet!
I did that once.

I had I think 7 jobs going at once, which is kind of busy for a one-man-show, and one of them was a bathroom addition.

When I finished, the owners told me, "You know, there's hot water going to the toilet." I didn't think it was possible, nothing else was crossed.

I checked it out, and sure enough, I somehow managed to tap the hot for the toilet. Haven't a clue how I did that.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,830

I told this plumbing story on another thread. High end jewelry designer thinks she can GC he own house. Plumber runs hot water to first floor powder room. One day,a bunch of subs are doing punch lists,toilet gets many uses. Wax ring melts from all the hot water flushes. Water goes out door into hall,buckles all the clear SYP 1"x 6" flooring.

I told her,at least no one was killed. She said how could that happen ? I said at least you didn't crash and burn like Icarus,flying to close to the sun with your wax wings . She did not appreciate the humor,she was a rigid old bat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
CScalf (08-14-2019), Rio (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
As many of you know, I am building out a neighborhood of spec homes....small, affordable plans.....and we have sold 2, and at the closing on the first one, the client having already moved in, he tells me that the hot and cold are backwards in the master shower.

Now he had already told my realtor, and I have already called my plumber....but this is kind of embarrassing...he isn't mad....this and one piece of trim that needs a touch up are the only items he has...and so he is telling me about it, and without a pause, I tell him this is a builder upgrade....I normally charge for having the hot water come on before the cold....easier to get the right water temp....blah, blah, blah.....

He is looking at me like "really?".......and I can't help it, I start laughing and tell him the plumber will meet him when he gets home after closing.

So I am discussing this with my plumber.....and he still won't use the red and blue Pex.....he likes buying the roll of colorless Pex and then he doesn't have any waste.....and I said now correct me if I am wrong.....but since I am buying all the materials, and we have 17 houses to go in this one neighborhood, why not use the red and blue and this won't happen again? He said "good point".
Don't know the cost of pex but I would imagine the cost to make a service call for his mistake would more than cover the waste factor

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
CScalf (08-14-2019), Jaws (08-14-2019), KAP (08-14-2019), spazman (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 618

Quote:

Epic

I do it for the love of God, Country, The Corps, Apple Pie, & Poontang!
The Following User Says Thank You to CScalf For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-14-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
Pro

And the plumber left me message, that the cartridge was indeed reversible, and it was apparently backwards. I didn't think I spent the money for the better quality faucet.

My plumber, who is 65, says he is still going to run clear pex......

My Facebook Page
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
CScalf (Yesterday), Jaws (Yesterday), MarkJames (Today), overanalyze (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,906

Old dogs and all that.....
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #12
Pro

I have known this guy all my life. And he is slow. I mean slow. Takes a week to rough in a house. Average house. He has done repair work most of his career because most contractors won't use him because he is slow. But he is damned good. His work is perfect.

He also cannot bid anything. He is so used to working by service numbers, meaning so much an hour plus parts, that he can't guess at anything. But he has been my plumber for nearly 20 years now....why? Because I bid for him using numbers I find that work, like $750 an opening (drain) and I buy the materials, and it works out...hours and money.

I have had other plumbers want to do our work...and if it is out of town a long ways, or out of state, obviously. But other plumbers will not do labor only quotes for me....and I am the GC that buys everything.....it is a model that works for me. In return though, my plumber is available to me every day, and my work is always a priority. I have let him do 120+ new homes, and he doesn't want to lose the clean work to go back to repairs and crawling under houses.

But damn, he is stubborn. I am glad I am not like that.

My Facebook Page
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
CScalf (Yesterday), hdavis (Yesterday), Jaws (Yesterday), MarkJames (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #13
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,670

Quote:
I have known this guy all my life. And he is slow. I mean slow. Takes a week to rough in a house. Average house. He has done repair work most of his career because most contractors won't use him because he is slow. But he is damned good. His work is perfect.

He also cannot bid anything. He is so used to working by service numbers, meaning so much an hour plus parts, that he can't guess at anything. But he has been my plumber for nearly 20 years now....why? Because I bid for him using numbers I find that work, like $750 an opening (drain) and I buy the materials, and it works out...hours and money.

I have had other plumbers want to do our work...and if it is out of town a long ways, or out of state, obviously. But other plumbers will not do labor only quotes for me....and I am the GC that buys everything.....it is a model that works for me. In return though, my plumber is available to me every day, and my work is always a priority. I have let him do 120+ new homes, and he doesn't want to lose the clean work to go back to repairs and crawling under houses.

But damn, he is stubborn. I am glad I am not like that.
Brother I hope you mean top out in a week. A week to run dwvs in a 3/2? Your more patient than me lol

I did my house dwvs in one day with my brother. Head test and all, past inspection first go around, no drips.

Top out with pet and manbloc took 1.5 days... we are carpenters... lol

I'd love to be paying 750 an opening again...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Joasis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #14
The Sheriff

Just curious - do you buy the HVAC materials/equipment and wire for sparky? Seem like that would be a bigger pain that its worth.

John
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #15
Pro

No I don't, not on electrical or hvac.

The basic bid from the sparky is $4.70 a sq/ft and he pays for up to 12 cans, all boxes, panel, wire, fire, and even the door bell. I buy the fixtures. Fans and lighting.

HVAC guys get better deals then I get, unless I go eBay or Amazon....and then they don't or won't hook it up, or service it. They have us by the nads.

But I do buy equipment for commercial jobs at times. Smaller hvac contractors sometimes cannot buy a 60k 20 ton commercial air and spiral ducting. I add 10% and move on.

My Facebook Page
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,418

HVAC equipment suppliers around here will not under any circumstances sell to a non HVAC licensed contractor. There are very few companies (2 that I know of) who allow their units to be sold to the general public but if any supply house gets caught selling any of the other big manufacturers equipment to the GP they will lose their right to distribute the product. You canít even buy sheet metal parts anymore except from the 3 big boxes.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
HVAC equipment suppliers around here will not under any circumstances sell to a non HVAC licensed contractor. There are very few companies (2 that I know of) who allow their units to be sold to the general public but if any supply house gets caught selling any of the other big manufacturers equipment to the GP they will lose their right to distribute the product. You canít even buy sheet metal parts anymore except from the 3 big boxes.

I wish lumber yards would protect carpenters like the hvac suppliers protect the tin slappers
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #18
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Same, not aware of any that can sell them here to the general public

John
Old Today, 05:16 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,250

Quote:
No I don't, not on electrical or hvac.

The basic bid from the sparky is $4.70 a sq/ft and he pays for up to 12 cans, all boxes, panel, wire, fire, and even the door bell. I buy the fixtures. Fans and lighting.

Another great example why "how much" questions are not allowed.

I don't do sf pricing as a quote, but was averaging $5.00 or more 15 years ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Jaws (Today), Joasis (Today)
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #20
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Another great example why "how much" questions are not allowed.

I don't do sf pricing as a quote, but was averaging $5.00 or more 15 years ago.

That's what I thought, but when the last time you wired one with 12 cans?

Advertisement

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (Today)