Awkward Situation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Awkward Situation

Old 10-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Awkward Situation

I got myself into a little situation and I'm not sure what to do...I'd like to know what you guys think....a little rant also....

I had a key taken/stolen from a project I was working on....I know who has the key, I've met with her twice, and talked to her on the phone once. I can't get the key back!

When I'm working at a property I leave the key in the door while I'm there for the day so I don't misplace it, and a reminder to lock up when I leave. Well, until now!!

I'm working in a gated summer community 1-2 square miles. 90% of the properties are vacant from Labor Day to Memorial Day. The community has it's own deputized police force...real cops...The off season population is Institution personnel/grounds, contractors, cleaners etc... Everyone knows everyone, if not by name, than by description...crime rate is .0001%, one of the safest communities on earth.

I was building some shelves in a condo's mechanical room, not a residence. Someone was parked out front in the morning...silver Mercedes with NY plates (local). I was there all morning and left for 15 minutes to borrow a tool from another job. When I got back, car was gone, door was locked, and no key. There's a work permit taped to the window and materials on the porch, I was cutting all morning. WTF?? I was locked out, tools inside...Luckily, we had another key in the file, but still....

I got a hold of the property manager, described the vehicle so we were able to figure out who had taken the key....Just happens to be the most difficult woman on the face of the earth! She doesn't own a unit there, just staying temporarily!!!!!!

I tracked her down easily because everyone knows her since she owns a hotel on the grounds. I talked with her personally, apologized and said I understood the concern. She told me she couldn't get the key that moment (admitted she took the key) but she'd call me on my cell phone. She called with some story about an ex-con vagrant loose on the grounds. Sure I understood, seems legit, won't happen again.... where's the key??....leave the key in the mechanical room I told her.

No key...couple days later I go back and ask her again sternly, she has to look for it, maybe her handbag....I tell her to Leave the key in the mechanical room....No Key...

We worked for this woman in the past, as have every other contractor within 100 miles and everyone has fired her!! Even the counter guys at the lumber yard know her... unbelievable....

I've explained the situation to my PM and the VP...they both kinda laughed and had stories about what a wacko this lady is.....The PM and VP offered to help but this lady is a PITA and I feel it's my responsibility!

I'm thinking a few options....meeting with her one more time and asking for the key directly (confrontation), filing a report with the PD to light a fire under her and covering my a$$ in case something happens in the mean time, changing the lock on the front door temporarily so she can't get in herself until she produces the stolen key...just giving up and letting my PM e-mail the condo president and letting them deal with it.

Granted, I learned a lesson, the whole thing is ridiculous......

Last edited by WNYcarpenter; 10-07-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Re: Awkward Situation

I'd change the locks ASAP, then figure the rest out from there if more needs to be figured.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to CO762 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (10-08-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 550

Can you re-key or change the lock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post

I'm thinking a few options....meeting with her one more time and asking for the key directly (confrontation), filing a report with the PD to light a fire under her and covering my a$$ in case something happens in the mean time, changing the lock on the front door temporarily so she can't get in herself until she produces the stolen key...just giving up and letting my PM e-mail the condo president and letting them deal with it.

Granted, I learned a lesson, the whole thing is ridiculous......
I would skip the meeting with her, but do everything else. Then let PM have Condo Pres decide what to do about changing that lock permanently
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
wannabe

Funny....'Helen' was acting as a good citizen....I suppose....I was working there. She took the key because of my apparent lack of responsibility, but SHE lost the key. I had a couple thousand dollars worth of tools and materials accessible and all the other units were locked.

It's my fault, but....I still think she's a fVcking moron!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Tough call but id probably let the PM deal with it. So im taking it this woman has no ties to the property you were working on? If so wtf business is it of hers if you left the key in the door.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Jeff

And seriously if anyone is breaking into buildings there then the world has come to an end. She needs to mind her own damn business and let the police take care of security.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim40 View Post
Can you re-key or change the lock?
absolutely...the problem is if i swap out the lock, every unit owner has to have new keys made....That's a huge ordeal... 12 or 16 units...

I can temporarily change the locks to the lobby until this b!tch comes to her knees, but how much trouble do I want to create for my company.....I think I'm going to threaten her with a police report, and ask the officers to pay a visit or call. I'm not going to press charges because everyone knows she's crazy!

This is such a simple problem, but I knew as soon as that key was gone, the person i'd be dealing with would be difficult and with no common sense or intelligence. I was right.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
Tough call but id probably let the PM deal with it. So im taking it this woman has no ties to the property you were working on? If so wtf business is it of hers if you left the key in the door.
exactly!! there's a work permit posted on the door, and building materials on the porch!!!

she never looked to see if anyone was there...she saw the key and took it....insane
Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
exactly!! there's a work permit posted on the door, and building materials on the porch!!!

she never looked to see if anyone was there...she saw the key and took it....insane
Good thing she doesn't follow me around.Unless i'm working in the famous bradford ghetto the keys never leave the job, just get tucked somewhere where we can find it quick.

On a side note arrive at a job the other day to change an entry door to fill in one of the many rain days we've had. Go to turn the knob, SOB its locked. Took me 30 secs while doing no damage to pop the latch out of the strike and get inside.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
Good thing she doesn't follow me around.Unless i'm working in the famous bradford ghetto the keys never leave the job, just get tucked somewhere where we can find it quick.

On a side note arrive at a job the other day to change an entry door to fill in one of the many rain days we've had. Go to turn the knob, SOB its locked. Took me 30 secs while doing no damage to pop the latch out of the strike and get inside.
That's how we do it...generally a hiding spot...first one there finds the key unlocks and leaves the key, last one out locks up and puts the key back.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 1,357

Call the PD and report the key stolen. You have tried to get it back within reason. She is acting unreasonable and is a thief.

Let the law handle it and while they are put in a temp lock.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
loneframer (10-08-2011), MAULEMALL (10-09-2011), olligator (10-11-2011), WarriorWithWood (10-07-2011), WNYcarpenter (10-07-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Commerical Construction
Rewards Points: 150

park her in one day and dont move until she gives the key over, if she calls the cops they will be on your side
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #14
Fortune and glory, kid.

Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Rewards Points: 1,022

I think that before you escalate the situation, by confronting her or bringing the police into it, you should buck this up your chain of command.

It sounds as if your company has an ongoing relationship with this community and even though she isn't a resident she obviously has a relationship to one.

I would let your PM deal with it. He will contact the association and they can straighten her out. Maybe have the PM inform the association rep that if it's not resolved soon (24-48 hours) a police report will need to be filed to cover you all liability wise.

Maybe your PM will simply tell you to file a report, but I doubt it. This seems the kind of issue for the PM to resolve at this point so you can get back to focusing on your work. I would definitely let the PM run interference on this one.

And I don't consider your actions negligent; casual perhaps, but not negligent.
PA woodbutcher (10-10-2011), robert c1 (10-08-2011), WNYcarpenter (10-10-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Moorewarner is spot on---Let your boss handle it---

I'd have the locks rekeyed and new copies made for the home owners and just move on.

Any direct contact with a lair and a thief is a waste of space in your head.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Call the PD and report the key stolen. You have tried to get it back within reason. She is acting unreasonable and is a thief.

Let the law handle it and while they are put in a temp lock.
I agree with Leo 100%. She took something that did not belong to her = theft. Let the PD handle it. At least you will have a report stating the facts and if anything happens, she is also a suspect.

Change the lock or have re-keyed if the PM and VP are okay with it.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 272

If everyone that lives there has a key and she lives ther other than she shouldnt have taken your key what is the problem.
i mean why change the lock they all have a key anyway.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,444

Quote:
If everyone that lives there has a key and she lives ther other than she shouldnt have taken your key what is the problem.
i mean why change the lock they all have a key anyway.
She doesn't live there, she's there temporarily.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Mad Italian

Trade: Licensed Mason/Owner of small business
Rewards Points: 2,004

Steps to take:

1. Obtain bag of cement,water and glass.
2. Mix 2 spoons of cement with glass of water.
3.Drink the mixture
4.Now harden the f*** up,change the lock,threaten her with going to police,if does not work;go to police,then email condo PRES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Master View Post
I hate when a profitable job becomes a charitable write off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheItalian204 For This Useful Post:
kcremodeling (10-08-2011), oravik (10-12-2011), WNYcarpenter (10-11-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #20
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheItalian204
Steps to take:

1. Obtain bag of cement,water and glass.
2. Mix 2 spoons of cement with glass of water.
3.Drink the mixture
4.Now harden the f*** up,change the lock,threaten her with going to police,if does not work;go to police,then email condo PRES.
Thats a new one nice!

Advertisement