Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Pro
 
d-rock's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 250

Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


this is on a set of drawings i recently received to bid;
8SW18
i believe it represents an 8" C-Joist, but what is SW ? what do the letters and numbers peresent?
d-rock is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Pro
 
mikec's Avatar
 
Trade: Boss
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 600
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Check this out, I think it has the info you need.
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived310096.pdf

Advertisement

mikec is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Pro
 
rustyjames's Avatar
 
Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,346
Rewards Points: 1,834

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


I'm just guessing but I think SW might stand for solid web, as opposed to having the punched holes. And the 18 for the gage.

Last edited by rustyjames; 12-29-2009 at 06:02 PM.
rustyjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Carpenter
 
RizzoMaryland's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 514
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


American Standard Wide Flanged


Example:

8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.

Despite contrary belief, there is no such thing as an "I" beam. They are wide flanged sections.

(Similar to cinder blocks...they stopped making those decades ago...they are now CMU (concrete masonry unit)
__________________
"An idea is salvation by imagination"
Frank LLoyd Wright

Last edited by RizzoMaryland; 12-30-2009 at 09:14 AM.
RizzoMaryland is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RizzoMaryland For This Useful Post:
bwalley (12-31-2009), mics_54 (12-30-2009)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Pro
 
mics_54's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,067
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


I use the terms FIB, CMU and NFS alot to impress customers and make them ask what that is.
mics_54 is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Sound of a bell, with clapping in the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Check this out, I think it has the info you need.
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived310096.pdf
We have a winner.

A manufacturers number coresponding to a 8x18ga standard stud


Coming in dead last, and disqualified for specious guessing


Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoMaryland View Post
American Sstandard Wide Flanged


Example:

8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.

Despite contrary belief, there is no such thing as an "I" beam. They are wide flanged sections.


There are such things as an "I" beam. The inside of the flange of an "I" beam is not flat, and the flange width is much less than a comparable wide flange.

Beams are designated such as "S18x320" for a "standard" profile "I" beam 18" tall by 320 # per foot. A wide flange beam would have the written designation "W12x221" for a wide flange beam 12' tall, weighing 221# per foot. Some refer to wide flanges as "H" beams.

Of coarse the OP could have deduced that the plans probably were not calling for W8x18 24"OC
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Carpenter
 
RizzoMaryland's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 514
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Sound of a bell, with clapping in the background



We have a winner.

A manufacturers number coresponding to a 8x18ga standard stud


Coming in dead last, and disqualified for specious guessing






There are such things as an "I" beam. The inside of the flange of an "I" beam is not flat, and the flange width is much less than a comparable wide flange.

Beams are designated such as "S18x320" for a "standard" profile "I" beam 18" tall by 320 # per foot. A wide flange beam would have the written designation "W12x221" for a wide flange beam 12' tall, weighing 221# per foot. Some refer to wide flanges as "H" beams.

Of coarse the OP could have deduced that the plans probably were not calling for W8x18 24"OC
Your arrogance and narrow mindedness precede you.

There are NO SUCH THINGS AS "I" BEAMS. Your jobsite lingo and terminology are inaccurate and improper. The "I" beam you are referring to with a curved flange is an American Standard. A wide flange beam has a flat flange.

""H" beams"" and other similar terms used on a jobsite portray the lack of proper education on the materials. Now would you like to debate angles, legs and channels? Or square, round, and rectangular bars?
__________________
"An idea is salvation by imagination"
Frank LLoyd Wright
RizzoMaryland is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoMaryland View Post

""H" beams"" and other similar terms used on a jobsite portray the lack of proper education on the materials. Now would you like to debate angles, legs and channels? Or square, round, and rectangular bars?
The cyber spanking you are attempting to give me looses strength coming from someone who doesn't know the basic terminological difference between a 8sw18 steel stud, and a S8X18 American standard beam, colloquially referred to as an "I" beam by generations of Ironworkers.

I bet everyone thinks you are real smart when a freight car of structural iron shows up at your job, instead of a pickup load a steel studs
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Project Superintendent
 
mudpad's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 2,525
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


So what are you bidding D-rock? Metal stud framing or structural steel? I think I know the answer.
mudpad is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Carpenter
 
RizzoMaryland's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 514
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
The cyber spanking you are attempting to give me looses strength coming from someone who doesn't know the basic terminological difference between a 8sw18 steel stud, and a S8X18 American standard beam, colloquially referred to as an "I" beam by generations of Ironworkers.

I bet everyone thinks you are real smart when a freight car of structural iron shows up at your job, instead of a pickup load a steel studs

My mistake is that I should have read some of your previous posts prior to responding to you. The majority of them illustrate the cynicism that you demonstrate in this thread.

Please continue to provide useful knowledge and leave the BS for the uneducated that you learn your terminology from.
__________________
"An idea is salvation by imagination"
Frank LLoyd Wright
RizzoMaryland is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Cry me a river. The basic fact is that when the OP asked a metal framing detail question, you wrongly specified a heavy piece of structural steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoMaryland View Post
8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.
This is all BS babble, and all you can do is tell me I'm stupid because I realize that many refer to standard- and wide-flanged beams as "I" and "H"? You're the one who made the mistake, and continue to compound your mistake. You did not know the standard North American structural steel reference terminology. Big deal that you don't ever say "I" beam. I still don't see you getting a Nobel Prize in Construction anytime soon.

Last edited by Anti-wingnut; 12-31-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Pro
 
d-rock's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Check this out, I think it has the info you need.
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived310096.pdf
thank you sir
d-rock is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoMaryland View Post
American Standard Wide Flanged


Example:

8SW18 = SW denotes American Standard Wide Flange. 8 is the nominal depth in inches, 18 is the weight per foot of length in pounds.

Despite contrary belief, there is no such thing as an "I" beam. They are wide flanged sections.

(Similar to cinder blocks...they stopped making those decades ago...they are now CMU (concrete masonry unit)
I used to try explaining to people they were not cinder blocks, and they were concrete blocks, some people even call them cement blocks.
bwalley is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Pro
 
d-rock's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad View Post
So what are you bidding D-rock? Metal stud framing or structural steel? I think I know the answer.
metal (steel) structural stud framing. Usually it's not indicated this way. it'll just have a detail section and show 16ga. 8" CRM, which is standard 16ga 8" c-joist. in this drawing, the prefix they gave was foreign to me. I had an idea of what it was, but I wasn't certain.
d-rock is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
this is on a set of drawings i recently received to bid;
8SW18
i believe it represents an 8" C-Joist, but what is SW ? what do the letters and numbers peresent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
metal (steel) structural stud framing. Usually it's not indicated this way. it'll just have a detail section and show 16ga. 8" CRM, which is standard 16ga 8" c-joist. in this drawing, the prefix they gave was foreign to me. I had an idea of what it was, but I wasn't certain.
This is one reason why licensing is a good idea.

Obviously you don't understand what you are bidding on, how can you competently do the work?
bwalley is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post

Obviously you don't understand what you are bidding on, how can you competently do the work?
That is complete BS. The detail shown on the OP's plan was an obscure MS reference, one that many may not be familar with.
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
This is one reason why licensing is a good idea.

Obviously you don't understand what you are bidding on, how can you competently do the work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
That is complete BS. The detail shown on the OP's plan was an obscure MS reference, one that many may not be familar with.
That is a very common way to describe steel, it is not an obscure reference.

When I took the exam for my state of Florida contractors license, there were questions on steel like this and we had to work out the weights, heights etc. on them, the reason we are tested on this, is to prove to the state we know what we are doing.
bwalley is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


You're refering to 8SW18 as being a common metal stud designation? It must be a regional thing
Anti-wingnut is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
You're refering to 8SW18 as being a common metal stud designation? It must be a regional thing
No that is not a steel stud.

It is a wide flange steel beam or cloumn, depending on its location.

have you ever worked with steel studs that weigh 18 lbs per lineal foot?
bwalley is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Pro
 
Anti-wingnut's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,940
Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Anyone Know This Metal Framing Info?


I have worked all over the western US and never seen a steel beam referred to as 8SW18 on plans. They have always been referred to as W8X18 (sizes are merely for example).

I goggled (W8X18 steel beam) and got a ton of structural steel hits. I goggled (8SW18 steel beam) and got a single steel framing system hit.

??????????????

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Framing with metal studs Rich Construction 41 05-26-2013 01:13 AM
Atlanta,Ga commercial drywall and metal framing fman Help Wanted or Looking For Work 35 05-30-2011 08:47 AM
sub panel ground bars and grounding metal boxes jkfox624 Electrical 6 04-18-2010 02:01 PM
Price4 interior walls metal framing batukspec General Discussion 18 08-22-2008 05:30 PM
what is the going rate in metro atlanta for metal framing and droping ceiling moniquetrinh Commercial Construction 7 10-11-2007 03:28 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?