Anybody Else Having Problems At Their Lumberyards? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Anybody Else Having Problems At Their Lumberyards?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Anybody Else Having Problems At Their Lumberyards?

I guess because its just still slow around here but I cant seem to be able to get material. I'm not talking about whole framing packages or buying items in bulk. These guys around here won't keep sh!# in stock.

I've got three small building supply businesses here in town and between the three of them I cant get three pieces of door casing.

WTFing Hell???

Maybe I need to quit contracting and start my own lumber store.

It sucks having to drive 40 miles for 10.00 worth of material.

OK, I'm through bitching now.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Anybody Else Having Problems At Their Lumberyards?

Our oldest, 133 years, was taken over by
ProBuild a few years ago.
Now it's run by bean counters instead of
lumbermen.
They run out, stock weird lengths, order cheaper
species....
Welcome to the 21st century.

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,672

I can get the trim, it is interior doors, exterior doors, and a bunch of other stuff that 3 years ago was stocked.

Can they really expect someone to wait on a interior door when hd has about 500 in stock?
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (05-23-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

We've had quite a few go out of business and the stock has definitely dropped significantly at the ones that are still around. However, I have to say we can buy casing. That has got to be very frustrating SC!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Rewards Points: 2,000

Supply yards in my area are actually super busy right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

YES, very unhappy with the lumberyard I have dealt with for the last 3 years, corporate takeover or something. I am lucky though my sales rep went to another smaller family owned company. So I followed him. Cost 3-5%more but I get what I need and great service.
http://sacramentomillworks.com
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 58

My local guy is an ACE Hardware and they also run one heck of a commercial lumber yard. Excellent supply of materials and the fastest order time of extras, LVL's, TGI's Glu Lams etc that you can imagine.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

3" deck screws for 2 weeks!!

I think they are so tight for money they are trying to keep inventory down.

I've definitly noticed a problem for over a year.

another point for Hd.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughjazz View Post
3" deck screws for 2 weeks!!

I think they are so tight for money they are trying to keep inventory down.

I've definitly noticed a problem for over a year.

another point for Hd.

Got some framing to do up there in Canada?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Got some framing to do up there in Canada?
They mike holmes thing?

Not it's for decks honest I actually think I may be the only framing crew I've seen that uses screws for some things. (not walls)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I use pro build here but go through my mate who builds a lot of houses a year so he gets great rates and great service. By the way great service is not as great as it sounds. even though this guys spends millions a year on materials they don't stock sod all and i myself through him have been waiting for a double sliding door for 3 weeks which HD have had in stock the whole time! Lucky that the door is for family and not a customer. But yes these building supplies wonder why everyone is shopping at Lowe's and HD! The crazy thing is Lowe's will sell to me at their cost when i tell them i cant get certain material cheaper at Pro build. Been buying so much gear from them lately that they are starting to do me good on prices.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Yes same thing here the lumber yard I have been going to the last 10years or so raised the prices 10% higher than anybody else and doesn't stock 7/16" osb. Haven't been there in about 9 months now. Have been going to another one about 15miles away but actually stock a lot of stuff.

Cole
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

I haven't had any problems with the every day stuff locally
but I'm finding that some expensive items held in
stock can be bought pretty fairly.
I had to price out a 5'patio door for my last
project and the price was $300 less at the local
yard than a bigger Distributor .I guess because it was in stock
for awhile.
But when I priced out Andersen Replacements ,the
local yard(with truck load sale)was $60-$70 higher.
Calling around for pricing seems to be quite a
bit more rewarding lately.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Commercial Exteriors & Multi Family Remodel
Rewards Points: 274

I have had to order a bunch of things and pay for the fast shipping, that my dealer was stocking a couple of years ago. The inventories are down right now but I cant blame them, I know that I would not want to sit on a bunch of stock that is not moving.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Bad here too. Prices are fine, but no one is stocking large quantities except HD.

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

One thing that has always gotten on my nerves about those corporately run stores is that they let the computers decide what they have in stock based on how well an item sold in the last 2 fiscal quarters. I can see this being a good idea for some items but there are other things that can't be measured in that manner.

Like for instance pipe and pipe fittings. On any given day there will always be a dis-proportionate amount of those 2 items sold. So what ends up happening is that they will only have have 1" and 2" conduit in stock but only have 1" and 1" fittings! And then I'll spend half the day there trying to compare and match up different adapters that will make the stuff fit together.

That's why I don't mind going into the smaller Mom & Pop hardware stores like an Ace or a True Value and paying 20% to 30% over what it costs at the big box retailers.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

We have a local lumberyard that has been around a hundred years. Went in for hardi-board, they don't carry it. No drain tile. Asked for gutters and they said "no, but we install it" Unfortunately I'm forced to buy from Menards. Their service sucks, but at least I can get stuff on short notice and they are cheaper than Home Depot and Lowe's.
The Following User Says Thank You to abacab For This Useful Post:
neolitic (05-23-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #18
framing/millwork supplier

Trade: interior & exterior trim, window and door installs
Rewards Points: 75

I am in the lumber business at least until this Friday (my company officially starts June 1)
I work for an independent lumbweryars with 4 yards ...there are several factors involved in keeping inventory ....
First.... they only keep what they can turn .....if it does not turn it is tying up inventory dollars which equals cash flow ...most yards credit terms with mills and wholesalers are net 10 days.
Second..... is the stability of the market right now ...prices are moving up in increments of 8-12% not 1-2% but its going to drop and when it does it will drop that fast we are in a supply bubble right now and its going to popbringing prices down ...we do not want to order 3 trucks of osb today at 10.00 sheet and next week that same osb is 9.00 a sheet standard mark up on osb is 12% ...10.00 per sheet = 11.36 9.00 per sheet = 10.23 if a competitor holds out buys the 9.00 sheet ...we will not be competitive so we have to be prepared, to have room in our yard and CASH to buy the 9.00 sheet ...just in case.
Third ....could have been a spike sale ...my yard stocks 5 1/4" fj primed speed base but a majority of builders to cut cost began using MDF speed base ..so we cut our inventory stock (dollars) on primed and brought in MDF ...well I landed a builder that uses primed and did 3 houses ..house number 3 is about 300' short ...its not that we do not stock it..we ran out
in order to control our cash we can not bring in one product without cutting something else , we have to work within a budget
and another is TAXES .....
we own a door shop (Therma tru) ...we do not stock any doors we because will build as they are ordered ...for some reason when the Gov't taxes inventory the parts and components are not considered but units are considered as inventory and taxed ....so we do not build a bunch of units sitting on a shelf that will cost us money in taxes ....we have to pay an inventory tax on ALL material that is ready to ship, wether its a 1X2 grade stake or 2000.00 french door ...
Despite popular belief lumberyards do not make the money people think ...we did 22 million last year in sales at about 20% GROSS profit ...after expenses ...and there are a boat load from insurance to equipment maint. to payroll to bad debt write offs from contractors going under we made a little less than 2% net which is EXCELLENT because we were planning on losing money this year.
SO...there is alot that goes on at your yard behind the scenes that we do not put out in the streets ...Construction is hurting...you guy's are economically hurting, some are going under ...well it trickles down to us ..last year 6 of my fellow reps lost their jobs just like some contractors ...we are all in this boat together ...
Trust me (I can only speak for my company) we need you guys and you need us ..the owner of my company is carrying so many people's credit right now its scary ...Would you sleep at night if you did 22 mil last year but had people that owed you over 2 million dollars combined 90 days past due ...we veiw our customers as business partners and our owner keeps their credit going as long as he can and they show good faith and make an attempt to pay....and above reason is why you should buy from your local yard because your Pro-Builds and such you cant go to the owner and ask for help with terms and credit ..you do not pay they cut you off and file a lein....
Sorry I got way off topic but I have been a member for several years and do not post much but I read alot of posts and SOME come across as lumber reps are idiots and yards just do not care ...in some cases I am sure some reps are complete morons we have 1 that works for us now and is on the way out (no its not me)
But as a whole we really do care about you and our level of service but with the market and the economy we are like you ...trying to stay afloat and do the best with what we have to work with ....
sorry for the winded response ....try to by local if you can and remeber we are no different then you , families and etc. and for the reply .."maybe open my own yard "
If you can come with the capital, I would invest in a Krispy Kreme ...if need be you can eat your inventory if does not work out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvon104 For This Useful Post:
BuiltByMAC (05-26-2010), cbreeze (05-26-2010), oldfrt (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

I'm currently in the process of reordering
a third Oak Bi-fold door.
First two came through,boxed,with damage.
Kind of wondering if quality control is lacking,or
the yard is buying seconds.
Nothing worse than being in the middle of
a multi door replacement and having to constantly
re-schedule the HO to finish their project,then
find out another day and trip to the lumber yard
is wasted.
Two trips actually,one to return the door,and one
to pick up a hopefully quality product.
Next time I'm calling Leo to make some doors.

Advertisement