Any Regrets? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Any Regrets?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 151

Any Regrets?

I need some thoughts and I know every situation is different but it's nice to hear real world input from people who live it. I work in the oil and gas field as a plant operator and it's a gravy job with benefits, but I hate it,I have had a small construction company I started in 05 as a side business because I have two weeks a month off from my other job.

The past two years have been really busy, and I'm way behind and turning down jobs now, I've had customers wait months on me and it bothers me even though they are willing to wait. I have been working 16 hour days on my days off trying to stay remotely caught up and now I feel I have to decide which path to take.

I guess what I'm looking for is insight from people who use this as a livelyhood, do you regret it? Would you change it? I make a good living with benefits at my other job, I do the carpenter work because I enjoy it more so than the money I guess but I make really good at it too. I almost feel stupid even thinking about quitting my job in the gas industry because it's a job people around here wish they were blessed enough to have. I'm scared of I go full time it will turn into a "job" instead of something I love doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Noob

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Any Regrets?

If you love what you're doing, you'll never work a day in your life. Or something like that.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew6127 For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-03-2014), jb4211 (11-03-2014), Spencer (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Yea I have heard that before lol not sure if I believe it or not. When I'm at this plant I count down days until I'm off to hook to the tool trailer and get after it, I guess I fear loosing my passion for it and it being another job, a job that's not climate controlled and labor free like I have now lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Noob

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz View Post
Yea I have heard that before lol not sure if I believe it or not. When I'm at this plant I count down days until I'm off to hook to the tool trailer and get after it, I guess I fear loosing my passion for it and it being another job, a job that's not climate controlled and labor free like I have now lol

I hear ya. I was much happier framing houses but kids need insurance so I am a part timer. Sucks, I miss it.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

It's been a tough year for sure, and I if I didn't have some money from other things I don't think I could have made it.
A few key questions: can you push yourself to work all month? Having those office jobs will let you rest, some months you don't get that opportunity.
The next thing is can you find the work to stay that busy? I thought it would be easy as I always had people wanting work done, but that month worth of side work on the weekend is a little more than a week in real life.
It's a lot to think about, and I would just plan it careful, and have some $ set for paying personal bills at first. If you have 3 months worth and some work set up then it's a good place to start.
My case was different so I didn't have that luxury, I was kind of just thrown into it when I found myself with out a job.
bob hutson (11-04-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Well I hit pretty close to 40hrs a week now (averaged over a month) and things are steadily stacking up, and as far as insurance my wives job has insurance I can get on it's just a little pricy. For some reason I'm not worried about having enough work I feel like I will be fine. I'm just worried I will end up regretting a steady set paycheck very two weeks no matter what and that I will for some reason stop loving it because it will become a have to not a want to situation

Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,436

I guess if I was in your shoes and knowing what I know now...I'd have to put this all down on paper with a precise business plan and see where that took me. Hire someone to help you with the plan...go over every positive and negative you can come up with for both scenarios.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,596

I would keep the oil job
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
FRAME2FINISH (11-03-2014), j_sims (11-04-2014), Sabagley (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,016

Pay your self a salary, it will give you a sense of steady income

John
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Don't quit the day job.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
j_sims (11-04-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I would keep the oil job
Ditto, and I'm a guy that spent 6 years in the patch. I walked away from it as a directional driller. I was making unspeakable money, but I never left the rig. After 9 months straight I was fried. Try going 9 months without even SEEING a woman!

Raise your prices a bunch and the huge workload will slow. If it doesn't raise them until it does. Keep your day job.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 74

I would keep the oil job. It's guaranteed income and benefits. Why give that up to try earning that income back at a much riskier endeavor? You get two weeks off every month. That's more than enough time to get your construction kicks in if you really love the work that much. Methinks you like construction so much because it's your hobby. Make it your everyday job and it'll start to suck like every line of work eventually does.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
Contractor

Trade: Trim and Light Remodel
Rewards Points: 228

I think I disagree with the trend here. I would say hang on to the day job as long as you can stand it, but start getting all your ducks in a row. If you hate your job your life will pass you by and all you'll have to show for it is some money in the bank that you won't be able to take with you anyway. Get a plan together, raise your prices to the point that you only get 2 weeks of work a month, then ease them back and sub out what you can. The biggest downside to construction is the toll on your body, so start looking at how you can so what you love and sub the rest out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kolbym For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-03-2014), SmallTownGuy (11-02-2014), Spencer (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
Don't quit the day job.
If he does quit ...I'll take the oil job!!
Big Shoe (11-04-2014), brickhook (11-02-2014), Calidecks (11-02-2014), flashheatingand (11-03-2014), jlsconstruction (11-03-2014), Sir Mixalot (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Take all the advice on here with a grain of salt. We all come from different angles and none of us know your true situation. Trust yourself and do what you think is best.

Money is a big deal in life. No money can cause a lot of problems. So can a job you're not happy with.

I would never go back to working for the man but then again, I didn't have a high paying job in the oil industry. Take it slow and don't make any hasty decisions.

If you don't feel like you'll look back at your life as a waste if you don't do your own thing I think I'd keep the job. You've got to be 100% determined that this is all you want or I don't think you'll make it. You can't let yourself look back at the fluffy oil job or you'll be miserable. This has to be all you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #16
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbym View Post
The biggest downside to construction is the toll on your body, so start looking at how you can so what you love and sub the rest out.
That's a huge one, of course.

bigz, how old are you, how long have you been a plant operator, and what sort of security and chance for advancement do you have with that job?

It's never too early to start thinking about where you're going to be when you're 50-60 years old and somehow not quite as invincible as when you were 25. Physical work is great when you're in your physical prime; later on... not so much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
jhark123 (11-08-2014), SmallTownGuy (11-03-2014), TxElectrician (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rookie View Post
I would keep the oil job. It's guaranteed income and benefits. Why give that up to try earning that income back at a much riskier endeavor? You get two weeks off every month. That's more than enough time to get your construction kicks in if you really love the work that much. Methinks you like construction so much because it's your hobby. Make it your everyday job and it'll start to suck like every line of work eventually does.

Yep my biggest concern

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
That's a huge one, of course.

bigz, how old are you, how long have you been a plant operator, and what sort of security and chance for advancement do you have with that job?

It's never too early to start thinking about where you're going to be when you're 50-60 years old and somehow not quite as invincible as when you were 25. Physical work is great when you're in your physical prime; later on... not so much.

I'm 28. Let me share a little more about my background, I started out in roofing and siding and done really good and then this job came up and I jumped on it. Well after a year or so of side jobs I realized I was a cash money hack. I decided if I was going to do it I was going to do it right. I got everything legit and them I was blessed to gain a friend who is a jam up trim guy and staircase builder. I told him I wanted to learn and he loved the idea of passing his knowledge along.

The past couple of years he has shown me so much and my business has greatly benefitted from it and I have a great reputation for trustworthiness, I don't like discussing fiancées, but the last year or better I have been able to put 4 digit numbers in savings monthly and instead of buying toys with my side money I have been letting it build up and reinvesting it, bought a skid steer with brush cutter I also hire out but I pay a operator.

As far as physical goes. I work 16 hour days when I'm on side jobs and work 24 on days I work off nights from plant them do side job the following day so this should be a welcomed slow down lol and my business has shifted to a majority of trim work instead of more physical jobs

Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz View Post
As far as physical goes. I work 16 hour days when I'm on side jobs and work 24 on days I work off nights from plant them do side job the following day so this should be a welcomed slow down lol and my business has shifted to a majority of trim work instead of more physical jobs

I have no clue what you said there.

Trim work is a lot easier on the body than framing [for example], so if there's enough demand in your area for such a specialty long term, it could be a good move. And at your age, if it doesn't work out there's still time to re-think your career choice.

OTOH, the plant job has predictable hours, benefits, and is likely to be there for the indefinite future if you don't screw up. If it's likely that you can earn a reasonable income with that while building a good retirement fund, it might be wise to stick with it and just keep doing side jobs for the gravy as long as you care to.

Tough decision. It always is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #20
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Physical work is great when you're in your physical prime; later on... not so much.
You got that right, Tin. All I have left now is my voice. Since it's no longer fashionable to yell at the trades, I'm taking yodeling classes.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (11-05-2014), Tinstaafl (11-03-2014)