Any Advice On How To Control Employee And Payroll - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Any Advice On How To Control Employee And Payroll

Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4
Any Advice On How To Control Employee And Payroll

So i have had many employees but because of the lack of monitoring it has affected finances, how do i go about implementing monitoring employees like when they get to a project and when their on lunch etc..

Second question how are you guys efficiently doing your payroll, are you doing it yourself? Hire someone to do it. Any ideas on these topics would help out please and thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Manager/Diplomat/Builder

Trade: Lead Carpenter
Rewards Points: 392

Re: Any Advice On How To Control Employee And Payroll

Your post is really vaugue for being so specific. How many employees do you have? Do you work side by side with them? I'm guessing not. Do you have a project manager, or job lead who your trust to run jobs and keep tabs on all your employees?
I think if you do not have a rock solid office manager to keep track of payroll, taxes, licenses, etc, you had better get one. That is one position in a company that a lot of people underestimate. They keep tabs on and control a lot more then you think.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4

Well that's the situation the company is my dads and I am trying to get more involved in the company and I am a little hazy on how to go about all the stuff I mentioned above. As of now I am taking over his office and organizing everything. His plan is that he goes out the field gives bids and I will administrate his office. For example i just renewed his bond. Any advice for a beginning office manag. would be greatly accepted and thank you darthdude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

There are portable time clocks---or you could simply have the crew call in when they arrive on site---

A little more information about your operation would help---do the workers drive company trucks or personal vehicles?

Is a supervisor on site?

Do you pay for travel time?

A small operation often benefits from using a payroll service---
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,610

As all have mentioned, what kind of employee burden are we talking about?

If you are the office manager and have the time, doing your own payroll isn't difficult. Knowing what you need to know about depositing the withholding taxes and the calender for filing the forms is critical.

Late penalties and failure to file penalties will kill any savings you would see for DIY. Actually would probably cost significantly more.

I use Quickbooks payroll. I get the subscription from BJs or Sam's Club when I buy a new version of Quick Books. It's usually cheaper than just the subscription and the upgraded QB is just a bonus. It can put one in pretty good control of all payroll expenses and burdens.

As far as time clocks and time monitoring, you are going to have to have someone in the field whom you trust. Truth be told, working with employees whom you can't trust will go well beyond payroll problems.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,124

Let the numbers talk. If people are consistently over budget and over schedule let them go. If others are always ahead of budget and schedule who cares when they take lunch. If you have no one in the field you trust enough to set the tone/pace you have a serious issue. There is no easier way to keep track of where people are at than to put gps on their work phone, but who wan'ts that kind of a boss.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

Trade: Electric, Plumbing, General Contracting
Rewards Points: 2

pay them by the job not by the hour things will move along a lot more quickly and proficiently
Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR Handymen View Post
pay them by the job not by the hour things will move along a lot more quickly and proficiently
Piece work is even more effort to track.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,322

There's no project schedule and nobody is tracking progress?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

There might be some useful hits in this search
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ga...TF-8&oq=&gs_l=

Advertisement