Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

another rip off story

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of building my own house. the cabinets were being installed last week. A tall cabinet that house the oven and micro had extra drawers in it that had to be removed to make the openings for the two. So im thinking to myself as they told me that "great i have 3 sets of soft close drawer glides coming my way".

the istallers finish up the salesman inspects calls me up from my house tells me how great they look ,yadda yadda.

I go out there and notice theres no drawer glides left and someone took them. He tells me "I took them for when the ones on the drawer go bad and i give him a call wanting it fixed he'd have them" . I tell him their mine I paid for them and what you did was steal. bastard. Then I told him that i wanted all the maple crown replaced because the installers caused chip out on every cut they made. he wasnt happy .

#4 ·
he did bring the glides back. And no the drawers werent in the specs, but when questioning the installer he said thats the way the manufacturer builds them. So i'm guessing if thats they way they build them thats what i've paid for. He only took the rails and not the undermounts and not the three extra drawers. I know all this extra stuff must tally 400.oo plus

#5 ·
Not my trade, but this seems like scrap to me. Do you leave all the leftover/partial materials on your jobs? IMO my contracts include the materials to complete the contract.

Someone could say the used wire I pull out of a job is theirs. They'd be welcome to it. If they got upset that I took it, I'd return it & make a note in their file. BTW, I give the scrap to a good friend so I could care less if a client wants it. It's garbage to me.

#7 ·
WOW you sure showed him:rolleyes:

First your tag says you do inside/outside trim.

So your a trim Carpenter that paid somone to install Kitchen Cabinets?

Second you called the installer a theiving Bastard over some drawer guides? Did you ask him to return them first or did you just jump straight to the insults?

Ripoff or A**hole HO:whistling

#8 ·
The answer is clear. Assuming the drawers were not in the specs,

If you bought the cabinets, paid for them directly, and hired someone separately for labor, the manufacturer owns the glides and drawers.

If you bought stock cabinets and the cabinets you bought included the drawers, AND you bought the cabinets separately from installation, you own the glides.

If you purchased the cabinets installed, then you don't own the glides because you bought a finished package, not materials.

#9 ·
here it goes. Im not defending myself. but yes i do trim (i'm doing the trim in the house),yes i bought the cabinets yes i bought the install. If you read slowely enough you'd see the period like this . bastard, meaning i said it to myself. sorry for the post.:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Like I told a HO who wanted my extra deck boards when I finished the project, "you didn't purchase the materials, you purchased a finished product. It doesn't matter how much material was delivered to your house, only that when I'm done, you have a finished deck."

You're cryin' on here like a HO. This is a site for contractors...ONLY.

Mac

#12 ·
I'm in the process of building my own house.
here it goes. Im not defending myself. but yes i do trim (i'm doing the trim in the house).....

Dude...you are defending yourself.

By your lofty standards, I am an:
- architect
- landscaper
- electrician
- plumber
- framer
- sheet rocker & taper
- painter & wall paper hanger
- carpet cleaner
- dog walker
- chef
- auto mechanic
- computer repairman
- appliance repair man
- doctor
- lawyer
- teacher
- chauffeur
- accountant
- trim man
- and more!

Of all these jobs, there is only one I charge people for.

#14 ·
I'm still kinda new here but the bs meter was makin some racket when I read the initial post.
If you do all of that work in your signature box professionally , than you should be able to answer this yourself.
When you frame something do you leave the extra material behind when you bought the material? How about those hot mop roofs you do, I'll bet you don't leave any #90 felt behind for some future project the HO may have on his wish list. How about casing and base, are you willing to part with the extra when you forked over the coin for it in a firm bid?
My guess is no to all.

Does anyone here know of anyone that mops tar and trims? :no:

#15 ·
Lets see>>>
If I Purchase 20 percent extra for waist for my jobs I should leave them for the customer? Hmm Doesn't sound right.

Did you pay extra for the drawers to be removed?
Should he have left you the cardboard boxes the cabinets came in ( You did pay for them also) And you can use them to move in (Not like the drawer glides.

Sounds like you are just being an ^%(*

Bad karma will come back to you my friend!

#17 ·
after reading all the other posts I believe I am wrong. I just found it hard to see that when the drawers were left behind and the slides were taken.

And No after looking at the specs there are no drawers in the cabinet.

Drawers will be returned today.

As far as my spelling I tried to correct that in the past and I couldn't manage. :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.