Another HA Thread: Sorry - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Another HA Thread: Sorry

Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Another HA Thread: Sorry

HA is really making a name for themselves .I belong to a guitar players forum and just ran acrossed a thread about them on it.Guess what ? A disgruntled consumer .Was upset with the contractor.
I have always heard that bad press is better than no press at all but I'm not so sure about that these days.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

Re: Another HA Thread: Sorry

What is HA?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Windwash For This Useful Post:
Rio (01-17-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
all else fails dynamite

Trade: Fencing/Landscaping Contractor 2nd Gener Carpenter
Rewards Points: 750

Those twol letters can mean two very different things Ive been a biker for 35 years please clarify your talking about homeboy avizor
1985gt (01-17-2016), Rio (01-17-2016), SticksandStones (01-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccurateCut View Post
Those twol letters can mean two very different things Ive been a biker for 35 years please clarify your talking about homeboy avizor

Don't think he came to contractor talk to mention his local 81 hooking him up with a bad contractor. I'm gonna guess it's home advisor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
1985gt (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruzze1 View Post
Don't think he came to contractor talk to mention his local 81 hooking him up with a bad contractor. I'm gonna guess it's home advisor

You never know what kind of shady deal the local 81 will get you involved with...
Old 01-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
You never know what kind of shady deal the local 81 will get you involved with...

I watch a lot of gangland!!

The Following User Says Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
1985gt (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

I had a referral call me and she said she couldn't find me on any of the 'good' websites.

"What sites would those be, ma'am?"

Her talking to me like I was retarded -
"Homeadvisor and Angies List, of course! I only deal with reputable companies!!!"

"Me too."

"Then how come you're not on there?"

"I only deal with reputable companies."

She still didn't get it and told her I'm really busy, so I won't be able to meet with her (and waste my time) for at least 3 weeks.

"Well, I need this done immediately."

Good (for me )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (01-17-2016), RangoWA (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
all else fails dynamite

Trade: Fencing/Landscaping Contractor 2nd Gener Carpenter
Rewards Points: 750

those two compamies now really boast fair price buncha crap. What about fixing crap work done by someone else before real work can begin
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

AL and HA is for people that believe what they see on TV.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
AL and HA is for people that believe what they see on TV.

People are sheep. They see tons of tv commercials and advertising for these companies and they sign up. Contractors may not believe in these companies since its beneath us but the average homeowners I've dealt with using these angies etc love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
People are sheep. They see tons of tv commercials and advertising for these companies and they sign up. Contractors may not believe in these companies since its beneath us but the average homeowners I've dealt with using these angies etc love them.
Advertising works on the masses and it's no accident most of them are on a retard level. I don't see HA as beneath me, I tried it but the quality of customer was low, very cheap and demanding. And I did little more than break even. They do misrepresent themselves to people though, their background check consists of you forking over a few hundred dollars.

I do consider AL as beneath me because they wanted me to hand over my customer contacts so they can recruit them into the fold and the sales guys were very dishonest and talked in circles.

Now they both do some price guarantee? People are dumb enough to believe it but how do they compare work? Seems like they are mining for the bottom dollar deal and people think all work is the same.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
Advertising works on the masses and it's no accident most of them are on a retard level. I don't see HA as beneath me, I tried it but the quality of customer was low, very cheap and demanding. And I did little more than break even. They do misrepresent themselves to people though, their background check consists of you forking over a few hundred dollars.

I do consider AL as beneath me because they wanted me to hand over my customer contacts so they can recruit them into the fold and the sales guys were very dishonest and talked in circles.

Now they both do some price guarantee? People are dumb enough to believe it but how do they compare work? Seems like they are mining for the bottom dollar deal and people think all work is the same.

Depends on the trade as has been discussed many times on here. A $15000 bath or $30,000 custom kitchen would be a much harder sell through these companies but a $1500 -$2000 gutter job seems to work well.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,859

Back then I had many calls from Service Magic. I thought it is a local company. I think you have to pay AL and HA. So not for me. I will stick with CL.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Back then I had many calls from Service Magic. I thought it is a local company. I think you have to pay AL and HA. So not for me. I will stick with CL.

What if you could charge $80 per hour instead of $35. Would you spend the money to join?

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
1985gt (01-19-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 5,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shelby View Post
I had a referral call me and she said she couldn't find me on any of the 'good' websites.

"What sites would those be, ma'am?"

Her talking to me like I was retarded -
"Homeadvisor and Angies List, of course! I only deal with reputable companies!!!"

"Me too."

"Then how come you're not on there?"

"I only deal with reputable companies."

She still didn't get it and told her I'm really busy, so I won't be able to meet with her (and waste my time) for at least 3 weeks.

"Well, I need this done immediately."

Good (for me )
I got a call the other week. The lady starts asking 100 questions about my insurance, license, warranty and everything else. It came off a little annoying to answer my phone and get grilled but I am in business so what could I say. I go look at what she needs done. She has a half finished basement in a 100 year old house. Whoever started the project did a particularly terrible job. There where so many things about this job that where not just hack but dangerous.

Of course I walked away from it. She was of course very insulted. The irony of it is she asked all these questions to make sure she was talking to a top notch company when what she needed to ask was "are you comfortable working without a permit" The two things don't jive. I wounder how many good contractors will turn her down before she gets it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSmith View Post
Of course I walked away from it. She was of course very insulted. The irony of it is she asked all these questions to make sure she was talking to a top notch company when what she needed to ask was "are you comfortable working without a permit" The two things don't jive. I wounder how many good contractors will turn her down before she gets it.
I seriously doubt she will ever get it, for some people a good deal isn't good enough. They want the professional service but want it for third world rates. I call them special people. They deserve it because they're special.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I would think for what you do one of these types of marketing would do well. You seem to be aimed to the type of customer who likes the quick easy type of contractor so they don't have to do much research in hiring a quality contractor. Not saying you or people who list with these types of services are not quality contractors, more saying the customers are lazy who want more bang for their buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
What if you could charge $80 per hour instead of $35. Would you spend the money to join?

It's $37.50 now ya jerk!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (01-19-2016)