Another Contractor Gets Robbed Story. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Another Contractor Gets Robbed Story.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
General Contractor-HMFIC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18

Another Contractor Gets Robbed Story.

I know its my own fault but damn. I left my veto propak in truck last night and woke up a victim of a string of vehicle robberies at the hotel I'm at. They left a pancake compressor and my fluke multimeter but took the bag, big box of bits and blades and my business bag. I wish they would have left the bag. At least they didn't bother checking my truck box. Probably 2k in power tools in there. I moved them to a storage room in town right after glass was replaced. Years of half the time leaving truck unlocked with all kinds of goodies in plain sight and one time I locked it I get robbed. Kind of ironic but I learned very expensive lesson. Hard hit for a life long tool addict. Now I just feel like a tool.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Re: Another Contractor Gets Robbed Story.

That sucks man.. I feel your pain. 9 times out of 10 the thief is only going to sell your stuff at a pawn shop for pennies on the dollar.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Some scum bag broke into a house I was doing in the winter. Stole about 3k in random stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherron View Post
I know its my own fault but damn. I left my veto propak in truck last night and woke up a victim of a string of vehicle robberies at the hotel I'm at. They left a pancake compressor and my fluke multimeter but took the bag, big box of bits and blades and my business bag. I wish they would have left the bag. At least they didn't bother checking my truck box. Probably 2k in power tools in there. I moved them to a storage room in town right after glass was replaced. Years of half the time leaving truck unlocked with all kinds of goodies in plain sight and one time I locked it I get robbed. Kind of ironic but I learned very expensive lesson. Hard hit for a life long tool addict. Now I just feel like a tool.
It only takes one time my Friend. My kids laugh at me because I run out to get coffee and I make them lock the truck... They call me paranoid, but nothing walked from my truck in 30 years.

Pull up to a convenience store, and take a look around the stuff people leave out without locking up and if someone with a bad intention, they can have a field day with everything exposed, not to mention, some trucks even left running.
It only takes 15 seconds to clip the unlocked truck, not to mention take something out of it, but people are to na´ve or don't know any better to leave theirs s^*t for grabs like this.

My electrician, ran in into a box store to get a plate cover... the whole Makita drill set gone.
My painter went in to get towels... the sprayer is gone.
HVAC guy, ran upstairs to see what he will need for a service call, they cleaned out his whole truck ( on the busy street with 100's of people around).

This guys do this day in and out, that is what they do for a living and they're just as good at that trade as we're at our... so lock your s^*t up, because it can happen to anyone in any neighborhood and keep in mind it usually happens in places were you least expect for it to happen... because places like that make the best target area.
dkillianjr (05-04-2013), MattK (05-05-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
PROcrastinator

Trade: Residential Renovation
Rewards Points: 158

Dherron,
Don't worry too much. Those little scum bag useless turds will get what they deserve.
These idiots steal cause they have no skills to make real money.
Hopefully mister smith and wesson are around next time..

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they'll get it.
Sorry about the bad luck
Adam
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Locked or unlocked it doesn't matter. If they want in they get in. I was walking stuff into a house on the far south side of Chicago. Took two trips in, always locking up. Between the second and third trips I stopped to chat with the client for about 3 minutes. Went back out to my truck everything looked fine, until I went to put the key in the sliding door lock. Where the lock used to be there was a hole. I thought, "This crappy old van. The lock must have broke off in the door when I shut it.

I would have been so lucky. I realize something isn't right, open the door and look around. My van was a mess from the night before. I usually am OCD about my stuff, but had a long late day and just threw everything in.

It wasn't until I started grabbing more things to take in that I noticed things missing. They got about 3k worth of tools in less than a few minutes. They screwdrivered my lock. I guess it's a quick tap and twist with the lock and it pushes the lock off of the mount and the twist occurs before the lock falls off the driver.

Sucks, but such is life when we live in a fallen world.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Locked or unlocked, it's not your fault that somebody jacked your gear.
CarpenterSFO (05-04-2013), hdavis (05-04-2013), larry228 (05-07-2013), MattK (05-05-2013), spazman (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,556

Cameras - all kinds, everywhere. Heck, I'll even put a game camera out that will flash when it takes a picture, and cover it with a concealed video camera. I've considered getting a GPS tracker (one that fits in an envelope), but those are $$$.

Now if it were legal to turn your vehicle into a stun gun
Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Trade: Masonry / tile
Rewards Points: 45

Driving in downtown Baltimore one day and saw the " greatest" theft ever. If your familiar with Baltimore it was on Martin Luther King blvd middle of the day. Pickup truck stopped in heavy traffic, from over a 5' wall comes about 10 - 12 kids ages 13 - 17 or so and clean him out in seconds. Half lean on the doors so he can't get out the other half empty the bed of tools. Felt bad for him.

Same road same thing but with a couple who had mountian bikes on the back. Pure precision.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelz67 View Post
Driving in downtown Baltimore one day and saw the " greatest" theft ever. If your familiar with Baltimore it was on Martin Luther King blvd middle of the day. Pickup truck stopped in heavy traffic, from over a 5' wall comes about 10 - 12 kids ages 13 - 17 or so and clean him out in seconds. Half lean on the doors so he can't get out the other half empty the bed of tools. Felt bad for him.

Same road same thing but with a couple who had mountian bikes on the back. Pure precision.
And I thought cars parked on the side of the road getting stripped in 2 minutes was bad. I'm not sure what to do about this one...
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Welcome to Baltimore city.

Can totally see that happening on 395 (MLK Jr Blvd).
The Following User Says Thank You to Mud Master For This Useful Post:
hdavis (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 614

Tear gas bomb in the bed of the truck......roll windows up......LYAO!

Don't mean to make light of the situation.......sorry for the loss. Not the VETO!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to JackP23 For This Useful Post:
TAHomeRepairs (05-05-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelz67

This would be one solution:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bdf_1...873&comments=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor Handyman For This Useful Post:
JackP23 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Handyman View Post
Yeah just don't put that button beside the unlock button.
hdavis (05-04-2013), TIGHTER MITER (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 508

Always heard the story about the guy that got a flat tire in a toll booth in NYC. Pulled thru the booth and over to the side. Went back got his jack out and was walking back up to the front and the hood was up an some guy under it. He hollered "Hey" and the kid looked at him and said "you can have the tires man, all I want is the battery."
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolNut For This Useful Post:
tedanderson (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 1,084

In September I was finishing up a job and for the entire job I left my trailer at the site with not issues. Anyways had about 2 hours of work left at the job the next day. The night before I was loading tools into my trailer. I left the job at 10 and arrived the next morning at 7 and my trailer doors were open. And about $3500.00 worth of tools were gone. It's a terrible feeling of helplessness and rage mixed together.
CarpenterSFO (05-04-2013), hdavis (05-04-2013), MattK (05-05-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

There are people who spend all day looking in trucks at the convenience store, or walking down the street checking every door. It's pretty upsetting when it happens to you.

I've recorded a few job-site break-ins with my security cameras - on one of my jobs, and a few times when my security cameras recorded burglaries on sites next door or across the street. Sub's employees or pickup day laborers, every time. That guy you saw looking in the job box, who doesn't work as hard as his friends, is planning to steal your tools.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 05-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
hdavis (05-04-2013), MattK (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolNut View Post
Always heard the story about the guy that got a flat tire in a toll booth in NYC. Pulled thru the booth and over to the side. Went back got his jack out and was walking back up to the front and the hood was up an some guy under it. He hollered "Hey" and the kid looked at him and said "you can have the tires man, all I want is the battery."
That used to happen a lot on the Cross Bronx Expressway just past the GWB in the late 70's. We were told, don't leave the truck at all, drive it on the rims if you get a flat.

I used to do a lot of work in Newark and one guy would try to steal your battery as the second guy would open the back door and the third would stand by your window. All while waiting at a traffic light on Market st.
Always leave space between your van and car ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
ToolNut (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Decorative Asphalt Guy

Trade: Decorative Asphalt/Concrete restoration/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 326

Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kagO9DXTPWo
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
That used to happen a lot on the Cross Bronx Expressway just past the GWB in the late 70's. We were told, don't leave the truck at all, drive it on the rims if you get a flat.

I used to do a lot of work in Newark and one guy would try to steal your battery as the second guy would open the back door and the third would stand by your window. All while waiting at a traffic light on Market st.
Always leave space between your van and car ahead.
The only places on earth I've ever had people approach my window at traffic lights trying to sell me bottled water and oranges were Newark and Mexico.

First prize one week in Newark, second prize two weeks in Newark.

Advertisement