Another Article Bashing Contractors

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Another Article Bashing Contractors

http://realestate.msn.com/10-ways-to...ab4eee&_nwpt=1

And this is what I posted at the bottom of the article;

I did not even read this article because it is just another one bashing contractors making them all look bad.

Yes SOME are bad just like any other profession giving all the good ones a bad name. The very FACT of the matter is there are more bad customers than bad contractors. This is pure speculation but from my experience there the ratio would be around 1 bad to 40 good contractors with about half of that for customers (1 bad customer to 20 good).

Like every other business decision, and it is all business, you should always treat it as such no matter what. That is what the contractor is doing so you should too.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Another Article Bashing Contractors

Many customers have only themselves to blame for poor work done to their homes. That is what they get for looking at tradesmen as a commodity and only being interested in the lowest price. Eff'em!

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doubleoh7 For This Useful Post:
bauler (07-28-2011), MortarForker (07-27-2011), thomasjmarino (07-27-2011), Tom M (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

eff them is right. lots of customers complain about shoddy work but why blame the contractor when they went with the "best deal"
first off they get 10 estimates all averaging lets say 10k. then some guy comes in a 7500 and the choose him and then find out the guys a hack and blame everyone but themselves. i have NO SYMPOTHY for customers like that. screw em !...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davinci For This Useful Post:
thomasjmarino (07-27-2011), Tom M (07-27-2011), woodworkbykirk (07-28-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

This happens to a lot of trades. Same happens with mechanics. Some guys have a lot of training and certifications with the tools, experience and equipment to back them selves up. Then there are the part changers out there who shotgun parts at the problem until it is fixed. It only takes a couple hacks to make everyone look bad. Again, the consumer us just as much at fault for taking the cheap way out. Does the consumer think that joe smoe down the street has the same capabilities to repair their car like the dealer does. Sure he is cheaper and there is a reason why. If a Tech at a dealer with hundreds of auto genius's backing him cannot fix your car then who can?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,842

Non-profit that helps homeowners avoid being ripped off. That should be all you need to know. Why not put the onus on customers to be good customers, pay your contractors a fair price and treat them like craftsmen. I suppose that would be no fun. People will not think twice about having a 10,000 dollar paint job on their muscle car, but 10,000 to paint their house sounds like a ripoff. I agree, screw 'em and eff 'em.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Agree.....it's the damn Wal-Mart effect.......low price does not mean quality but we as a nation, and provider sector, have to deal with the Wal-Mart effect. The customer won't complain when the $100.00 lawn mower craps out after a year, but they will complain when the substandard contractor they hired craps out. I explain the Wal-Mart effect to many of my clients looking for low price over quality. I explain the age old adage " you get what you pay for" multiple time a year. Some get it, some don't. It's the ones that get it that I choose to work with. I'll choose to sit and wait for those who choose price over quality.......they will call me soon enough to fix what the low price hack screwed up and when they do, I charge them double. Same thing goes for those who saw it on DIY or HGTV and thought they would try that huge remodel themselves. Fixing hacks mistakes seems to be keeping me busy. If everyone did things right from the start, it would make my life a lot harder. Just be careful not to fall into the first category or I will be servicing your clients for years to come.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 2

It's MSN.........what did you expect? GIGO
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Tube Installer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post

I did not even read this article because it is just another one bashing contractors making them all look bad.
You probably should have read the article before starting a knee-jerk reaction thread about it. All of the points it makes are valid and most of them are are ideas that are discussed on CT every week. They even quote someone who says: "We're not saying all contractors are dishonest the majority of them are just the opposite. It's just that some dishonest people pretend to be contractors". Ain't that the truth.

It is a little enlightening that although the article did not bash contractors this thread quickly turned into an "Eff them!, they get what they deserve!" bashing of homeowners.

Is it any wonder why so many question the integrity of contractors? Who wants to hire someone who rushes to judgement and is so quick to blame others...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-28-2011), MAD Renovations (07-28-2011), Mike Finley (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Want to play a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
You probably should have read the article before starting a knee-jerk reaction thread about it. All of the points it makes are valid and most of them are are ideas that are discussed on CT every week. They even quote someone who says: "We're not saying all contractors are dishonest the majority of them are just the opposite. It's just that some dishonest people pretend to be contractors". Ain't that the truth.

It is a little enlightening that although the article did not bash contractors this thread quickly turned into an "Eff them!, they get what they deserve!" bashing of homeowners.

Is it any wonder why so many question the integrity of contractors? Who wants to hire someone who rushes to judgement and is so quick to blame others...
Are you on the same planet? I did not read it because it would be just like the other 100 articles I have read about how contractors are such dirt bags.

We always get the bad rap when things go wrong. Where are all the articles about the bad H.O.s? I do not see them as often as I see this type of article. I have seen one and it was freakn awesome because FINALLY some justice! Also it is the truth, there are more bad customers than bad contractors!

WOW they had one stupid sentence saying that all contractors are not bad. Of course they did. They want to cover their butts. Give me a break.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus

I DID read the article.

"Ask for 4 references instead of 3?" You consider that great advice?

"Don't give the contractor your money? Meet them at the store and pay for things yourself?" If you've got time to wait around for people........nevermind.

Customers who do the things this article mentions ~usually~ are difficult to deal with.

I'm not saying people shouldn't protect themselves or that contractors should be dishonest, but I respectfully disagree with you - this article does very little to help the customer/contractor relationship get strengthened in a positive way.

Anyway, journalists ~usually~ use teaser titles to get you to read/watch whatever they're plugging. (There, I put a disclaimer in to cover me. Does that make my post legitimate to describe all journalists now?!?)

Last edited by svronthmve; 07-27-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

If you look at the comments, there is even some dumb ass contractor who posted a reply on the article starting it with "I didn't read the article..."

How do you comment on an article you haven't even read?

Talk about adding to the stereotype of all contractors are morons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-21-2011), MAD Renovations (07-28-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
Want to play a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
I couldn't agree more.

If you look at the comments, there is even some dumb ass contractor who posted a reply on the article starting it with "I didn't read the article..."

How do you comment on an article you haven't even read?

Talk about adding to the stereotype of all contractors are morons.
Well a discussion is what I was expecting from experienced tradesmen but I didn't know we came here to call names.

You try to belittle someone for their experience but in the same post you call them names like you were back in grade school.

That "dumb ass" was me.......................
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Want to play a game?

Well I will tell you this is not what I come here for. I posted this thread so others might clear up a few things and maybe post a reply on that particular article so H.O.s could get a clue as to what a contractor has to put up with.

So with that being said I am going to stop posting on my own thread in hope that others will do just that. I feel that I will end up defending and fighting back with other members and the thread be shut down. Believe me I have mentioned it many times before that this is construction and you have to have tough skin. I don't mind being called names but I sure as hell am not going to sit here and take it! I will fight back!

To Mike Finely if I don't need a computer screen to sit behind and be a tough guy. If I was standing right in front of you, you would get a big F**K YOU from me. I am done and happy posting!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Pro

After you get done FUing everybody, why don't you go read the article you think bashes contractors?

How you don't read the very article you are posting about is beyond me.

Here I'll post an article about Florida Orange juice and you can rant about the high cost of plywood?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-21-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by svronthmve View Post
I DID read the article.

"Don't give the contractor your money? Meet them at the store and pay for things yourself?" If you've got time to wait around for people........nevermind.

Customers who do the things this article mentions ~usually~ are difficult to deal with.

I'm not saying people shouldn't protect themselves or that contractors should be dishonest, but I respectfully disagree with you - this article does very little to help the customer/contractor relationship get strengthened in a positive way.

Anyway, journalists ~usually~ use teaser titles to get you to read/watch whatever they're plugging. (There, I put a disclaimer in to cover me. Does that make my post legitimate to describe all journalists now?!?)
The article is about protecting consumers from storm chasers, not typical contractors.

Quote:
Natural disasters grabbed the spotlight this year, with tornadoes leaving behind billions of dollars' worth in damage and floods swallowing communities along the Mississippi River. And that doesn't even factor in hurricane season, which started June 1. Thousands of people have found themselves rebuilding or dealing with repairs as a result of nature's bad behavior, which is the cue for con artists and grifters to move in.
Maybe if some of you actually READ THE ARTICLE?

Besides the point, if there is something in that article that your business can't stand the scrutiny of, then maybe you should think about how you run your business.

You all can rant all you want about how homeowners are so bad, but that doesn't change the facts that your peers have kept home improvements businesses on the top 10 list of consumer complaints for the last 15 years in a row. Pretend the industry doesn't have a problem all you want.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-28-2011), Jaws (08-21-2011), slowsol (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley

The article is about protecting consumers from storm chasers, not typical contractors.

Maybe if some of you actually READ THE ARTICLE?

Besides the point, if there is something in that article that your business can't stand the scrutiny of, then maybe you should think about how you run your business.

You all can rant all you want about how homeowners are so bad, but that doesn't change the facts that your peers have kept home improvements businesses on the top 10 list of consumer complaints for the last 15 years in a row. Pretend the industry doesn't have a problem all you want.
Didn't say the industry doesn't have its problems. Just don't feel the article really helps things out. I have no problem allowing my business to be scrutinized. However, I don't look for needless ways to set myself up for hassles either.

I normally enjoy your posts Mike. I don't think there's anything wrong with healthy discussions. I think feathers have gotten ruffled all the way around. Perhaps we need to stop p'ing in the Cheerio bowl tonight?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Tube Installer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
I DID read the article.

I wouldn't say it is great advice but it's pretty good. Better advice would be to ask your friends and neighbors, or someone else you trust, to refer you to a contractor. It never happens but I would pull out a dozen references if it was likely to land me a job that I thought would be good for me.

Quote:
That line is prefaced with "In an ideal situation, the contractor should buy the supplies". That is excellent advice. If you have a contractor that allows homeowner supplied materials I'd have to agree with not giving them any money. The HO should in that case pay for the material themselves and accept full responsibility for it.

Quote:

The rest of the advice of checking that your contractor is licensed and insured, and reading the contract carefully or getting help to read it, is great. We all want that from customers. The HO working with their own insurance company to settle claims and verifying coverage is also great advice. We want that also.

Taking precautions if you live alone is common sense and pretty good advice. Checking with the BBB is OK if it makes someone feel better, but whatever, this may be the least helpful point made in the article.

Hiring ones own inspector may show the contractor that you don't trust him but it's also not a bad idea. An architect fills this roll perfectly on a lot of projects and I would often recommend a HO hire one. Either way a good contractor should have no problem with someone competent(!) looking over their shoulder. I like to show off my work to anyone willing to look.

Quote:
Agreed. Like us they have to sell a product to generate a paycheck.

All in all I think the story gives good, generic advice to people who may have no idea how to work with contractors. It is our burden to take over where the article leaves off with educating potential customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:
Beanfacekilla (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Licensed Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
You probably should have read the article before starting a knee-jerk reaction thread about it. All of the points it makes are valid and most of them are are ideas that are discussed on CT every week. They even quote someone who says: "We're not saying all contractors are dishonest — the majority of them are just the opposite. It's just that some dishonest people pretend to be contractors". Ain't that the truth.

I agree 100%.

I am surprised how many of you hate homeowners.

The article didn't even bash contractors. It just gave a bunch of tips (some are stupid) on how HO's can protect themselves against crooks and unlicensed, uninsured, and unqualified "contractors". Heck, many of you think you are the best at what you do. What does it matter if they ask you for 4 references?

Also, do you think this one article is going to change everything? Probably 95% of the nation never even read this article.

There are a whole bunch of crooks and bad people out there. The HO is hiring someone they might not even know, and giving them alot of money. The HO should be careful. At the very least, if people listened to this atricle, the unlicensed contractors would not be able to get work. Is that a bad thing? They are out there, these unlicensed people.

In my class to get my builders license, there were more than a couple people that already had established businesses. They had been working for years without a license. I don't care how much they know, or how good they are at what they do. Companies will even advertise that they are licensed, when they are not. Many people don't even check. In my state the fines are very expensive for unlicensed contractors. Of course, like every other law, it is not enforced. Perhaps if these unqualified people just got into trouble once in a great while, they would get licenses, or just get out of the trades.

This article was just a few pieces of advice for HO's. It was not bashing contractors in any way in my opinion.

Last edited by Beanfacekilla; 07-28-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

this sort of thing drives me nuts. you give a price and they say "your too bloody expensive, what makes you so much better"

#1) i will leave you with a finished proffesionally done house, they wont
#2) if by chance something does go wrong i will come back and fix it at no addional cost to you, the other guy will do things so something goes wrong then charge you to fix it
Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Interior Remodeling Specialists
Rewards Points: 500

I did not think it was that bad it could of been alot worse.

What i did notice was it seems to be written from an insurance company. Who is looking to keep the intelligent contractor out of their insurance claims. They probably lose millions a year because when a contractor is involved they wind up paying a fair amount more for the damage, as opposed to what they pay to HO acting alone

Advertisement

The Finest in Interior Renovations