Always Ask - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Always Ask

Old 12-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

Always Ask

One of the things I learned a long time ago as a carpenter is always understand why you're doing whatever it is you're doing, always ask questions. If something doesn't make sense in your head, you think something might be wrong. Chances are you're right, something is being over looked, left out, or directions are being misinterpreted.

And if you're on the opposite end, say you're the guy in charge. Don't get uptight when someone asks a question. I disagree with the notion of a manager or lead carpenter saying "Just do what you're told." I think it's the impatience or ignorance that causes a lot of failed projects. I see stuff like this way too often.

Always ask-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1483230411.348940.jpg
Always ask-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1483230440.684056.jpg
Always ask-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1483230465.764212.jpg
Always ask-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1483230501.799036.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennMacMoragh For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2016), KAP (01-01-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 918

Re: Always Ask

Sometimes two is a crowd.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
brickhook (01-01-2017), KennMacMoragh (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #3

Trade: Awnings
Rewards Points: 162

You are giving people too much credit, If everyone could see the bigger picture of what they are doing they wouldn't be the grunt doing it!

The same reason the man in charge is so impatient is because he is constantly dealing with people second guessing his decisions. It gets old very quick, It is not something you want to deal with. I have dealt with these type of people in the past and they can not see past their own ideas.

Those photos you have shown are plan layout errors, and we all know the people doing this knew it made no sense, but the plans said it so they did it. And that's how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificCanvas View Post
You are giving people too much credit, If everyone could see the bigger picture of what they are doing they wouldn't be the grunt doing it!

The same reason the man in charge is so impatient is because he is constantly dealing with people second guessing his decisions. It gets old very quick, It is not something you want to deal with.
There is a lot of people who want to give their opinion for the sake of hearing their own voice. Those people need to be shut down
Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Carpet Installation
Rewards Points: 80

LOL this is great!! HAHA I got a kick outta the door way up there. YEESH
Old 01-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

The stadium cheap seats are for the guys watching the game on their iPhones.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Commercial--I get paid to install it. I'm not the architect, I'm not the GC, I'm the installer and I install. If you want it undone, I'll undo it after I install it, then install something else, but first, I'm going to install what I am paid to install.

Sent by XM 177 DoubleTap
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krok For This Useful Post:
KennMacMoragh (01-01-2017), MonsieurBon (01-01-2017), sparehair (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,738

I've seen doors up high like that before. In my experience they are used to get things upstairs that wouldn't be able to go up the stairway. Especially in the case of "L" or "U" shaped stairs.

My rule is that if I do what the print says, I'm not liable.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Johnson View Post
I've seen doors up high like that before. In my experience they are used to get things upstairs that wouldn't be able to go up the stairway. Especially in the case of "L" or "U" shaped stairs.
I hope they have a sign on the other side "Watch your step".
Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 182

Quote:

Definitely not true.
A court looks at you as a construction professional and in the event of a gross error on the plans you should recognize this and take appropriate steps to correct the issue.

A guy running the job, GC or Super knows when to listen and who to listen to when issues arise. If they don't they are dam fools....
sparehair (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,442

Quote:

Ha. You build that winding stair the way the architect drew it with all the winding treads pointing to the apex and see who gets the red tag, you or the architect.
Attached Thumbnails
Always ask-img_5328.jpg  
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificCanvas View Post
You are giving people too much credit.
Sometimes I do, but I think you know what I mean. If your worker continues to argue even after you tell him not to worry, or if he flat out refuses to do what he's told then he needs to be yelled at and/or terminated. But if he brings something up simply so he can understand what's going on and avoid mistakes then you need to listen or you will be the one paying.

Quote:

You also have to remember the first page on any set of prints will say must confirm to building code. If you build something out of code even though it illustrates it on the prints, technically you are not doing what the print says. Architects always make mistakes that are building code violations but you have to be the one to catch them. If he draws a door and forgets that door is on another level then you can't just build it that way and put a door up to the ceiling. Building code says doors require a landing in front of them. And you already signed a contract saying you will build to prints while the prints say must confirm to current building code.

Advertisement